Obnoxious pop up ads

HollowHills

Whole page popup ads? Either I'm missing these as a mod (yet I still see all the regular ads so I don't think so?) or its something slipping one of the ad filters perhaps? I know on some spots there are regular ads because I see things like displate ads and the like. Big page popup ads shouldn't (I don't think) be appearing. If you can remember the specific ad and what its for that might help as Ben might have to report them to the ad firm (google?) to remove/block from here.

3 hours ago, Overread said:

Whole page popup ads? Either I'm missing these as a mod (yet I still see all the regular ads so I don't think so?) or its something slipping one of the ad filters perhaps? I know on some spots there are regular ads because I see things like displate ads and the like. Big page popup ads shouldn't (I don't think) be appearing. If you can remember the specific ad and what its for that might help as Ben might have to report them to the ad firm (google?) to remove/block from here.

If this is what @HollowHills is talking about, It happens for me occasionally when I try to click on a thread to read.

This is an example when I clicked on this thread, from the forum page. This issue first appeared for me starting yesterday.

To be clear, it's not always ad's for this company, I've had several different ads, but they are all like this, full page that you have to click out of to continue to the thread.

Screenshot (41).png

Edited by Athrawes
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have to agree that these ads are incredibly obnoxious. I get them every time I click on a thread, and the stuff being advertised is all annoying or sleazy, like those exploitative browser game ads and stuff like that. I understand the site has to be funded somehow but this seems a bit beyond the pale, I've not seen anything like this on any other forum. 

3 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Strange, I have never seen such popup apps for mobile games here on that page. (or they get blocked in my case)

I thought the only adds are stuff like this:

ACtC-3dWoBzdFYy30MHEKTKEtM5cEeZA95_MOFWB

If you're using an ad blocker, that might be preventing them from triggering.

For those of us that are getting them, basically what happens is you click on a thread, and instead of taking you to that thread, it switches to a big advert that blurs out all the rest of the page. You then have to click to close that before it'll take you to the actual thread. It's not quite a popup, in that it doesn't open in a new window, but it's the same effect - and in some ways is worse, because it won't even load the page you're actually trying to get to until you close the ad. 

I cannot grasp why this forum, compared to all the other forums (dakka, warseer, Bolter and chainsword, you name it), needs so much money for running it, that the owner needs to resort to pop up ads. Can anyone explain why? I’ve never seen pop up ads on any other forum, and while the banner ads are obnoxiously big, are placed between topic titles, that I can deal with - pop up ads are seriously making me considering leaving. 

Running costs are quite openly announced at 5k GBP a year. We can even see the progress on how far donations go. I can fully understand that Ben don´t have the urge to pay from his private money so we might use his page for free. TGA is a neat community and by far one of the most positive around with a fair share of active and supportive community members. 

On 2/28/2021 at 7:48 AM, Sleboda said:

I get a full page ad almost every time I click on a thread or my notifications. Annoying, but tolerable.

Do you have some form of browser security or cookie setting that would force a reset?

I get it once a day on the first notification I go to.  

The only struggle I have is I often right click the notifications then go to each.  The AD pop up sets all my notifications to read and takes me to the first.

Having been a mod in the past in old fantasy forums and knowing the cost of running a site I don't mind the one time ad.  

I'm on a computer not iPhone.  

• 1 month later...

I've only just noticed this thread.  

To answer a few questions: 

Running costs.  

These are currently 330USD per month for the forum software and hosting.  this goes up with volume of use but has been at this level for a couple of years now. 

Additional 40-60GBP for Amazon AWS media server depending on usage

Similar amount for email provider.  

Roughly 4-5k per year.  Not accounting for the time spent managing it for me or the admin team.  

Ads in general. 

Ads are needed to pay the bills.  We tried donations and it doesn't cover it.  not even close.  We also tried merch that didn't sell and is another job to manage.  

Pop up ads/Google Ads. 

I don't know enough about this to make the most of them .  From what I understand about the ad sets we added to the site, they display ads based on your own usage.  This could possibly be tweaked to be more effective but I don't have enough knowledge of the system sort it out.  

The pop-ups have been selected to NOT display.  I think sometimes they slip through.  

If we have a community member experienced in setting up google ads it would be a big help.  

hope this clears things up.

I end up paying a big chunk of this out of my own pocket most months.  In previous years the payoff between selling event tickets and Scenery Dice has been worth the costs of running the forums.  With no events its been an expensive year.