A Positivity Palete Cleanser

Kramer

9 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

@Pyrescribe who won, light or blight?

Blight. 7-8. It literally came down to my ability to roll a 2+ on Emotional Transference at the bottom of Turn 4 for a unit of Dawn Riders but, alas, it could not be done. The game was a blast, and hard fought on both sides.

Edited by Pyrescribe
  • Like 4

On 1/31/2021 at 11:25 AM, KingBrodd said:

Mate I loved your post previous to this and yet again I thank you for your kind words on this forum, you've also been a great help to me with my own anxiety.

You are honestly the first reason I decided to stick to this forum, your kind words and shared excitement of not just the Sons but the opportunities and future of this hobby were so enrapturing it almost feels like a placebo when I see your name in notifications. A true brother in the Realms we call life. 

I sincerely do not deserve such lofty praise, but ditto on all the kind words as your posts and presence makes this community much more positive and everyone loves reading your enthusiastic posts. I am always excited to see your updates and look forward to hearing more tales of your Gargant's exploits. Dealing with high levels of anxiety is a terrible burden, but it also teaches a lot of coping mechanisms that have been very useful for the pandemic. I have had a number of family and friends reach out and commiserate over their experiences in the past year as they have better understood my situation. 

Returning more directly to positivity in the hobby, I must say that one of the most fun parts of this hobby is speculation and I have been really enjoying the potential build up towards 3.0 and the ongoing Broken Realms narrative. I think one thing that is particularly interesting is seeing which books feature which factions as I was pleasantly surprised to see Nurgle is getting some love in the upcoming Teclis book.

I am also pretty excited at the prospect of potentially receiving further broken realm boxsets, I am not certain that we will get more as it was a pretty cool and unexpected bonus to the campaign. If we do I can imagine a city styled box set focusing on Phoniex Guard. However, even if we do not get new Boxsets I am hopeful that a Lumineth and OBR start collecting set might release around that time.  

• LOVE IT! 1

On 1/30/2021 at 11:06 PM, Kramer said:

I need some more positivity in this hobby. Help me get excited.  

Here I want to hear what you are excited about; what you are passionately painting or eagerly awaiting!

I'm painting some old 1987 Jes Goodwin sculpted Wardancers to use as Wildwood Rangers.  the models are a joy to paint, classic from my childhood and I'm happy to be a much better painter these days so I can do them right.

I've been painting old metal Centigors for a Khorne Beasts of Chaos lists also.  Excited to use models with a fun lore and imaginative creative setting.  Also I picked these up cheap and happy to keep them on the gaming table :)

Looking back at the Gnome Warhammer army created by someone who used Night Goblins and Treelords.  Showed my two young kiddos the photos and they laughed saying "these are cute but they look like angry gnomes".   (hope that made you chuckle, cause if funny comments from kids don't make you laugh,.. seek out some good classic humour).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A bit late to this but I'm very positive/optimistic hobby wise. I'm really enjoying seeing how the BR narrative is developing and looking forward to seeing the Slaaneshi and Lumineth factions expand [even though they aren't my thing]. I'm interested in the possible appearance of BR Alarielle, I'm hoping for a return of Kurnoth and the possibility of a Kurnothi faction/subfaction. I've a converted Kurnothi war band so the idea of adding more official models is something I'd love to see. The recent rumour engines have had something that looks very Tyranid and another which looks very Dwarf/duardin so I'm excited by what might be coming for my two favourite factions. 

Cursed City is probably what I'm excited about most- it looks like a great setting and the models we've seen so far look amazing. It feels like a set I could buy and paint up and maybe get my old gaming buddy to play, he doesn't have much time now with having 2 young kids but this might be the perfect setting. The Soulblight also look very tempting and could get me back into my Vamp army.. so yes the future is looking promising!

• Like 3

Personally, I'm currently in the excited mode, too :) I'm really impressed with the new AoS ranges like the Lumineth or the new Slaaneshi models. I'm really curious about what's coming for vampires!

On the WH40K side of things, I can't wait for Piety & Pain... and I'm really frustrated that my pre-ordered copy of the Deathguard codex still has not arrived. I suspect Brexit is to blame...

I'm also excited because of having managed to get over a kind of, uhm, mental block I got in the end of 2020 - and I'm currently assembling models again. Not painting, mind you - just assembling for the moment. Still, progress! :)  I'm currently working on my Infinity stuff, but I hope on getting to AoS / WH40K stuff soon, too.

Wanna see some photos? Here's one corner of my room with one wargaming pile:

mini_positivity1.jpg.9f0b5824b5435691812cdba239c1fd5e.jpg

And here's a bookshelf...

mini_positivity2.jpg.e3b1fe30af6bf796ea787a7d9d3a2c18.jpg

And some other stuff lying around here...

mini_positivity3.jpg.d2de98a3169f3ffa760c5107199465b2.jpg

And here's my WIP shelf with a half-painted Cauldron of Blood between Infinity's Guija and Maghariba:

mini_positivity4.jpg.128cce3f2698561aa43d89c4e606ee96.jpg

And here are some Infinity minis ready for assembly:

mini_positivity5.jpg.84ff1924a05eaafe17fa7c9e33c573e6.jpg

And here are some assembled troopers - waiting to have their line of sight arcs painted on...

mini_positivity6.jpg.d0f3d427c5e128c63da2370dcca62190.jpg

Overall, I'm in a positive mood right now! :)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So today's preview was pretty bloody positive. I haven't seen any major gripes and I am looking forward to getting a big massive plastic Be'Lakor.

Also I sent the preview to my Death Playing cousin and he is really excited for Quest. I am sad that I won't be picking it up but I am glad that he will be. Also those Lumineth look fantastic!

• Like 4

I'm managing to break my hobby haitus with some SW legion clones and now also the drusa kraeth box I picked up :D Enjoying the idea of being able to build a dark elf army since I've been enjoying them tons in total war. Planning to make a AoA hero on a cold one from spare bits because I'm enjoying sending Malus in to wreck house far too much on total war XD

Well, I’m pretty much ecstatic (while staying properly serene of course *cough) for the new Lumineth release. It’s even better than the first wave. So 🥳🥰😃

And all the rest looked also great. I really like the design of the new Warhammer Quest models, especially, of course, the new Wizard and Missionary. 

And can’t wait to see what’s going on with Belakor! 

• LOVE IT! 1

9 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Well, I’m pretty much ecstatic (while staying properly serene of course *cough) for the new Lumineth release. It’s even better than the first wave. So 🥳🥰😃

And all the rest looked also great. I really like the design of the new Warhammer Quest models, especially, of course, the new Wizard and Missionary. 

And can’t wait to see what’s going on with Belakor! 

I am so happy to see this release and was excited to see your response. I think some of the models seem a tad to delicate for my liking but overall the actual designs are amazing (sadly some of my favourites are the more delicate ones). For some reason the Loreseeker is quickly becoming my favourite, such a simple and elegant design it also helps frame the rest of the line by presenting almost a template that you can imagine the other Lumineth starting with before adding embellishments and flare to their uniforms. The Calligrave is almost the polar opposite as a flamboyant model with amazing stilt shoes and magical parchment... 

I just don't know if I would go Alarith/Huracan or Vanari? I think for financial reasons I would let the inevitable start collecting box decide. Although, between Malerion and now the Knights of Azyr I will have to wait before committing as there are some potentially cool new armies on the horizon... however, I am an impatient person.

But luckily I have Be'Lakor and some Ogors to tie me over. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

@Neverchosen Yes, the Lumineth models are on the delicate side. I haven't had too many issues so far, but then I also haven't had that many opportunities to bring them on the table. You definitely have to be a bit careful with them. : )

You named two of my most favorite model among the new range: The Loreseeker's background is perfect for a story-based "my guy" model and I'm sure we will see the Loreseeker as an Archetype in Soulbound at some point. The Calligrave is an example for why I love AoS. A Wizard based on painting runes with liquified magic to purify the land while walking on still shoes and wearing a proper Wizard's Hat Extraordinaire. I really want to shake the hand of the person/team who came up with this concept and execution of it. 

The whole release is so good. Half of it is nicely updated models of former HE favorites like the Battle Standard Bearer, the Swordmasters and the Loremaster, and the other half are all the new fantastic animals, cloud riding mages, spirits and a magic painter (calligrapher). I have the feeling (but for the new Battletome) this release is much less controversial than the first wave. 

As for Vanari vs Aelementiri, why not both? : ). I'd have recommended the army box from last year, at a reduced price that was a pretty good deal, but with the new Battletome coming out, it's very likely not worth it anymore (and as you mentioned before - still pretty expensive). Good to wait for a Battlebox, especially  if you also have a lot of other models you want, that's true : ) .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll try to add to this.

1. The value of my GW shares has pretty much tripled in just a little over a year.

2. I've painted hundreds of models in that same time.

3. Just last week I (finally!) finished the last of the poxwalkers I got from the previous 40K.

4. My Necrons are going great, using a paint scheme and sequence that really speeds things up without losing quality.

5. In a week a celebrate 5 years with the love of my life @TwiceIfILikeIt, who also is super into this hobby!

6. Booze is yummy and I have my own bar, so Covid is not slowing me down.

7. The new Blood Bowl is fantastic and I've painted a few new teams for it already.

8. In my house I have a dedicated room for 40K related games, one for AoS related games, one for Zombicide/Arcadia Quest/etc., one for storage of unopened or "next up" models, one for painting, and, at long last, just added ... an indoor priming booth!

9. I have only had to put on pants that were not sweats twice in the last 12 months.

10. I finally found the perfect chair for marathon hobby sessions.

All in all, not too shabby. 😁

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

For all this last year's ****** I've been quite chuffed with my hobby progress.

1. I've gotten two more friends into the hobby in 2020. 

2. I've painted more models this year than any other, finishing a Skaven army, Blood Angels army, all of my endless spells and painting several great models I've wanted to for a while.

3. GW is putting out amazing new stuff. I'm so excited to delve back into my first love of Legions of Nagash with the new Cursed City.

4. Everyone here makes up an amazing community. I'm usually a lurker but y'all are wonderful to hang out with.

Going through my old photos was quite fun here are just a few I finished in 2020

IMG_20210110_192520_978.jpg

IMG_20201221_144842_696.jpg

IMG_20201001_122210_314.jpg

IMG_20200827_213613_604.jpg

IMG_20200822_073133_446.jpg

IMG_20200806_160128_093.jpg

IMG_20200731_090216_662.jpg

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

I would also love to indulge in some positivity if that's alright!

I rediscovered the hobby during lockdown (used to collect Chaos/Slaanesh as a kid) and I am loving all of it. I have immersed myself in the message boards (lurking this one mainly) and I am glued to YouTube/Twitch when I can be - particularly a fan of GooberTown/eMR/Vince/TTM/Sam Lenz. The journey so far has been a perfect blend of escapism and nostalgia and the painting side has also offered a real chance to improve a skill which feeds the motivation to continue. Honestly, at this point my mental health owes a lot to Warhammer which would have sounded odd to me a year ago.

The paint jobs, terrain pieces, conversion ideas, fan fiction, digital art etc in these threads and beyond is so impressive and I really feel like I am in this for the long haul.

I am only a recent returner to the hobby and have not even played a game yet so I do understand those out there that have invested infinitely more time, effort, and money are fully entitled to their criticism. It's just, you won't hear any of that from me just yet. 

A couple of weeks ago I got the urge to start a Skaven army so right now I am just waiting for my Skaven SC box to be delivered and I am very excited about it. I just have to decide if I am going to stick with the green colour theme for the Pestilens or go for something more original - any ideas/tips/input etc is very welcome. Thank you!

Thought I would share a couple of models I have done in the last few months.. nothing special but it's a start.

IMG_20200905_134338-01.jpeg.ef0d6015b47e4eac718b11c60720c820.jpeg

IMG_20201009_121456.jpg.365605f8065e33fb4f83fe21f92458cd.jpg

Edited by Irvy
  • Like 4

• 3 months later...

I know necromancy is sometimes frowned upon, but I can think of no better thread to pull back from it's rest. They say too much salt in your diet is bad for you, and yet it seems to be sprinkled quite liberally on the threads I have been frequenting most recently.

So, back to the palette cleanser.

For my part, I've been quite happy with most everything that's come out thus far. The Broken Realms series has been a slam-dunk in my humble opinion. Not all books have been equal but none of them have been bad, and I've been enjoying them immensely. With one last book on the horizon, I'm excited to se the conclusion to this saga (even if GFW already spoiled it ;) ).

I got into this hobby because of the Stormcast, and I am terribly excited for tomorrow's reveal. Though I was a little lukewarm on the new armor design initially, I suspect I'll fall in love with them  once I have the models in my hand (as happens so often). My interest in the new, mysterious orruk faction has also been growing steadily, particularly as it may serve to expand my beloved Warclans.

I'm eager to see the changes and improvements inbound with the game's third edition. Much of it looks to mirror changes made in 40k, and I consider that a good thing overall.

I haven't actually spent much time hobbying of late, I think I burned myself out a bit painting up my Lumineth (gorgeous models, but I chose a paint scheme that can be a lot of work.) Then again, I think a part of me is just waiting to get my hands on the new SCE models so I can begin work on them!

These are exciting times for the hobby, and I'm looking forward to what's still to come!

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

On 5/28/2021 at 11:35 AM, OkayestDM said:

I know necromancy is sometimes frowned upon, but I can think of no better thread to pull back from it's rest. *snip*

I don't know if the necromancy that is stopping people from posting here or if the forum has just become a salt mine, but these sort of threads do wonders for the hobby, but the lack of new replies both here and in other hobby threads is kind of telling of how the AoS hobby has shifted in the past year. But in hopes that we can pull more positivity back, I'll add to it as well.

I've found myself struggling to get back into anything productive hobby since finishing up a rather horrid year of Uni and my work contract finishing. I've spent months daydreaming off all the things I was going to paint as soon as it was done and now I just can't commit to a project. So I thought I'd chip away at the 'Mortal Citizens' initiative, which is to build a model(s) with the theme of the month, which can be read about in full detail, over on Warboss Kurgans blog here: https://warbosskurgan.blogspot.com/2021/01/mortal-citizens-orruk-skypirates.html#Diplomat

I had a few ideas for some of the months, but the first two I struggled with but ended up going with some nighthaunt models . January's was a Diplomat and February was for a messenger.

193299568_245835857299455_3301891703569083525_n.jpg.0d7df04eb857d90fa6670a87b13066f1.jpg
This 'Diplomat' ghost goes from town to town (or muddy village) recruiting the towns to its cause. Haunting the townsfolk with nothing but an eerie cry of 'Ssssssssssssign', the ghost won't leave until someone signs the towns name to his parchment, where he will then vanish until reappearing in a new town some months or even years later. To date, no town has been given any indication of what they've signed up for...

192779188_178958727371454_2179888423467986576_n.jpg.2cef9d6ccf096456c530e49d0338eae7.jpg

The messenger I may have taken a few liberties with the theme, as I struggled to come up with a good idea for him, but then thought what sends a better message than taking the heads of your enemies with the sweep of a scythe! Needs some greenstuff to fill the gaps before I spray a whole batch of ghosts.

gS7kHCE.jpg.1e66838d31284d7b336f954040b3be4f.jpg

Pretty pleased with my Slaaneshcast/chaos warrior kit bashes that I did a few months back during a rare moment of hobby time, I wanted something less 'spikes and chains' chaos and more like silks and gems. Need to get them finished up so I can start a new batch, as I really enjoy painting these colours. 

I'm looking forward to the reveal tonight, I'm hoping that I really like the new destruction army. My group are still playing first edition and I'm unlikely to buy into much of 3rd Ed, so the launch set will likely be the only purchase I make this edition (Unless we get Grotbag Scuttlers or Chaos Dwarves) I like the new stormcast but those alone won't be enough to make me want to buy the set, but it would be nice to have the book etc as part of my collection, even if I don't intend to switch editions.

I think AoS in a very good place for hobbyists right now, but in a precarious situation. Its straddling the two sides of the old world- it was put together from the left overs of WFB and with the new old world game incoming, it will rely on people showing off what can be done with the game/hobby, rather than complaining about the rules/releases all the time. I'm guilty of this too and trying to spend more time posting hobby content, but its difficult when things like the complaints threads attract the most conversation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of the guys on our local discord server put together A Tale of Some Warlords which grew to a massive 21 participants despite our regular AoS group being only five people.

Better yet, he's a mad narrative genius, and decided to do a Sons army that is themed, converted and kitbashed into the knights of the round table. I think @KingBrodd would be proud. One of them will have a tower with Rapuntzel in it on his back, another will be holding a battering ram like a stick-horse.

I'm taking the opportunity to paint up all my sylvaneth that I've bought over the years, but haven't felt motivated enough to paint so far, despite painting a nice amount of everything else.

Playing-wise, I felt very disheartened with my sylvaneth, but a friend got me into a Warcry campaign that we try to play each week, and it's been a blast. 

Thanks again for the thread, @Kramer

• LOVE IT! 2

9 hours ago, Kaylethia said:

One of the guys on our local discord server put together A Tale of Some Warlords which grew to a massive 21 participants despite our regular AoS group being only five people.

Better yet, he's a mad narrative genius, and decided to do a Sons army that is themed, converted and kitbashed into the knights of the round table. I think @KingBrodd would be proud. One of them will have a tower with Rapuntzel in it on his back, another will be holding a battering ram like a stick-horse.

I'm taking the opportunity to paint up all my sylvaneth that I've bought over the years, but haven't felt motivated enough to paint so far, despite painting a nice amount of everything else.

Playing-wise, I felt very disheartened with my sylvaneth, but a friend got me into a Warcry campaign that we try to play each week, and it's been a blast. 

Thanks again for the thread, @Kramer

That sounds incredible mate!! Please post pics if you can when it goes ahead!!

44 minutes ago, Kaylethia said:

The madlad gave permission, enjoy. The first chapter starts tomorrow and lasts for two months.

20210521_202112.jpg

3D64BA9A-DACF-4B1F-AF5E-9680D2F46C81.jpeg

0EC17786-17FB-4CB5-83B5-4D2A52C85AF7.jpeg

That is absolutely incredible, I'm really loving that concept. Please show more as the army develops!

• Like 1