Warhammer Quest: Cursed City Previews

Sception

A quick update note:  During the presentation, the presenters said Radukar was a vampire ogre, and I've repeated that a few times.  However, while he's a pretty beefy model, based on this art:

FB_IMG_1613857405631.jpg.78e7b008fc6aec0a652da934afa8cb0c.jpg

Yeah, it's a bit nebulous on the model's features, but from the artwork that very clearly is not an ogre's face.  Apparently the "Kosargi Nightguard" big zombies /are/ ogres, but Radukar definitely is not.

59 minutes ago, Sception said:

A quick update note:  During the presentation, the presenters said Radukar was a vampire ogre, and I've repeated that a few times.  However, while he's a pretty beefy model, based on this art:

FB_IMG_1613857405631.jpg.78e7b008fc6aec0a652da934afa8cb0c.jpg

Yeah, it's a bit nebulous on the model's features, but from the artwork that very clearly is not an ogre's face.  Apparently the "Kosargi Nightguard" big zombies /are/ ogres, but Radukar definitely is not.

The interesting thing is. Looking at the model (the face) you still see the Ogor features, but not on the picture on the left.

• Like 1

I think it's just 'vampire angry face' and not deliberately ogerish, which tend to have larger mouths & jaws.  But yeah, from the model alone I was willing to accept the comments from the presenters.  But from the artwork, no the definitely got that detail wrong.  Which happens, nbd.

It's kind of a big deal lore-wise if Radukar is an Ogor or not. Being an Ogor would imply that he is very tough and strong but also rather stupid. The Vampirism could somewhat change that but AFAIK it simply makes the afflicted person stronger, faster etc. but not suddenly smarter. Yes, yes I know that there are some exceptions with some "smart" Ogors being around. 

On the other hand, him being an Ogor would mean he is part of a tribe and this could open up some future expansions with more Zombie/Vampire Ogors. Which whould be dope af!

NewModelModay Mar1 Details2p

Kritza, the Rat Prince

Spoiler

This well-dressed fellow hails from the Vyrgos Dynasty of Soulblight Vampires. As you can probably tell from his fancy attire, Kritza was once counted among the nobility of Ulfenkarn (which you can read about in our first Cursed City crier). Unfortunately, his attempts to secretly undermine the lord of the land led him to an ill fate, and he was horribly mauled by Radukar the Wolf.

So, it seems we will be having some sort of Bloodlines, called "dynasties", and one of them will be "Vyrgos".  This guy's directly connected to the main antagonist of the Cursed city, so is this a Cursed City expansion character?  If so, he could be an antagonist or a playable dude, since he seems to be an enemy of Radukar.  Alternatively this could be a new Soulblight character who is just narratively connected to the Cursed City.

Either way, he's cool as beans.  I really love this guy.  And he's at leased Cursed City adjacent, so in the thread he goes.

Edited by Sception
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

The swarms of bats and rats were ok for a while, but with THIS guy in context, it reminds me of what got me into Warhammer Fantasy: Skaven and the fantastic pied piper story. 

Now I am imagining a vampire that specifically "allies" with Skaven for even more undead fodder and some more swarmy friends, drowning people in a horde of undead rats of many different sizes. Love it.

15 hours ago, Sception said:

NewModelModay Mar1 Details2p

I really love this guy. He might be my favourite new vampire yet.

Something important that this guy does for me is to give context to rat swarms. I always felt they were kind of out of place, given that Skaven exist and that Soulblight already have bat swarms (which are much better connected to them in their design). Now, I'm even considering building a bats, rats and automobiles wolves list when the book rolls around. That's saying a lot, since those models were previously my least favourite in LoN.

New 'Deadwalker Zombies' article on warcom today:

WHQ CursedCityCrier Mar4 Content2l

Warhammer Community article: link

There's not an explicit description of why they're all staked or rooted to chunks of cobblestone & pavement, apart from the sort of half suggestion that the gravesites may have a sort of necromantic will of their own, and the zombified corpse hordes carrying them about are more dead flesh puppets than free roaming undead creatures in their own right.

The grim truth is that the living dead far outnumber actual living beings in the Cursed City. The Shyish Nadir is so close that the magic of Death suffuses everything. This foul energy concentrates in places already associated with death – such as the mass burial grounds scattered around Ulfenkarn’s various districts. 

These so-called corpse-gardens have attained a sickening sentience, a sort of dread hunger that seemingly employs undead bodies like puppets to seek out fresh souls. The Deadwalker Zombies roam the streets of Ulfenkarn, preying upon anything that gets too close. 

We also get a bit more lore on Gorslav, including the suggestion that he may be an order of zombified necromages rather than a lone singular dude, adding fuel to speculation that he could represent a new full fledged hero type in the Soulblight Gravelords battlesome currently scheduled for later this year.

According to local legends, Gorslav never speaks – so nobody can determine if he was once a mortal man that’s turned into a glorified zombie-like his charges. In fact, it’s not even clear if the Gravekeeper is a single being or a gruesome order of necrotheurges. What’s not in dispute, however, is his mastery of the winds of death and his command over the Deadwalkers. 

• Thanks 1

The new article touches on several ideas that I love.

An order of necromages driven to compile and tend to mass graves to keep the deadwalker population so high is an interesting idea. Mirroring life gardens by having their own twisted sentience and unchecked growth is cool.

More importantly, the idea that places of death could be haunted and empowered not just by those who died, but by Shyish itself is awesome. The possibilities are endless, even if GW does not directly capitalize on it!

Imagine a haunted house not JUST infested with spirits, but the house itself comes to life, a shifting construct that slaughters the curious passerbys until it can animate itself completely and stomp around, a twisted giant golem filled with uncertain corridors and traps and trapped souls. Would be an amazing giant piece, maybe even inspiration for a Cursed City expansion or even just a wild mission and custom table! Fight your way out of the moving Death House!

Looking at the map of Ulfenkarn, 5 sites are associated with villains supplied in the box. There are 5 other sites. Will these be populated by villains and minions from an expansion? If so, can we guess what the nature of those new villains might be?

From map on Cursed City website:

The Hangman’s Corpse - bats

Van Alten Skydocks - no hint

Shadowed Crypt Halls - haunting music and screams

The Clot - sounds like ghouls to me

Ghiestgale - ghosts, no doubt

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Looking at the map of Ulfenkarn, 5 sites are associated with villains supplied in the box. There are 5 other sites. Will these be populated by villains and minions from an expansion? If so, can we guess what the nature of those new villains might be?

From map on Cursed City website:

The Hangman’s Corpse - bats

Van Alten Skydocks - no hint

Shadowed Crypt Halls - haunting music and screams

The Clot - sounds like ghouls to me

Ghiestgale - ghosts, no doubt

The haunting music could maybe link to this  rumour engine of a boney instrument thing 

557476B9-62A7-44B9-835E-9B1A62F457C4.jpeg

• Like 3