Soulblight Gravelords News, Rumours and Speculation

Neil Arthur Hotep

2 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

No ones respecting the humble Vargheists?

I like them, I've got 12 Flayers from FEC that I build as Vargheists as I prefer the hair and pointed ear heads.

12 might be too much but a unit of 6 could do work.

Just about fitting them in.

After initially being annoyed that all the stuff that used to be good, is now bad and vice versa (and a few warscrolls that are just plain not worth taking), there's one thing I really appreciate: 

This seems to be the first book with subfactions that doesn't try to lock you in for your command trait and artifact. This book is a design win compared to others for that reason. 

• Like 4

Hm, looking through the Realms of Battle Items for Avengorii lords (because Avengorii artifacts are garbage), and the Chamonic Plate of Perfect Protection could be fun on a Vengorian Lord. 

Plate of Perfect Protection - If an attack that targets the wearer has a rend of -1, change the rend of the attack characteristic to "-".  Stack this with the Vengorian's Nightmare Miasma, your negating a lot of rend -2 attacks, keeping a healthy +3 save.  Depends on your opponents amount of rend, but seriously, the Avengorii items are so bad, so I am just looking for more useful items, lol.  Aqshy's Incandescent Rageblade is another standout (one profile's attacks explode on 6's). 

7 hours ago, GutrotSpume said:

Lots of janky stuff you need to make sure goes off and loads of little bubbles your units need to be wholly within which for me personally sounds like too much like hard work to enjoy on the table.

This is the best sentence to describe this tome even if we ignore the power level that allways can change with points changes.

This was the reason that i got bored playing city of sigmar after some games and i enjoy playing fyreslayers.

Need keep 99999999 wholy within 12 auras is a chore and the game isnt fun even if you win or loose

• Thanks 2

Can anyone help me decide what would be better in a Kasteli list:

Coven Throne 

Mannfred

Coven thrones CA is super solid, but only affects 1 unit.

Mannfred is an aura, granted it doesn’t give +1 save.

If you’re running 1 big block of BK, I see Coven being good, but in any other situation I see Mannfred being better, maybe even in both situations. I don’t see the Coven being particularily good outside the CA, whereas Manny still is. 

Does kasteli coven change anything? It’s still pretty weak, imo, no? Happy to be proven otherwise as the model is rad. 

21 minutes ago, Elmir said:

This seems to be the first book with subfactions that doesn't try to lock you in for your command trait and artifact. This book is a design win compared to others for that reason. 

Slaanesh and Slaves to Darkness do this too - I think it's just a different design that sometimes crops up :)

4 hours ago, FeralMulan said:

Problem is a lot of people are saying "DW, maybe that's the new standard in AoS 3!"

Maybe - but until EVERYONE gets a new Battletome to bring them up to line, Tzeentch, Seraphon and Lumineth will have even MORE overwhelming magic in that case.

I mean Christ. Look at Vile Transference. Look at how they massacred my boy. So sad.

When AoS3 drops we're going to get a new set of pitched battle profiles.  It's also likely we'll get a round of FAQs & errata because not everything will slot into the new ruleset as cleanly as we're likely to, so it's probably a bit early to worry about how some armies may be even more powerful in magic as anything could happen 😉

Kastelai

Vhordrai 455 pts

Coven Throne 310 pts *artifact: grave-sand shard *command trait: rousing commander

Radukar the Beast 315 pts

10x Blood Knights 390 pts

5x Blood Knights 195 pts

20x Skeletons 170 pts

10 Skeletons 85 pts

1 Command Point

Total 1970 *Triumph bid

Really looking forward to trying out some different builds between these guys and Vyrkos. Of course you can play around with artifacts and battalions and battleline etc. 

6 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

When AoS3 drops we're going to get a new set of pitched battle profiles.

I definitely expect max unit sizes to go down across the board and horde discounts to disappear.

If most other factions are running around with 20 models max, suddenly our 30 skeletons don't looks so bad.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FeralMulan said:

They're pretty good in Kastellai IMO. Getting any of the buffs on them will be pretty efficient.

I just wish they had any synergy at all with LoNight.  If only they had 3d6 charge instead of deep strike....  Oh, well.  Kind of annoyed/confused that they don't have the hunger, too.

Still, not a bad unit by any stretch.  Very fragile, though.  I'm inclined to say the 40 points more for blood knights is always worth the upgrade if you the points available.  At least, it is so long riders of ruin works how we want it to / like how warcom thinks it does.

1 minute ago, SchleuderMann2 said:

Guys, I haven't read every Page of this thread so pls forgive me if it is written already, but Is there already any information about nagash? Would really like to know if he got improved since his point costs are even higher now

Same exact warscroll, nothing changed except his points. So GW is either trying to price Nagash out of competitive play or there is some sort of change in 3.0 that will justify his cost. Possibly to Arcane Bolt and Mystic Shield among other things.

• Sad 1

Right now I'm working on a vyrkos list and need some feedback, I like how it looks but it feels like it's missing something,  would appreciate any CC

Vyrkos

Vlozd - Hunter's snare, pinions (Artifact unknown) 

Radukar the beast

Necromancer - overwhelming dread 

Necromancer - Fading Vigour

Corpse Cart with Unholy Lodestone 

Corpse Cart with Baleful Brazier 

10x Dire Wolves 

10x Dire Wolves 

40x Zombies 

40x Zombies 

Deathstench Drove 

1990/2000

16 minutes ago, SchleuderMann2 said:

Guys, I haven't read every Page of this thread so pls forgive me if it is written already, but Is there already any information about nagash? Would really like to know if he got improved since his point costs are even higher now

Copy-Paste of OBR's war scroll, except that he loses the Priest Keyword.

In sblight glords armies he gains the sblight glords keywords, prevents you from taking mercenaries, and has full access to their spell lores, like in OBR.  In theory 2 full lores is better than one, but in practice it's not actually.  The glords do have cheaper chaff to screen and camp objectives for him though.  Hard to say whether he's better here or in OBR.  It's worth noting that a unit cannot benefit from his invocation and another hero's invocation in the same turn, unlike in OBR where nagash, arkhan, katakros, and a couple of boneshapers can all heal the same unit in the same turn if the opportunity arrises.

The points increase could be an overreaction to nagash/grimghast lists from three years ago, which you'd think is unlikely, surely the writer realizes that 3 years have passed and LoN lists, with or without Nagash, are hardly the terror they were back then.  But a lot of the changes in this army book do seem like leftover overreactions to Nagash/grimghast lists from 3 years ago, so Imo this is plausible.

Alternatively, it's a pre-emptive increase based on the rumored return of old school eldritch blast and mystic shield in 3rd edition.  If that turns out to be true, then the increase might even be justified.  Nagash is pretty nasty with a 2+ armor save re-rolling ones and the ability to easily spit out 4d6 or so targeted mortals at range,  while still having a few casts leftover for the best available lore spells or to spellportal out a hand of dust.  I wouldn't say he's worth 1000 points with all that, but then again I wouldn't say he's not worth 1000 points with all that, either.

Edited by Sception
  • Haha 1

Well that's not exactly what I would have hoped for him but thank you for the information. I would really like to see some special abilities for him, I mean he is THE GOD of undeath he should be more interesting than being able to cast the basic spell several times

he has lots of special abilities, and full lore access in the factions that can take him, and an amazing CA.  IMO Nagash's rules are fine.  Points are debatable, and the kinda bad vamp lore isn't doing him any favors,  but yeah, the warscroll is good.

• Like 1

The more I look and think about grandma wolf, the more I love her lol. I think she's now my favourite 200ish point hero in the game.

Her wolf spawning spell is seriously cool and thematic, and has the potential to tie up/stick enemy units for a round (particularly 1 wounders), spawning a wolf or two into combat with them. On the flip side, depending which model your opponent decides to kill, you could even spawn a dire wolf outside of combat (2.9 inches from the model that will die if he's on the corner of the unit or whatever) then threatened to run back and cap objectives as a nuisance or position to block other units. I love it.

Her other spell is great too. Couple her with an 80 point cart and potentially a mortis and she's at +3 to cast, rerolling all casts. I'll bring the cogs with her for 3x casts and rerollable 4+ save, 3+ shrug onto wolves....I just can't stop thinking about her hahaha

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aren73 said:

The issue with the Coven Throne being the powerhouse you just mentioned is that it makes it extremely desirable. It will feature heavily in tournament lists. Which will just encourage GW to nerf it

Beside the great CA the Coven Throne offers not very much in terms of damage or support. It doesn't scale well with the Kastelani skill as most attacks of the profiles are mount or mount aequivalent. The survivalability is also limited, althrough not bad. Manfred provides and Aura with a similar buff, at least in offensive terms, while also hitting harder and beeing a more powerfull caster. Also, concidering the price point, I think we will see far less Coven Throne in 1-2 months than people are talking about the unit right now.

She is great,the extra wolf is toptier as defensive tool.

We can use the extra wolf sumoning it at the back or at edges of a unit and then we charge with something to that unit center and enemy gonna have to pike in toward the wolf with some models and wont can pile in toward our main unit engaged .

To me she is autoinclude in every list as graveguard+necromancer combo that is veeeeeeeery top(even more damage than the fyreslayer combo)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Charleston said:

Beside the great CA the Coven Throne offers not very much in terms of damage or support. It doesn't scale well with the Kastelani skill as most attacks of the profiles are mount or mount aequivalent. The survivalability is also limited, althrough not bad. Manfred provides and Aura with a similar buff, at least in offensive terms, while also hitting harder and beeing a more powerfull caster. Also, concidering the price point, I think we will see far less Coven Throne in 1-2 months than people are talking about the unit right now.

I hope so, I don't want it to be in every list. It's good and a nice force multiplier and that's how it should stay. 

Also, a bit ago I put up a pic listing all the 3+/3+/-1 profiles in the book but it seems to be removed. Is that because of a rule of not screenshotting book contents or because it seemed negative? To be clear, I only put that up as a reference (and because I found it funny that a Wight king has the same profile as a vampire lord) and not to complain. 

12 minutes ago, Charleston said:

God I really want the Coven Throne to be good. I genuinely think the spell can be good if it goes off as you can shut down an important enemy unit with her. Imagine stopping a greater demon or a blob of Boars from doing ANYTHING for a turn. Then again, melee Deathstars aren't exactly the flavour of the month, so who knows if this will matter. 

But maybe the CA will be enough. Having all 3 buffs in one package is worthwhile on its own I feel.