Choosing Shooting Modes

Aietos

Question

Hi, Warhammer friends. This question came up recently with my unit of Namarti Reavers. Fluid Firing Style” says, “Before attacking with a Whisperbow, choose either the Aimed Fire or Storm Fire missile weapon characteristics for that shooting attack.”

I assumed this was done individually and had been splitting the unit so that the models in range for Storm Fire chose that and the models farther away did Aimed Fire. The players at my LGS said I couldn’t do this because when choosing a shooting mode for a unit I could only choose one mode for the whole unit. I accepted that at the time, but now am wondering, because I can’t find that anywhere in the core rules.  Could someone let me know if that’s correct, and if so what the rules reference is?

Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

Thinking about this more, is there any difference between this scenario and a unit having two (or more) missile weapon profiles?

An example would be a unit of KO thunderers, aethershot rifles have a different range to some of the special weapons in the unit. There is no restriction on choosing different targets for the different weapon profiles to best suit ranges. 
Namarti reavers effectively have 2 missile weapon profiles in the unit.

I guess that’s what I’m asking. The players I was talking to said that there’s a rule that if a unit has a choice of more than one weapon profile, everyone in the unit has to choose the same one when firing.   That’s the rule I can’t find, and am thinking might not exist. 

Hm. One more thought:

Auralan Sentinels say:  “Before attacking with Auralan Bows, choose either the Aimed or Lofted missile weapon characteristics for all shooting attacks made by this unit in that phase.”

Namarti Reavers say:  “Before attacking with a Whisperbow, choose either the Aimed Fire or Storm Fire missile weapon characteristics for that shooting attack.”

In the (possible) absence of a universal rule on shooting modes, it seems like these two abilities are worded to work differently?

6 hours ago, Aietos said:

Hm. One more thought:

Auralan Sentinels say:  “Before attacking with Auralan Bows, choose either the Aimed or Lofted missile weapon characteristics for all shooting attacks made by this unit in that phase.”

Namarti Reavers say:  “Before attacking with a Whisperbow, choose either the Aimed Fire or Storm Fire missile weapon characteristics for that shooting attack.”

In the (possible) absence of a universal rule on shooting modes, it seems like these two abilities are worded to work differently?

I’m not aware of any such universal rule. Maybe they are thinking of rules for Sentinels, which is clearly stated, and applying to all?

As an older tome perhaps the reavers warscroll will be rewritten to match the newer wording when the book gets an update, but until then RAW you’re correct.

Unless I’ve missed something?

• Like 1