Broken Realms: Teclis - SPOILER Discussion + Lore Summary

At this point why would anyone be scared of Nagash? The guy is a total loser who gets his ass handed to him every time he turns up and the one time he did achieve anything meaningful with the Necroquake the Skaven still messed it up basically by accident.

It does feel weird that after this long period of Death being in ascendancy they have practically nothing to show for it.

Also, from the Sprews and Brews summary it sounds like Arkhan is just gone for good?

• Like 4

Teclis winning wasn’t exactly surprising imo - his name was on the front of the book, there was no way he wasn’t gonna come out on top. I don’t think Arkhan’s really dead  cause GW doesn’t just go around permakilling named characters like that, and as for the Nine Books... yeah that’s a bit of an oof. But Naggy getting beat opens up some pretty interesting opportunities for Death - maybe this is where the Gravelords come in?

3 minutes ago, JustAsPlanned said:

Teclis winning wasn’t exactly surprising imo - his name was on the front of the book, there was no way he wasn’t gonna come out on top. I don’t think Arkhan’s really dead  cause GW doesn’t just go around permakilling named characters like that, and as for the Nine Books... yeah that’s a bit of an oof. But Naggy getting beat opens up some pretty interesting opportunities for Death - maybe this is where the Gravelords come in?

Nothing dead really dies does it? I think it just knocks Nagash down a peg or two for a while and leaves his mortarchs free to rampage and scheme. It just means for the next while Death isn't unified, but none of the Grand Alliances are now. 

Also re-reading it Kragnos could be seen as a weapon unleashed by Alarielle - interesting that her agents are directing the wrath of life thats to be unleashed. 

8 minutes ago, Svalack said:

Uncontrollable life makes me think of rampant trees / spirits not elves and centaurs though, and i dont see see either of them buddying up with orks. I do remember reading that the savage half of orion was imprisoned by her near greywater fastness i believe? Maybe that could be a thing.

Kragnos being 'Orion' has been thrown around quite a bit too to give us Kurnothi who are distinct from Sylvaneth.  

I still reckon Kurnothi will be an order-aligned faction, but the same way IDK and DoK are.

9 minutes ago, Sorrow said:

Not a Death player, but this is just ridiculous, Nagash always loses.  In WHFB and AOS, always.

Nagash has become a Saturday morning cartoon villain whose existence is purely to give the good guys something to beat up again in the same edition where he became a genuine threat. 

Everchosen and Soul Wars gave Nagash an actual level of threat just for it to be written off immediately.

It's clear it's to set up the SBGL power struggle, but we know from the same book that Neffy and Manny are still trying to get rid of eachother regardless.

I hope GW redeems themselves - because rn, the Lumineth rule and lore wise feel like such a favourite child it's uncompelling.

7 minutes ago, xking said:

With Nagash and Arkhan out of the way.  Neferata and Mannfred can do what they want. 

Hopefully they can do something a little more impactful than bicker with each like a bunch of spoiled, snot-nosed 5 year olds that seems to define so many interactions between vampires in fantasy.

That was an interesting read, at least the story is more impactful than what was hinted in the white dwarf. I’m interested to see what’s happening with Tyrion and also what alarielle is up to. It seemed like Teclis is wounded from the nagash stab. I’m interested to see the implications of Arkhan being destroyed. I think nagash obviously still lives and just needs to recover, but arkhan might be dead for good.

Very excited. 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

Honestly DEEPLY disappointed this is the way they went. GW knows how to write a narrative that isn't 'the bad guys fail at everything everytime'.  

Like not a single success. Not a single battle won. Nothing.

And that ending? 

Nah. Not for me. 

It feels like Death, after finally getting something worthwhile narratively, got shafted so hard to show 'big hat Aelf strong' to the extent that literally everything that could go right for them just goes right for the sake of 'theyre GW's favourites now'

The good guys lost the previous book and Nagash had a whole narrative centered around him and his faction. This just knocks him down a peg and opens up DEATH a bit more since He and Arkhan are out of the picture for a while (nothing permanent, its DEATH afterall). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

19 minutes ago, Dreddships said:

Kragnos being 'Orion' has been thrown around quite a bit too to give us Kurnothi who are distinct from Sylvaneth.  

I still reckon Kurnothi will be an order-aligned faction, but the same way IDK and DoK are.

Yeah I think this sets up the Kurnothi as a wild beast faction -distinct from Sylvaneth and not under Alarielle's direct control. I also think Alarielle will be getting reinforcements. The backlash of life could be Destruction as well as its nature-as-destruction, Alarielle being growth Gorkamorka the opposite..

• Like 1

Does seem the theories that Soulblight would be filling a post-Teclis power vacuum might come true then.

There was always the implication that AoS Arkhan wasn't so much WHFB Arkhan but more a creation Nagash poured his memories into remaking - something even he muses on. Presumably that's what's going to happen again here.

I'm glad the Cities got a good showing as more than Redshirts and were integral to the final battle though.

• Like 2

Nagash stabbed Teclis... the sword itself is bigger than Teclis, so how exactly was Teclis not torn asunder? 🤣

It must have been more like „Nagash poked Mery-Tecli-Sue“.

that Nagash would be destroyed again was certain from the start. Concerning Nagash GW is about as creative as a bucket of apples.

However, That Teclis can simply undo the necroquake with a single rune is really lazy writing. It took Nagash ages and a metric megaton of realmstone along a complicated ritual and the magic of Shyish itself to set it into motion. Then Teclis practices some calligraphy in the void and the issue is solved. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I like that the story is impactful but the whole „death loses, Tecli-boys don‘t even suffer a real casualty and they save the universe“ was really not convincing and lazily written.

However, let‘s hope Be‘lakor gives Tecli-Sue a spanking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

Jack you are just overreacting and being a hater. I mean you overreacted when stormcast got the stormkeep rules,  complaining that they were overpowered. Even when stormcast players were telling you that the rules did very little for the army.   And now you are overreacting again. 

Edited by xking
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

I think Nagash suffers from the same problem as Abaddon, where we're always just told about how much damage he's inflicting and how his campaigns and legions are wrecking all this destruction (lower case) and death, but because fiction only ever gives us very broadstrokes it doesn't feel that way. You can tell us how badly the Imperium is doing, but if almost every story is about these new elite-elite-elite Marines kicking ****** and taking names, tonally it doesn't come off that way.

In the case of the Ossiarchs it doesn't help we've known them for all of about thirty seconds and their only major fiction so far has been getting beaten by Archaon. It feels less like the Lumineth are the cavalry coming in to finally give Order some breathing room and more like Nagash is the nerdy kid getting shoved into a locker again after he finally stood up for himself (badly).

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

So what roll if any does Malerion play in the narrative, is it just a few passing refrences or do we learn anything new?

Not sure, but it mentions Tyrion being preoccupied with something more powerful than Nagash. Could be Malerion?

• LOVE IT! 2

My prediction in regards to death.

THIS WILL ALL BE ABOUT KATAKROS. GW will push him as the new focal point of death.

He will succeed in destroying/defeating Archaon and take the eight points allowing him to attack all realms. The Eightpoints will be renamed something Bonereapery and become the new capital of death. Now i think about it Broken Realms Katakros could be a thing with a wave of new OBR units, would be roughly 2 years after the initial release. Nagash although without all his power may do something to help this and bring about his return, maybe since Katakros is Nagash's top general and right hand man. 

Just think how strange it was that the one off Wrath of the Everchosen book set all this up pre-broken realms

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am EXTREMELY happy with the possible lore ramifications.  

Nagash has cast a long and dark shadow over the forces of Death for far too long.  I want to see individual factions again (like how Tomb Kings were in the Old World) and most especially I want to see various Vampire factions dueling it out in acts of espionage, like the summary described.

This has increased my excitement for Soulblight Gravelords even more. 

• Like 7

Not exactly happy with the outcome because what seperates order from death now narrative wise? Nothing. Seems there is going to be no downside to becoming a blood-sucking abomination.

I don't think neither Nagash or Arkhan are truly dead, but my issue narrative wise is that they tell us how dangerous and terrible nagash is but he just gets whacked to make certain characters look better. Oh well, whatever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Public Universal Duardin said:

Wait they killed off Arkhan??? Has this happened before - I know that in WHFB characters like Marius Leitdorf were really popular "dead and buried" characters long after their deaths but this is a first for AoS innit?

He'll be back. It's implied that AoS Arkhan was more a creation of Nagash's memories than literally the same person from the Old World (something Arkhan himself muses on). 

My guess is Neferata and Mannfred will go to war with one another directly and as Shyish is being torn apart, he'll pop up in the middle of their inevitable duel and tell them to get back in line (and the Nagash will probably appear above them).

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4