Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

1 minute ago, Honk said:

But who’s gonna buy? 10 archers get 2.5 wounds, so -1hp on a 4+ 🤔 rather have 5 puppies frolicking around or throw a bolt... but you do you

If we’re talking X-Mas again... bats as 24“ bound endless summoning spells 😱 with „objective secure“ 

For a tournament list, I like my cheap units that sit back on an objective or zoning out an area to contribute some damage if possible. So doing 1 wound a turn is fine,  However, if our elite Vampires are fast enough then it is whatever. But right now, a 10" moving Blood Knight unit or a 14" moving Zombie Dragon does not match up with threat ranges/distances of Orruks that can Mighty Destroyers, or other things that get double movement (Hero phase move OR something that drastically increases their movement speed). I agree that Vampires should be super fast, I just hope GW writes rules that actually reflect that. Because right now a lot of armies have ways to make their units really move around the board.

6 minutes ago, BaylorCorvette said:

Because right now a lot of armies have ways to make their units really move around the board.

My FleshEater zoom across the Board.

but my legion of the Night experiment was quite successful, summoned half my army from gravesites... I was inexperienced and not on point, but calling 40 skellis and 60 zombers right on objectives was funny.

the seraphon mob killer spell dealing 20 mortals wasn’t 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Don’t see Vargheists on that list 😧

Yeah please don't forget the Vargheists (I'm painting 6 right now 😄). I really hope they stay to represent the feral vamp gone too far without blood. Also make some cool rules so they aren't just flying ogors like today. Something representing their frenzy in combat, like 6's to hit do 2 hits and something fluffy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KratosvonCarstein said:

feral vamp gone too far without blood

They wrote something like that for the Underworld gang, blood tokens to see if your vamp is well fed and can think straight...

that could be a funky new system, kinda like the old chaos dreadnaught 👻

Loose a bloodpoint every hero phase and if there is a melee within 12“, you might turn feral, get extra attacks and storm into the fray 🤔

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Souleater said:

Or Cadaver Pandas..

🧐That’s a raccoon... does it steal things?

I hope they can tie that all into an interesting fun to play bundle...

the classic undead walkers horde, the elite bloodknights, the reemerging vermin theme, tricky to please all in one book

• Like 1

I know it is mean to be a cat, but it's so rough that it looks more like a racoon.

Probably it steals souls or eyes...

I think they can fit multiple build types in.  Orruk warclans would be a decent example  one can go elite pure IJ, horde with Bonesplitters. 

I don't mean an exact copy of OW, just that I think it is possible.

Fingers crossed!

Edited by Souleater
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Souleater said:

I think they can fit multiple build types in.  Orruk warclans would be a decent example  one can go elite pure IJ, horde with Bonesplitters. 

I like this kind of thing a lot.
What i care about more is that i can use all of the models i like in friendly games and dont care about all the themed lists.
If i want to run skellies with vampires and rats/bats/cats i want to be able to do that, even if its not winning any tournaments or doesnt make any sense fluffwise.

I also like running squigs with a scuttleboss and fellwater throggoths, i even ally in some orruk morboys if i feel like it.
I just want to be able to do all the things and have fun.

Edited by Iksdee
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Honk said:

They wrote something like that for the Underworld gang, blood tokens to see if your vamp is well fed and can think straight...

that could be a funky new system, kinda like the old chaos dreadnaught 👻

Loose a bloodpoint every hero phase and if there is a melee within 12“, you might turn feral, get extra attacks and storm into the fray 🤔

Sounds very cool!

The most important thing I want from this new book are unique and fun rules (different roles) for each warscroll and subfactions/battalions that makes sense lorewise.
In addition something like vampiric powers would be great to be able to customize the Vampire heroes.
Lastly some warscrolls that can stand alone without synergies would be great to greatly enhance varietes of list.
Make it possible to go all out with Vampires but also make it viable to mash together some different unit types. Buffs like +1A to Vampire Lords and Blood knights for example feel too narrow when you compare it to things like Seraphons -1 dmg... armywide.
Vince V talked about this in his last Warhammer weekly, 45 degree angle design is essentially it, combining linear and modular design. :)

7 hours ago, KratosvonCarstein said:

Yeah please don't forget the Vargheists (I'm painting 6 right now 😄). I really hope they stay to represent the feral vamp gone too far without blood. Also make some cool rules so they aren't just flying ogors like today. Something representing their frenzy in combat, like 6's to hit do 2 hits and something fluffy.

Yes, Please! I’m painting 12

2 hours ago, Televiper11 said:

Will Speculchral Guard port over?

Almost certainly. The Fyreslayers and Sylvaneth battletomes included their respective WHU warbands so it'd be weird if SGL didn't do the same.

Whether they're actually any good as a unit compared to, say, using them as stand-ins for a Wight King/Skeleton Champion and random skeletons, that's another matter.

5 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

Almost certainly. The Fyreslayers and Sylvaneth battletomes included their respective WHU warbands so it'd be weird if SGL didn't do the same.

Whether they're actually any good as a unit compared to, say, using them as stand-ins for a Wight King/Skeleton Champion and random skeletons, that's another matter.

Yeah I just want to use them as alternate models but I think they’ll need rebasing

I doubt the guard will need rebasing if you want to use them as skeleton warriors.  IIRC the new ones have been confirmed to be on the same bases, though I can't find the facebook post about it anymore.

I'm fairly confident that everything which isn't in another codex and does currently have a plastic model will remain in ~some form~, though it may be getting a new model and it might be merged with another unit.  The long list:

Spoiler

Leaders

• Nagash - probably gone, that's an obr hero now
  • Arkhan - probably gone, that's an obr hero now
  • Mannfred - Almost certainly there, probably with the same model.
  • Neferata - Almost Certainly there, probably with the same model.
  • Vhordrai - an open question, since he doesn't have a bespoke model.  Could get demoted to 'generic vampire lord on zombie dragon but with a name in the background lore'.  Or he could be promoted to bespoke model with a partial re-sprue of the existing zombie dragon.  Or could be left as is, a special character with no distinct model to speak of.
  • Kritza - Basically confirmed
  • Radukar - he'll definitely get rules.  Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Torgillius - he'll definitely get rules.  Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Gorslav - he'll definitely get rules.   Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Halgrim - he'll definitely get rules.  Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Annika - She'll definitely get rules.  Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Vampire Lord - confirmed with at least one new model
  • Vampire Lord on Steed - very likely, but still crossing fingers for signs of a new model though
  • Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon - Basically confirmed, I expect with the same model
  • Blood Palanquin - Very likely to stay imo, and with the same model.
  • Coven Throne - Very likely to stay imo, and with the same model.
  • Wight King on Steed - confirmed with new model
  • Wight King on foot - almost certainly there, may or may not get a new model
  • Necromancer - almost certainly there, may or may not get new model
  • New generic zombie hero version of Gorslav - very likely
  • Cairn Wraith - probably gone, that's a nighthaunt unit now
  • Tomb Banshee - probably gone, that's a nighthaunt unit now
  • Other new heroes we haven't seen yet: I don't know.  Probably?  At the same time, though, this is already a very long list.  One could even call it 'excessive' or 'bloated', especially if all the warhammer quest heroes make it in and Nagash/Arkhan aren't removed.  And that's not even touching on the rumors that FEC might get rolled back into the gravelords.

Misc

• Sepulchral guard - Probably included, but not clear yet whether they'll have bespoke rules or just count as Deathrattle Skeletons'
  • Crimson Court - Probably included, but not clear yet whether they'll have bespoke rules or just count as Vampire Lords
  • Faction Terrain - Probably?  Then again, the mausoleum kit already exists and fits this faction's concept and aesthetic, so it's plausible that kit might get re-packaged as soulblight faction terrain.
  • Faction Endless Spells - Probably?  Then again, the FEC spells - a stampede of dead horses, a cemetary wall, and a floating chalice of blood - already exist and fit this faction's concept and aesthetic.  There are rumors of FEC possibly getting rolled back into the Gravelords, and if that happens we may just end up sharing their spells.  Otherwise, yeah, we'll probably get new endless spells of our own.

Units

• Skeleton Warriors - confirmed with new models and name change to 'Deathrattle Skeletons'
  • Deadwalker Zombies - confirmed with new models
  • Direwolves - basically confirmed, still crossing fingers for new models
  • Black Knights - basically confirmed, probably with the same models imo
  • Hexwraiths - probably gone, that's a nighthaunt unit now
  • Spirit Hosts - probably gone, that's a nighthaunt unit now
  • Grave Guard - not clear yet whether they carry on as their own unit, with or without new models, or get demoted to 'Deathrattle Skeletons'
  • blood knights - confirmed with new models
  • fell bats - confirmed with new models
  • bat swarms - basically confirmed with new cursed city models
  • rat swarms - will definitely get rules, almost certainly in the book since kritza's basically confirmed
  • ulfenwatch - basically just deathrattle skeletons, but might get bespoke rules if halgrim is treated as a unique unit champ
  • vykos bloodborn - will definitely get rules, no confirmation that they'll be in book or get a separate model release, but imo very likely
  • cursed city zombie ogres - I forget their names.  Will definitely get rules, no confirmation that they'll be in the book or get a separate model release.  imo somewhat likely, but I'm not as confident of them as I am with the vykos.
  • Morghasts - probably gone, that's an obr unit now
  • Vargheists - probably staying, probably with the same models.
  • 'legion black coach' - almost assuredly gone
  • Other entirely new units - possibly?  Again though, that's already a pretty expansive list, without even touching the possibility of FEC units getting rolled back in.

big single models

• corpse cart - probably staying, probably with the same model, nothing confirmed
  • mortis engine - probably staying, probably with the same model, nothing confirmed
  • Unridden Zombie Dragon - nothing confirmed, might go as it's a FEC unit
  • Terrorgheist - nothing confirmed, might go as it's a FEC unit
  • Vargskyr - definitely getting rules, not confirmed for book or separate release but imo very likely.
  • Other big individual centerpiece stuff - probably?  GW does like their big expensive centerpiece models.  Though between mortarchs, dragons, engines, thrones, palanquins, and maybe terrorgheists we're not exactly lacking here, and not every battletome update has seen a big new centerpiece, especially if you don't count faction terrain.

Is that everything?  Did I leave anything out?  Do my assessments of the possiblities / relativel likeliness of different things seem on point?

• Thanks 4

45 minutes ago, Sception said:

I doubt the guard will need rebasing if you want to use them as skeleton warriors.  IIRC the new ones have been confirmed to be on the same bases, though I can't find the facebook post about it anymore.

I'm fairly confident that everything which isn't in another codex and does currently have a plastic model will remain in ~some form~, though it may be getting a new model and it might be merged with another unit.  The long list:

Hide contents

Leaders

• Vhordrai - an open question, since he doesn't have a bespoke model.  Could get demoted to 'generic vampire lord on zombie dragon but with a name in the background lore'.  Or he could be promoted to bespoke model with a partial re-sprue of the existing zombie dragon.  Or could be left as is, a special character with no distinct model to speak of.
  • Radukar - he'll definitely get rules.  Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Torgillius - he'll definitely get rules.  Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Gorslav - he'll definitely get rules.   Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Halgrim - he'll definitely get rules.  Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Annika - She'll definitely get rules.  Whether they make it into the battletome is anyone's guess.
  • Vampire Lord on Steed - very likely, but still crossing fingers for signs of a new model though
  • Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon - Basically confirmed, I expect with the same model
  • Other new heroes we haven't seen yet: I don't know.  Probably?  At the same time, though, this is already a very long list.  One could even call it 'excessive' or 'bloated', especially if all the warhammer quest heroes make it in and Nagash/Arkhan aren't removed.  And that's not even touching on the rumors that FEC might get rolled back into the gravelords.

Misc

• Sepulchral guard - Probably included, but not clear yet whether they'll have bespoke rules or just count as Deathrattle Skeletons'
  • Crimson Court - Probably included, but not clear yet whether they'll have bespoke rules or just count as Vampire Lords
  • Faction Terrain - Probably?  Then again, the mausoleum kit already exists and fits this faction's concept and aesthetic, so it's plausible that kit might get re-packaged as soulblight faction terrain.
  • Faction Endless Spells - Probably?  Then again, the FEC spells - a stampede of dead horses, a cemetary wall, and a floating chalice of blood - already exist and fit this faction's concept and aesthetic.  There are rumors of FEC possibly getting rolled back into the Gravelords, and if that happens we may just end up sharing their spells.  Otherwise, yeah, we'll probably get new endless spells of our own.

Units

• Skeleton Warriors - confirmed with new models and name change to 'Deathrattle Skeletons'
  • Grave Guard - not clear yet whether they carry on as their own unit, with or without new models, or get demoted to 'Deathrattle Skeletons'
  • rat swarms - will definitely get rules, almost certainly in the book since kritza's basically confirmed
  • ulfenwatch - basically just deathrattle skeletons, but might get bespoke rules if halgrim is treated as a unique unit champ
  • vykos bloodborn - will definitely get rules, no confirmation that they'll be in book or get a separate model release, but imo very likely
  • cursed city zombie ogres - I forget their names.  Will definitely get rules, no confirmation that they'll be in the book or get a separate model release.  imo somewhat likely, but I'm not as confident of them as I am with the vykos.
  • Other entirely new units - possibly?  Again though, that's already a pretty expansive list, without even touching the possibility of FEC units getting rolled back in.

big single models

• corpse cart - probably staying, probably with the same model, nothing confirmed
  • mortis engine - probably staying, probably with the same model, nothing confirmed
  • Vargskyr - definitely getting rules, not confirmed for book or separate release but imo very likely.
  • Other big individual centerpiece stuff - probably?  GW does like their big expensive centerpiece models.  Though between mortarchs, dragons, engines, thrones, palanquins, and maybe terrorgheists we're not exactly lacking here, and not every battletome update has seen a big new centerpiece, especially if you don't count faction terrain.

Is that everything?  Did I leave anything out?  Do my assessments of the possiblities / relativel likeliness of different things seem on point?

Personally I think Nagash can hop in the same way he can hop into OBR. He doesn't have the OBR keyword, but can get it as part of the allegiance at the cost of allies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sception said:

Do my assessments of the possiblities / relativel likeliness of different things seem on point?

15 minutes ago, PraetorDragoon said:

I think Nagash can hop

The way I read the fluff, Nagash is gone (again) sleeping in his black pyramid or whatever and Arkhan kinda fell off the world (like that dude in soul wars)

so both might be a goner for SBGL (but still available in obr)...

if Nagash gets the same rules as in obr (knows all spells heals all units) I’d be a happy vassal

1 hour ago, Honk said:

The way I read the fluff, Nagash is gone (again) sleeping in his black pyramid or whatever and Arkhan kinda fell off the world (like that dude in soul wars)

so both might be a goner for SBGL (but still available in obr)...

if Nagash gets the same rules as in obr (knows all spells heals all units) I’d be a happy vassal

Fair point about fluff. Maybe his model will be repurposed as a non-unique Avatar of Nagash? (In the vein of Eidolons of Mathlann)

Edited by PraetorDragoon

On 3/30/2021 at 6:38 PM, Honk said:

My FleshEater zoom across the Board.

but my legion of the Night experiment was quite successful, summoned half my army from gravesites... I was inexperienced and not on point, but calling 40 skellis and 60 zombers right on objectives was funny.

the seraphon mob killer spell dealing 20 mortals wasn’t 🥴

Sometimes I wonder how many people really appreciated that ability.  As AoS 2.0 progressed it certainly became more calculated.

My favorite was battle scenarios with mid table objects and placing a VLoZD center field.  Then swinging left or right for the 40 skeleton drop.  As more alpha armies were released or crazy redeploys deciding on wether to try this ploy became interesting.  When it work it was nice having the unit pushed out enough that charging enemy units couldn’t even contest for the objective.

Never tried the backfield Legion of the Night flank.  Then again the local club is filled with people that aren’t prone to letting me get away with that kind of trickery.

Edited by Evil Bob
“Contest” not “contend”
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

letting me get away with that kind of trickery.

I‘m a bit sad, that I haven’t tried this earlier, when 40 skellis were still tough. 
Also my positioning was not very good, I overextended and kept my back up force too far away... and his seraphon kroak teleport madness was tricky to deal with. His stegadon appeared in my backfield and trampled my Coven throne...

hopefully the new dynasties give us something to play with, night/blood/sacrament were very different and could be used for sneaky tactics (if one could remember or pull it off 😅)... 

5 minutes ago, Honk said:
9 hours ago, Evil Bob said:

letting me get away with that kind of trickery.

I‘m a bit sad, that I haven’t tried this earlier, when 40 skellis were still tough. 

Imo they still are. Probably not in a strictly competetive environment, yet they hold their own pretty well VS irks and the likes :)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sception said:

Reveal hidden contents

Leaders

Misc

Units

big single models

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Mortis Engine will be moved into nighthaunt since it's very likely they're getting a new battletome alongside their new hero

• Like 1