New White Dwarf reviews and reactions

Carnelian

I thought it might be handy to have a topic for discussing the new White Dwarf.

I'm loving it so far - witty, packed full of information, great tone, great content. Couldn't be happier so far - and I'm only on page 7.

More jokes in the first page "Meet the team" than I'd have expected in a whole weekly issue! (And I Am a fan of the white dwarf weeklys)

I would have liked a bit more AoS stuff, but I can't complain! And the 40k content was interesting even if its not something i'm into.

Presentation wise I was suuuuuper impressed. SO much great visual content and little surprises. The blanchitsu section was great

Only had a skim read so far but looks really good. I like a lot of the features in it and it seems a nice mixture between old school Dwarf and new school. I think I would have liked the battle report to be similar to the ones they used to do (20 years+ that the magazine nicely reminded me!) but I know that is a topic with a lot of opinions about.

I can see the argument about wanting more AOS content but they will always have this as they need to support the new releases and there will be more focus on that. But it was really cool to have new rules for the boxed games they have released recently and the free miniature was really nice!

The only thing I can criticise so far is that I actually prefer the old style layout regarding the new releases. There is much more content in this white dwarf but what actually means is that new releases have much less space and are two to a page. Subsequently their pictures are half the size and there is only a few close ups of the models. I really liked the full page pictures with multiple close ups. These models are the whole point of warhammer after all!

5 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

The only thing I can criticise so far is that I actually prefer the old style layout regarding the new releases. There is much more content in this white dwarf but what actually means is that new releases have much less space and are two to a page. Subsequently their pictures are half the size and there is only a few close ups of the models. I really liked the full page pictures with multiple close ups. These models are the whole point of warhammer after all!

I know what you mean but I think with pictures on the web they may be trying to fit more content in rather than the latest shiney new thing. Problem is you will never please everybody. 

I really enjoyed it, lovely design and look to it.  Glad to see FACES back in it so it feels less like a souless organ for the company.

Hopefully we can get some more opinion pieces ala Stillmania, Chamber of the Horned Rat etc. but so far all positive.

(I can't believe that issue was 20 years ago. I still consider Seraphon the "new guys")

I really like it. Strangely based on one comment in here, some 40k players were saying there's not enough 40k and too much AoS! I like the layout and general feel of it, the production is great, there's more content than before. Glad I subscribed. Free £18 model is always good too!

Pleasantly surprised so far. Have only read the first 15 pages or so (Just got up to the Tale of 4 Warlords section). I remember when I used to buy them regularly (Back when they were monthly before), sometimes I would be able to get through the entire White Dwarf on the bus ride as I just didn't care or skimmed through some of the sections.

So definitely pleased that so far this has gone through at least one bus trip! Will definitely give a further update after I've finished the White Dwarf.

Found out there was a cut off for subscribers to get the first issue. This was not communicated to store boys, stockists and managers well. I subscribed on the weekend just gone and wont get issue one.

That's the way the cookie crumbles. If I was you and I hadn't received my magazine by now- as my other mates have, I'd be giving Customer Service in your country a call.

Mine turned up here in Japan this morning. It is bigger and heavier than I imagined. Pretty happy with it. 

It is still a magazine that promotes gw products but there is plenty of content, lovely photos with interesting and unusual paint schemes (never seen a nurgle army like that before), and some fun articles. My only complaints  so far are that paint splatter is still too simple and there are no hints about the future.

4 hours ago, Chikout said:

My only complaints  so far are that paint splatter is still too simple and there are no hints about the future

Sadly I don't think this will change any time soon.  When quizzed at one point why the old 'Eavy Metal Masterclasses were retired it was stated that the amount of time it too one of the 'Eavy Metal team to create a guide was huge and ultimately wasn't a good use of their time.

14 minutes ago, Sleboda said:

Plus, articles have never been good at teaching painting, not really (and this is coming from the guy who wrote a series of them for WD back in the day).

Video is much better.

Articles need to stay to pretty much just color lists+. Unfortunately.

I agree Video is better, but I've been able to pick up some good tips via articles.

That said, with the advent of Warhammer TV and the painting tutorial videos GW has been putting out for some time now, I'm not sure it's a good use of space in WD either.  The videos are so much more useful.  Though I wouldn't mind occasional short articles about the intersection of artistic theories and techniques and where they intersect with Models.  I.e., how color theory and painting mini's comes together.  Of course, it's likely even this would be better handled in video.

9 hours ago, Tanka said:

Found out there was a cut off for subscribers to get the first issue. This was not communicated to store boys, stockists and managers well. I subscribed on the weekend just gone and wont get issue one.

That's the way the cookie crumbles. If I was you and I hadn't received my magazine by now- as my other mates have, I'd be giving Customer Service in your country a call.

Did they say when the cut off was? I subscribed on the 11th August, but nothing yet. Would've thought that would have been in plenty of time,  and post around here is notoriously slow so hoping it'll arrive this morning. I have e-mailed customer service to check, but figured I might get a response quicker on here (not a slight on GW's customer service, just that my painting usually gets done around midnight :P )

1 hour ago, MechaBriZilla said:

I agree Video is better, but I've been able to pick up some good tips via articles.

That said, with the advent of Warhammer TV and the painting tutorial videos GW has been putting out for some time now, I'm not sure it's a good use of space in WD either.  The videos are so much more useful.  Though I wouldn't mind occasional short articles about the intersection of artistic theories and techniques and where they intersect with Models.  I.e., how color theory and painting mini's comes together.  Of course, it's likely even this would be better handled in video.

The best articles I've found were the ones that focused on a specific subject rather than a whole model (which I agree Warhammer TV is a much better medium).  For me the best articles that were created were the two "painting faces" ones and I still go back to it if I'm painting the face of a character

2 hours ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Though I wouldn't mind occasional short articles about the intersection of artistic theories and techniques and where they intersect with Models.  I.e., how color theory and painting mini's comes together.

Interestingly enough, that's exactly what I thought too, which is why I did the one in color theory/the color wheel.

Update on sub: If you are in my sitch, you have to wait until after mail delivery on Saturday.  I called Customer Service and they said I have to wait.

8 hours ago, tjgreenway said:

Did they say when the cut off was? I subscribed on the 11th August, but nothing yet. Would've thought that would have been in plenty of time,  and post around here is notoriously slow so hoping it'll arrive this morning. I have e-mailed customer service to check, but figured I might get a response quicker on here (not a slight on GW's customer service, just that my painting usually gets done around midnight :P )

Nah mate, they didnt mention when cut off was... mind you I only ordered mine on the 27th of August so I would have thought you were safe too.

I do live in regional Australia, 350kms form the nearest capital city so post will be slow for me too. I imagine I would be getting my WD (issue 2) on a Wednesday at best (which is still 2 days before commercial release)

14 hours ago, Tanka said:

Nah mate, they didnt mention when cut off was... mind you I only ordered mine on the 27th of August so I would have thought you were safe too.

I do live in regional Australia, 350kms form the nearest capital city so post will be slow for me too. I imagine I would be getting my WD (issue 2) on a Wednesday at best (which is still 2 days before commercial release)

Confirmed that I was within cutoff, so that's good to know :) Excellent customer service from GW, they've offered to ship a new one out on Monday if it wasn't here today, which it isn't unfortunatey, but it's more than likely the post office's fault so will hold off a couple of extra days and see what happens :) 

Archived