Progress on project: Competitive Fyreslayers!

Papapene

Hey all! So I put up a post a little while ago about if and/or how Fyreslayers can be competitive. Well i purchased a small fortune worth of minis and put together a 2000 point army.

Yesterday I had my first game and it was a rip roaring success! I'll put this little caveat at the start, this was a game against a random person playing on a Monday during work hours (a young teen, about 16) and this person wasn't privy to my plan or my army. He had 2000 points of Ironjawz which might be the best case scenario so, a good place to start.

I deployed first as the bulk of my army was underground and in a single formation. I used my Runefather ability "holy seeker" which gave his angry cabbage a 2+ save. I gave my opponent the first turn. As he was Ironjawz he did what they do best, he charged forward with rampaging destroyers strait at what little units I had on the board. which was a Magmadroth, a Hurricanum and a few heroes. I moved my Magmadroth right up into his face then tunnelled in the squad of 25 Hearthguard Berzerkers. My plan was to try make the charge and failing that use "Lords of the Lodge" ability to ensure first charge by taking the initiative roll. But I made the 9" charge and got just under 20 guys into his brute and cabbage Death Star!

I'm don't remember all the details but I piled and and attacked twice, fully buffed, double attacks for 10 of the Hearthguard Berzerker attacking the cabbage with "holy seeker", and one regular attack each for all but 4 or 5?? With some above average rolling (this is the bit I do remember) I pulled off 22 mortal wounds on the first attack and 17 on the second pile in and attack. One unit of 25 guys! That left his brutes severely weakened and his cabbage was dead as a door nail. I lost 4 guys in the combat as I get an armour save, then a reroll, then the ward save. That's probably still too many to loose as it really is the biggest part of my army. I stole the initiative with "hot blooded fury" and finished off his death star in the second with the HBz and the Hurricanum and Magmadroth. At this point we called it as he didn't have much left and it's not much fun when all you're doing is taking your toys off the table.

I realise this could be nauseating for some of you as it just looks like I'm showing off about how good is am... but as I said in the first post i have an Ironjawz army for fun and this is an army I want to try and compete with in a few small tournaments. A lot of people didn't think it could be done so I wanted to give an update. Still a lot of work to go as I forgot about a few of my heroes abilities (too excited about attacking with the Berzerkers).

All in all a win for the Fyreslayers!

Like I said this was kinda the best case scenario for me so I'm looking forward to playing my friends extremis army this weekend. If anyone's interested I'll let you know how I go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One unit of 25 guys! 

You mean 500 points worth! 

I deployed first as the bulk of my army was underground and in a single formation. 

Interesting to see. How did you tunnel all of your men? I don't think a single Runesmiter can take a whole formation with him.

I used my Runefather ability "holy seeker" which gave his angry cabbage a 2+ save.

Holy Seeker gives the enemy reroll wound rolls of 1 (unless the Warscroll has been updated). It's on the Runemaster.

I meant 25 guys.

I meant that I deployed quickly because I could put the whole formation down in one hit. You're right, I guess tunnelling them only saved the deployment of the Runesmiter.

I stuffed that roll up I gave his cabbage +1 to save rolls. As I said, it's a lot of buffs to remember I'm sure I made other mistakes, I've only been playing AoS since before the GHB dropped.

Haha you really don't want to believe the Fyreslayers are a good army huh??

Great to see Fyreslayers winning. :) I dont think Nico think fyreslayers a ****** (more like a mid or maybe lower tier army that is difficult to play).

I think he more reacted to that this was a perfect almost theory hammer set up you managed. Or atleast I did.

You had 1/4 of your army in one unit. You managed to place that unit in position to charge exactly the units you wanted without interference. And before that your opponent first give the cabbage the ur-gold then moved him up to your Runemaster giving you extra attacks and also staying close to a Hurricanum to give you plus one to hit. Then you managed the 9" charge etc..

But I agree 22/17 mortal wounds are average in this circumstance which is great but the circumstance was not average. 

I guess your opponent have learnt some stuff from this game.

I am the proud owner of 11 Fyreslayers who might even make it to The Warlords. From my test game they are decent.

I like the combo of deep striking with ward saves. Going forward, I'm considering a large unit of Hearthguard and a Runesmiter and a large unit of 30 Vulkites plus Runesmiter (with the shields for 5 mortal wounds on the charge, which they can reroll one of the dice).

Give them a good allegiance pack (Order one is the worst by a long way); and persuade TOs to stop inadvertently comp stomping the Lords of the Lodge when they are trying to stop Kairos messing with initiative; and I'm sold.

Great to see Fyreslayers winning. [emoji4] I dont think Nico think fyreslayers a ****** (more like a mid or maybe lower tier army that is difficult to play).

I think he more reacted to that this was a perfect almost theory hammer set up you managed. Or atleast I did.

You had 1/4 of your army in one unit. You managed to place that unit in position to charge exactly the units you wanted without interference. And before that your opponent first give the cabbage the ur-gold then moved him up to your Runemaster giving you extra attacks and also staying close to a Hurricanum to give you plus one to hit. Then you managed the 9" charge etc..

But I agree 22/17 mortal wounds are average in this circumstance which is great but the circumstance was not average. 

I guess your opponent have learnt some stuff from this game.

It would happen just about every time with Ironjawz as a lot of people use them like a a big Death Star. I don't know how I'm gonna go against other armies. I'm thinking about taking anothing run smiter just to ensure i get the Save re-roll buff in there. It did work out perfectly but I would think that's cool?? Not something try ****** on?

I am the proud owner of 11 Fyreslayers who might even make it to The Warlords. From my test game they are decent.

I like the combo of deep striking with ward saves. Going forward, I'm considering a large unit of Hearthguard and a Runesmiter and a large unit of 30 Vulkites plus Runesmiter (with the shields for 5 mortal wounds on the charge, which they can reroll one of the dice).

Give them a good allegiance pack (Order one is the worst by a long way); and persuade TOs to stop inadvertently comp stomping the Lords of the Lodge when they are trying to stop Kairos messing with initiative; and I'm sold.

What do you mean by TOs Como stoning the lords of the lodge formation??

1 hour ago, Papapene said:

It would happen just about every time with Ironjawz as a lot of people use them like a a big Death Star. I don't know how I'm gonna go against other armies. I'm thinking about taking anothing run smiter just to ensure i get the Save re-roll buff in there. It did work out perfectly but I would think that's cool?? Not something try ****** on?

It's cool and an Ironjawz player might think he can run you over. But next time he is going to stay outside your buff-range and go in only when he can take out or try to take out your supporting heros. But you might crush him anyway. ? It is probably an ok match up in some battleplans when I think about it since he wants to fight you in close combat and the units are tough but not frostlord on stonehorn tough.

Keep your reports comming. ? 

It's cool and an Ironjawz player might think he can run you over. But next time he is going to stay outside your buff-range and go in only when he can take out or try to take out your supporting heros. But you might crush him anyway. [emoji6] It is probably an ok match up in some battleplans when I think about it since he wants to fight you in close combat and the units are tough but not frostlord on stonehorn tough.

Keep your reports comming. [emoji846] 

The list is far from complete. I think I'll go alright against Beastclaw Raiders actually. I'm gonna have trouble capturing objectives and fighting shooty armies but hopefully I can figure something out. Hopefully they point Subterranian Fyrestorm for me!

Tournament Organisers often adopt a long-standing rule that you cannot reroll or adjust the initiative rolls. This is squarely aimed at Kairos as it makes him overpowered at that cost. However the 160 point Lords of the Lodge (one of the most expensive in the GH, Clan Skryre is 200) costs that much as it allows you to add up to 3 to the initiative rolls - this ability should not be comped out.

• 2 weeks later...

Tournament Organisers often adopt a long-standing rule that you cannot reroll or adjust the initiative rolls. This is squarely aimed at Kairos as it makes him overpowered at that cost. However the 160 point Lords of the Lodge (one of the most expensive in the GH, Clan Skryre is 200) costs that much as it allows you to add up to 3 to the initiative rolls - this ability should not be comped out.

Dang, I hope not! It's a cool ability!

Archived