Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

There doesn't seem to be enough love here for the former Empire.  Is anybody playing with their Empire army under the Freeguild / Devotee of Sigmar / Ironweld / Collegiate Arcane?

To start the ball rolling here is a 2,500pt list I recently used. The list is a traditional Empire list with the addition of a Celestant Prime (acting as Sigmar, using a Voltan model) and Gryph-hound (because I had a spare 40 pts).  I've learnt a lot with this list and will be looking to make slight amendments for the next match...

Free Guild of the Empire   2500  

Leader Type Points Models
1 Celestant Prime (acting as Sigmar) 360 1
2 Battlemage 100 1
3 Freeguild General 100 1

Battleline      
1 Freeguild Guard (swords) 240 30
2 Freeguild Guard (swords) 80 10
3 Freeguild Crossbowmen 200 20
4 Freeguild Archers 100 10

Freeguild Greatswords 480 30
  Gryph-hound 40 1

Artillery      
1 Cannon 180 1

Behemoths      
1 Steam Tank 300 1
2 Celestial Hurricanum 320 1

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started mixing in some Free Peoples in with my Duardin. Really enjoying the movement and magic it offers  (where dwarfs really lack both!)

The above list looks nice! fairly similar to mine but replace a few units with Duardin battleline and some warmachines. What force did you play in your match? How did it deal with mortal wounds etc?

I have a small 1000 point Empire army.
General  100

Steam tank 300

Handgunners  100
Guards w Shield and swords 80

Ice pheoenix 260

Battlemage 100

Witchhunter 60

I had a priest in there, but then I noticed the rule about the priests only helps Devoted to Sigmar :(

I dont really like the Witchhunter, but don't know what else to bring.

I play with my old empire force still.

I'll admit, while they were my main (and favourite) army for 8th, I've lost enthusiasm for them a bit due to uncertainty with what the faction will ultimately end up becoming.

Warhammer Quest has made me optimistic though - I've always been a fan of the simarite religious aesthetic. Would love for them to flesh out the Devoted of Sigmar with a battletome and some new models!

(I also can't bear to rebase my entire army!)

14 hours ago, Fungrim said:

What force did you play in your match? How did it deal with mortal wounds etc?

I've played this list against two different death armies. Overall it held up well, however; I felt up against the wall with no benefit from rend while they had their 6+ bonus save. 

Greatswords have become my big hitting unit who hold the core incredibly well while dishing out serious hits and wounds. 

9 hours ago, Grønlykke said:

I had a priest in there, but then I noticed the rule about the priests only helps Devoted to Sigmar :(

I had the same issue. I haven't looked into the rules of the Excelsior Warpriest though.

5 hours ago, Russellbogentoff said:

I'll admit, while they were my main (and favourite) army for 8th, I've lost enthusiasm for them a bit due to uncertainty with what the faction will ultimately end up becoming.

I only play Empire so I've bit the bullet and trying to make the most out of my 4th edition army (which is why I've even called them Free Guild of the Empire). I've mounted 6 Empire heroes on Demigryphs which is easing the pain...

9 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

I've played this list against two different death armies. Overall it held up well, however; I felt up against the wall with no benefit from rend while they had their 6+ bonus save. 

Greatswords have become my big hitting unit who hold the core incredibly well while dishing out serious hits and wounds. 

Ah greatswords, I've not given them a punt yet, might have to look into them. I've given archers a go, with a few buffs they can work nicely - die very quickly though.

Had my first game with a steam tank recently and it was fantastic in 3 rounds, then terrible in 2. Although that's my dice rolling for you...

10 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

I only play Empire so I've bit the bullet and trying to make the most out of my 4th edition army (which is why I've even called them Free Guild of the Empire). I've mounted 6 Empire heroes on Demigryphs which is easing the pain...

Really like Greatswords - in AOS they've become a bit more 'Elite' - as befits their status! 

Big fan of demigryphs as well - I usually run them in units of three now they've got more wounds each model, though I could always do with more!

Initially, I only ran out a small group of Greatswords, however; they work out to be amazing when you buff them with a general and hurricanum close, and a spell buff or two. I can't think of the magic school I've been picking but I think it was the old Amber college. 

Steam Tank and Cannon and have been hit or miss for me. One game the steam tank held up a zombie dragon, and the cannon nailed 12 wounds in a single round to a behemoth... while in others they do a whole lot of nothing.

@RussellbogentoffAny advice on Demigryphs?

10 hours ago, AsraiR said:

I'm just re-fettling my Empire at the moment for games. Playing a 1k Stormcast list tomorrow with the following:

Quite looking forward to it.

@AsraiR Let us know how you go. I'm yet to use Halberds and it's currently my last option in the Guard. I'm considering using a small lot of Spears that sit behind my Swords and support with their 2" range.

Freeguild General on Griffon

Battlemage x 2

Luminark

Hurricanum x 2

Freeguild Crossbowmen 20

Freeguild Guard 30 (Shield and swords) 

Freeguild Guard 10 (Shield and swords)

Freeguild Guard 10 (Shield and swords)

I ran this recently at a one day, 2000 point 3 game tournament. It did well, with 2 major wins and a minor win which i could have turned into a major had i not had a miss play (forgot about the mission). I came across a horde goblin army in board war,  A dark elf list in gifts from the heavens, and a Beastclaw  list for blood and glory. The army worked well and the heavy amount of damage that it can put out  gave me the ability to play the game i wanted. 

I controlled the mage phase with my 5 spells and 5 counters getting plus one to both cast and unbind. The battle mages were great as i could pick what spells i was taking at each game this gave me the choice of having them as support or damage dealers.   

The real weakness of the list is, it is slow and and outside of a few units can't get across the board in a hurry. It's damage dealers also become rather weak once they take a few wounds.

8 hours ago, MrCharisma said:

@RussellbogentoffAny advice on Demigryphs?

I normally run them in units of 3-4 as support for some of my larger units, to prevent charges or shorten the combat time. 

They normally run alongside greatswords or my freeguild guard, and rush ahead if I want to avoid getting charged, or charge the flank of an opposing unit in support.

If I block the charge it gives me the advantage against monsters and the like, as I can charge in with my Greatswords, etc, who seem to be good at killing large single models.

With the amount of wounds each model has, they tend to stick around for a while before suffering battleshock.

(I should mention that my usual opponents play hordes of skaven and death, so the armour is an advantage!)

The steam tank has been hit and miss for me as well - it tends to lose wounds too quickly to be useful!

Edit: I can't remember off the top of my head what the minimum unit size for Demi's is in matched play, is it still 3?

3 hours ago, Russellbogentoff said:

The steam tank has been hit and miss for me as well - it tends to lose wounds too quickly to be useful!

Edit: I can't remember off the top of my head what the minimum unit size for Demi's is in matched play, is it still 3?

@Russellbogentoff Demigryph min is 3, and thanks for the advice. Something that helped me keep my steam tank alive was including a cogsmith. 

@Primaz how did you find the General on Griffon went? I'm thinking of running with one this weekend 

Thinking of running this list over the weekend... I'd love people's thoughts.

Type Points Models
Freeguild General on Griffon 300 1
Battlemage 100 1

Freeguild Guard (swords) 240 30
Freeguild Guard (spears) 160 20

Demigrphy Knights 200 3
Freeguild Greatswords 160 10

Griffon 0 1
Celestial Hurricanum 320 1

I've been less than impressed with Archers/Crossbow/Handgunners, and the range difference in AoS vs. WHFB is making me second guess their value in lower point battles. 

I'm planning to buff the Greatswords, use the Spears behind them with the 2" range, Swords as a suedo detachment, and the rest to provide buffs.

17 minutes ago, Russellbogentoff said:

@MrCharisma that's a great idea, and I love the model! Do you find the cogsmith has trouble keeping up with the tank though?

Slightly off-topic, but i noticed that Knights seem be be renegated to the legacy lists now. Does anyone use them alongside their freeguild still? How do they fare?

Empire and Reiksguard knights and pretty much all old 8th ed heavy cav not elite enough to have "blood" or "grail" in their names are now neutered, rendless tarpits zipping across the battlefield holding stuff up for turns on end with a decent save but doing pretty much the opposite of what guys armed with lances are supposed to do on the charge. Think much faster, more expensive liberators without a grandhammer and you're about there.

1 minute ago, Russellbogentoff said:

A good list, Karl Franz would be proud! I'd personally take more greatswords if you're planning to invest magic into them, but they're a bit costly compared with freeguild guard.

I'm new to AoS as who is Carl Franz?

1 minute ago, Double Misfire said:

Empire and Reiksguard knights and pretty much all old 8th ed heavy cav not elite enough to have "blood" or "grail" in their names are now neutered, rendless tarpits zipping across the battlefield holding stuff up for turns on end with a decent save but doing pretty much the opposite of what guys armed with lances are supposed to do on the charge. Think much faster, more expensive liberators without a grandhammer and you're about there.

I'm new to AoS as who is Carl Franz?

Karl Franz was the Emporer to the main human faction in the world-that-was. Though he's dead, the Freeguild will always remember him (as his name is still written on all of their equipment)

Shame about the Knights, I've got two converted units on the shelf! Mind you the demigryphs have more personality and seem to have avoided the hatchet. 

I thought Bretoniana  was the main human/good guy faction in the old setting?? I need to read up on my lore ! :S

Knights still have their uses, they're great in games played on larger boards for grabbing matched play objectives early and tying up your opponent's important stuff in combat for a few rounds, just don't expect them to smash though anything in a single round (or multiple rounds even) in the way they used to.

1 hour ago, Russellbogentoff said:

@MrCharisma that's a great idea, and I love the model! Do you find the cogsmith has trouble keeping up with the tank though?

Slightly off-topic, but i noticed that Knights seem be be renegated to the legacy lists now. Does anyone use them alongside their freeguild still? How do they fare?

That would be my concern with a cogsmith, little legs staying with the 2d6 movement! Better maybe with one of your mages planting mystic shield on your tank for a 2+ save?

Thinking about it, my main opponents are Stormcast, Ironjawz and Warriors of Chaos players so I always imagine my theoryhammer units are going to be going up against 4+ saves. Empire knights' lances might actually be incredible against less armoured armies/units like bonespilterz and bloodreavers, if you get lucky and rock up against an army containing units with 6+ saves or worse your tarpit/objective grabbers might get a chance to shine as linbreakers.

Were the Dogs of War a human faction or were they actual dogs like skaven or the lizardmen ?

2 minutes ago, Fungrim said:

That would be my concern with a cogsmith, little legs staying with the 2d6 movement! Better maybe with one of your mages planting mystic shield on your tank for a 2+ save?

If you're going down that route, use Grimm Burlockson instead of a basic cogsmith, he costs the same points, is better in every way and heals D3 wounds on a friendly warmachine a turn instead of a single one. Might want to think about using an Excelsior Warpriest or Jade Battlemage who can heal D3 wounds a turn from a distance instead though.

Archived