Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

57 minutes ago, El Syf said:

On a more serious note does anyone have nay recommendations for metallic reds? Don't really like GW's non metallic armor on the blood knights.

Painting one of thier contrast paints over a metallic base can create a nice colored metal. I am doing my Necrons with a base of stormhost silver on black primer, followed by Warp Lightning Contrast. This is the result:

IMG_20201002_123606052_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210113_205646912_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

The Blood Knight one is an odd one. 

I personally don't see Blood Knights as a "hit and run" unit. As amazing as that would make them, they don't feel like such a unit. I do like the idea of them crushing through ranks of enemies into units behind them. 

What would represent this better IMO would be if they were allowed to move at the end of the combat phase. So you'd charge in, chop the enemy unit, end of combat phase you can make a normal move across them and do some mortals. Leaving you free to move and charge in your next turn. 

Ofc that'd leave them hanging out in the open to get charged...so maybe you'd only want to move out in the enemy combat phase and not your own. 

Anyway, that aside, I just don't see Blood Knights as a unit that charges in, disengages and then charges back in. 

Perhaps in AoS 3 a charge move will be your move +2d6 like it used to be in fantasy? So you could then quite handily charge across and over enemy units if you're close enough? I actually think that'd be quite fun and cool. And you don't get the feels-bad if you don't make it in because just like with AoS now you don't have to declare charge targets. 

You'd just:

1. Declare you're charging
2. Roll 2D6 and add movement for charge distance
3. You can move up to the total
4. If you make it within 1" of a unit, you successfully charged that unit
5. If you can't feasibly make it within 1" of a unit then you can only move up to your movement char. 

I dunno. Unlikely tbh, that'd be a massive change. BUT it would mean the Blood Knight rules now make sense. 

The rule endless legions , triggers each turn? so if a unit of 40 zombies , dies in turn 1 in turn 2 i can do a +5 check and put replacement unit of 20 zombies , and in turn 3 i can throw the dice again and i could have another unit of 20 zombies? even if only the initial unit of 40 zombies died?

• Confused 1

Aos just needs to keep rules more consistent across the board. Simply having Blood Knights being able To declare another charge if they wipes out the unit on same turn - and being able to pile in and attack later is more consistent with the Ironjaw rules . 

6 hours ago, Aren73 said:

Nah, all we have is that there are some armies with good battalions and some with not so good and GW wants to level the playing field a bit. 

For all we know they'll just add a bunch of new universal ones in the book and call it done. 

I really hope they don't get rid of them, I really like the Fellwing Flock - I'm a huge fan of Vargheists and the Fell Bats models are lovely, plus it's a nice little buff. I was really happy when I saw that in the book and I hope it stays for matched play. 

Based upon the preview videos, there is one battalion in the pitched battle profiles, Legion of Shyish, that was not covered in the book (Ash only reviewed 4 battalions). I keep wondering if this is the "core battalion" and it gives me hopes that core battalions will be in addition to the battalions in the battletomes.

36 minutes ago, Aren73 said:

What would represent this better IMO would be if they were allowed to move at the end of the combat phase. So you'd charge in, chop the enemy unit, end of combat phase you can make a normal move across them and do some mortals. Leaving you free to move and charge in your next turn. 

Ofc that'd leave them hanging out in the open to get charged...

Yeah, that would be a total nothingburger of a rule.  Worse than nothing, it would be a trap rule.  Most of the time, it would be actively worse than just sitting in combat.

As is, assuming they get to charge on the turn they use it, it's fine and perfectly fluffy.  They trample right over the little guys to charge targets that thought they'd be safe behind the front rank.  Or they trample over a unit only to turn around and charge from the other direction, trampling over them again and never staying still long enough for regular soldiers to get to grips with them.

It's maybe not the rule for the bold hero and monster hunters that some seem to want blood knights to be, and that to be fair that GW has often sold them as.  But it's a perfectly sensible rule for a sneering, arrogant unit of condescending aristocratic knights, the sort that would demand their enemies meet them for a 'fair fight', decrying use of range weapons, skirmish tactics, or weight of numbers as 'cowardly', but who would never think of entering a fight without the expensive weapons, heavy armor, mighty steeds, and years of professional training that render a duel between them and a common peasant rising up against their tyranny anything but fair.  Which, even if it's not the characterization blood knights are normally given, /is/ a fantastic characterization for vampire cavalry, particularly in the tradition of vampires as a metaphor for feudal aristocracy - preening parasites feeding off the resources of the land and the labor of the people while offering nothing of value in return.

So yeah, not necessarily the best rules for Kastelai knightly orders, which are presented in the lore more as how the knightly aristocracy saw themselves rather than how they were seen by those beneath them, but absolutely spot on for those of Neferata's or Mannfred's sort.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Angela said:

Based upon the preview videos, there is one battalion in the pitched battle profiles, Legion of Shyish, that was not covered in the book (Ash only reviewed 4 battalions). I keep wondering if this is the "core battalion" and it gives me hopes that core battalions will be in addition to the battalions in the battletomes.

I think that's the mega-batallion that heald 3 wounds isntead of 1D3

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, idn0971 said:

Has anyone leaked the anvil of apotheosis rules in the new white dwarf yet? I want to build a working wight king and a more interesting vampire lord but I can't find them.

Should arrive in the post tomorrow, I can take pics in the evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Zaerion said:

The rule endless legions , triggers each turn? so if a unit of 40 zombies , dies in turn 1 in turn 2 i can do a +5 check and put replacement unit of 20 zombies , and in turn 3 i can throw the dice again and i could have another unit of 20 zombies? even if only the initial unit of 40 zombies died?

I believe no.  The new unit is a "replacement unit", which seems to indicate that you no longer count the original unit as a destroyed unit in future rolls.  However, if the new replacement unit is itself destroyed, I believe you can bring it back at half of that strength, which would be 1/4 of the original strength. This could carry on for the whole game--1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc., etc.

8 minutes ago, elescapo said:

I believe no.  The new unit is a "replacement unit", which seems to indicate that you no longer count the original unit as a destroyed unit in future rolls.  However, if the new replacement unit is itself destroyed, I believe you can bring it back at half of that strength, which would be 1/4 of the original strength. This could carry on for the whole game--1/2, 1/4, 1/8, etc., etc.

This was my initial understanding, but it doesn't seem to be clear and obvious. Unless addressed in an FAQ I think you can look to bring back the original unit again and again.

23 minutes ago, Liquidsteel said:

This was my initial understanding, but it doesn't seem to be clear and obvious. Unless addressed in an FAQ I think you can look to bring back the original unit again and again.

I agree that it could use some clarification (probably in the form of a core rules section about "replacement units"), but honestly you have to consider the alternative.  You definitely can bring back the replacement unit if it dies, so if you can bring back every unit that died every turn, plus the new units you bring back, plus the replacement units for those if they die, you could have 100's of extra models on the table by the end of the game. That is so clearly not the intent for this rule.  It's meant to be a diminishing return on your slain units, not a way to multiply them.

Edited by elescapo

22 minutes ago, elescapo said:

I agree that it could use some clarification (probably in the form of a core rules section about "replacement units"), but honestly you have to consider the alternative.  You definitely can bring back the replacement unit if it dies, so if you can bring back every unit that died every turn, plus the new units you bring back, plus the replacement units for those if they die, you could have 100's of extra models on the table by the end of the game. That is so clearly not the intent for this rule.  It's meant to be a diminishing return on your slain units, not a way to multiply them.

Currently as the rule is written you only get to bring back one unit per turn. That much is clear no matter what.

However, as it written, it can be any unit that has been slain previously, unconditionally. So you can pick the same unit that was slain in turn 1 in every subsequent turn. No matter if you revived it before. No matterif the replacement is still on the field.

The case for this not just being rules as written but even rules as intended is strong, because Groslav has a revive ability in the same book that does explicitly not let you do this. And going further back, Gloomspite Gitz resurrection is very similar to Gravelords, except it also has rules preventing reviving one unit multiple times and chain reviving.

So, until the FAQ, feel free to resurrect 100 zombies out of 1 dead unit of 40 if you can pull it off.

• Like 3

Anyone else having issues with the WarCom warscroll list builder? Some new characters appear but not all, gravelords split between older sub-factions. 

Is the site usually updated by now or do we have to wait?

51 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

if you can pull it off.

Rolling 5+ instead of a command point and after trampling 3 units, rolling a 1...

this is going to be hated by both sides, those who alpha the mob, just to have four half-mobs returning and those who never get anything out of it 🤣