A Positivity Palete Cleanser

Kramer

I need some more positivity in this hobby. Help me get excited.  No critical comments about models, rules, points, releases. Give that it's own threat. I debated a bit about writing what brought this on, in the end I decided to put it in the spoiler tag as that's also not the most postive. 

Here I want to hear what you are excited about; what you are passionately painting or eagerly awaiting! What gems you have in your pile of potential or how you're growing that pile exponential. Maybe you're meticulously building something as instructed or converting something never before seen, and I want to hear about it all.

Let's get some creative juices flowing.  

Spoiler

I don't know what it is. Maybe people are getting worn down by the pandemic. Maybe Im getting worn down by the pandemic. Maybe life is bad allround. But everybody should be doing this hobby for fun. This should be where some passion is, that one thing that's the most important thing in the world, yet absolutely insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Basically it should be a hobby. 

But not having played in a month, the Netherlands upped their restrictions, this forum is a big part of where i'm inspired and get excited about the hobby. But the last few weeks seemingly every conversation here that kept going past a few comments where complaints. And I don't mind the critical side of it. That's good and important in its own right. But every single thread went to a point where I was looking at the comments thinking, why bother? Why, if things are really that bad, bother with the hobby. Again if that's how you enjoy the hobby, or feel the need to discuss something this should definitely be the forum as well. But the balance between positive and negative was gone.

Life in general, and hobby in specific, gets better when you focus on the positives. Not ignoring the negatives, but focussing on the positives. But I personally need to see and read about it here, as currently there is very little hobby nor games going on in my friend group. Haven't picked up a brush in over 20 days.  So help a brother out and share your exciting hobby.

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 26

I for one am very excited about painting more Sons of Behemat and Slaves to Darkness. I want to build a narrative around them through playing games (when that happens) and look forward to AoS's version of Crusade when the new edition comes out.

And then, the new vampires look amazing...

Painting absolutely helps me through the tougher times. 

• Like 3

Various issues are bogging me down, there's bad all around, and it's only the tip of an iceberg of things yet to come.

I have 5 stone guard with picks that need some minor layers of undercoat. The problem of how to paint them (technique and colour pallet) is proving to be quite frustrating, especially since weekends (Sundays) are the only time when I can get something done. The bases are another thing as I'll need to make some experiments and see how much I'll like it.  I'll likely build my elven force around the stone guard, I have 10 more in the mail, I'll need 5 more for a total of 20, unless the blade masters can be taken as battle line as well. I've picked up the Sentinels and Cathallar as well, mostly because the hobby inventory is getting harder to get. I am looking forward to the expanding line of the new lumineth heroes, units and plot progression. Hopefully Teclis will accomplish what he set out to do, and it's not going to be a combination of various bad timings that will make it an overall an anticlimactic act.

The other project is looking for high elves models that I could use for Frost grave or Kings of War. Seems "wood" and "dark" variants are dominant but there's only a few "high" elves on the market.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 1

Apologies if my posts have contributed of late. 

When I get going I'm enjoying working on my Warriors of Chaos and City. I've been trying to reinforce in my mind why I have the armies I do and keep working on them.

I don't know what it is but "the new army" idea always dominates my imagination. I love all the armies I have but for whatever reason I struggle to keep my mind focused on them instead of daydreaming about some new faction or game.

So it's been a really good week reading fiction I've missed from each, writing more background for Karak Cythral and painting more again.

• Like 1

I love warhammer, It’s honestly a massive part of my life I’ve been on and off painting for 4 years or so but I got my own place in July with my partner and got my own hobby space and since I have been trying to do a bit each day. I’ve never even played a game before and now have almost finished painting my second army, with a sizeable backlog still to paint 😂 this is the way of course.

I’ve just invested in a Lumineth army in preparation for the new releases that I’m so hyped for. I love the wacky direction it’s going.

I suffer with depression and anxiety badly and the pandemic hasn’t helped but I’ve actually been in a better headspace since consistently doing a bit of the hobby each week. I cannot wait for the store to open back up for matches so I can finally learn to play.

• Like 2

I totally get why you made this thread. Having a lot of interactions about your hobby be about how it sucks and why you shouldn't enjoy it is just exhausting. It's good to keep in mind that criticism often comes from a place of caring. At least I know that when I talk about stuff that could be better, it's because I already love what's there.

I am pretty excited about the near future after the recent previews. Since I realized Lumineth are their own, new, weird thing and not just High Elves again I find them a lot more attractive. The Soulblight Underworlds is a great example of how good the sculpting quality has become recently. Every single model in that is a hit for me. And Cursed City is probably the most excited I have been recently about a release. A self-contained game with a cool theme that will probably lead into an army I want to build (Soulblight) just seems perfect for me.

Until then, I am working on a Kharadron Gunhauler for Tempest's Eye which I am converting to be more Freeguild flavoured. Compared to the Steam Tank, that kit goes together super simply. There really have been a lot of advancements made in kit design. After that, I have around 20 plastic Tomb Kings Tomb Guard waiting to be painted. Probably my favourite Skeleton kit by looks, but I have kind of been putting them off because of all the jangly bits on them. That's actually what has stopped me from getting into Lumineth as well: They look phantastic, but I can't be dealing with all those jewels and baubles.

• Like 2

I am so looking forward to seeing Cursed City! It looks incredible already. When my gaming group finished Silver Tower I started painting Shadows over Hammerhal but after getting the heroes and a few adversaries done I was starting to miss AoS. Last year I finished a Path to Glory Cities of Sigmar army and am now working on a Ogor Mawtribes Skirmish warband (See below for my first finished model).

After finishing this project I think I will switch to doing some additional heroes for use in Warhammer Quest. Who knows, I may be able to run them in Cursed City?

I am really loving painting at the moment, having a ball with it really. Hope my very sincere positiveness is a help @Kramer! :) 

IMG_0816.jpeg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 1

Great idea for a topic.

I’m of course super excited about BR Teclis and the second wave of Lumineth. I already loved the first wave, it’s as if GW was in my brain and built an army for me. And the second wave includes a re-imagination of some my favorite models from Fantasy. My whole Saphery army is going to be back. 🤩

Just today I assembled a new home for my Lumineth in preparation for the next wave. 

Besides that, having come late to AoS, I really love the lore. I’ve bought every Soulbound book they’ve released so far, all the core books and many of the battletomes. The animations and campaign book for Broken Realms have been fantastic so far. Morathi taking Anvilgard, Teclis invading Shyish, anything seems possible. 

And the new model lines they are bringing out are just bonkers. So much fun. Gargants stomping around on the battlefield, that new palanquin for the Hedonites, and probably within the year something fantastic for the new vampires. 

Besides that, I find the hobby part very satisfying. It’s fun and relaxing to do, and people are really nice and supportive. 💛

1FC69E16-B124-47C2-8DBF-3AB3E0ACE9A6.jpeg

• Like 9

Recently completed my Leviadon. I have some Ishlean Guard, an Akhelian King and a second Allopex left to do, but I’m taking a break to put paint some Eldar so I can play Crusade with my partner and son (all from the grey pile).

Looking forward to June and the Deepkin  Underworlds Warband, which coincide with my birthday! The Warbands include some great figures and I’m really excited to see what the Deepkin one is like. 

ED177C11-A03A-4D64-B90F-BD9859D5CA34.jpeg

• Like 6

Currently I’m working on my thousand sons army.

3808302E-36DA-4624-8A84-ECF5890F4DE2.jpeg.4bb973b9d703c30247d3e3fb5bc3a49a.jpegC20B723F-DDF4-4F3C-864E-81508F4596AB.jpeg.2fb04961b1e83ee6c66e0d991679cbc1.jpegE1D86E7C-A2C1-4634-984B-8FA013AFAB69.jpeg.0c8f900ff61f76455ae579d5ee65ef68.jpeg
as soon as I’m finished with my 40k army project, I’ll very likely be taking some time on my vastest and most precious of collection.

Still gotta paint a few hundreds of clanrats, plague monks and stormvermin.

Thankfully I actually enjoy painting them a lot, (except plague monks, really hate painting theses guys)

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread @kramer. I feel the same about the negativity, that seems to grow. Between the toxicity about the faqs and every cool new mini getting a lot of responses in the vein of ‘but what about my army that needs cool models’ I can really use some happy thoughts. I agree it is valid to be critical, but it looks like the criticism is getting the upper hand over the joy the hobby brings. Like you I’m in the Netherlands under lockdown. And as an art teacher having to work from behind a screen is not much fun...

I’m still excited about the upcoming Slaaneshi release, planning g to do a small force with some really bright colors. The vampire quest game also seems awesome, and I’ll probably get it when it comes out. 

I find small painting projects like a warband for underworlds or a single model keeps me very entertained. Besides that I’m also enjoying sculpting scenery and models for 3D printing.

in the previous lockdown I entered several online painting/converting contests (one here on tga). That was a lot of fun.
Does anyone know about online painting competitions right now? Maybe we should have one on tga again. Even without prices. 

• Like 6

Gordrakk is going to siege Azyr and death has its first proper release since Nighthaunt on the horizon and Bonesplitterz are getting their first new models ever since AoS launched!

The new Warhammer Quest is going to be epic and my highly converted Gloomspite Gitz horde is moving along at a steady pace! 180 custom grots staring back atcha is glorious indeed!!

These are the things currently putting a smile across my hobby face. 👍😃

Wow, this is exactly what I needed as wel.  

what gets me exited at the moment is learning new skills, I recently picked up an airbrush, but I am also trying to level up my drybrushing and detail work. The idea of stepping out of my comfort zone and learn something new or try something really has been a turning point these last few weeks.

So - to set the tone for how much I love this hobby - I have eight armies.

Stormcast (by far the largest collection and tied for my favorite army), Cities of Sigmar (all aelves, mostly Wanderers with some Phoenix Guard and Shadowblades), Lumineth (the other faction tied for favorite), Beasts of Chaos, Tzeentch, Ironjawz, Bonesplitterz, and Ossiarch Bonereapers.

I've painted at least 1,000 points of everything except my Boneslitterz, and most of them have around 2,000 points. I've really enjoyed the process of choosing a paint scheme for each army, trying it out, refining it, and building up a playable force.

Between work and life I don't have a ton of time to hobby, but I can usually manage one good day a week that can be set aside for assembly or painting. I've recently been on a kick of painting up some of the bigger centerpiece models. I just finished my second Stardrake (a spear-wielding templar atop a green dragon with a converted troglodon head to capture a slightly more classic draconic look), I'm currently mostly done with an Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix, and I'm thinking of tackling the Celestant Prime next!

The upcoming release of BR: Teclis and the second wave of Lumineth has me ecstatic! I honestly thought I'd have to wait at least a couple of years before I saw the range expanded, and getting more generic heroes, the blademasters, and the Fox spirit all in the same release surpasses my wildest hopes.

The possibility that we might get a third edition - and with it an update to the SCE Battletome - has me equally excited.

Heck, the future of the hobby in general has me excited! The quality of the models they've been coming out with is jaw-dropping. I have zero interest in Hedonites of Slaanesh, but damn if those new models aren't gorgeous! I may very well pick up some just to have and paint! If this kind of quality is the future of the hobby, boy are we all in for a treat!

What little has been revealed of the new vampire line is equally tantalizing. I'll have too wait until the full range is released to make my decision, but there's a very good chance they'll become my second Death faction. Even if they don't, I'm probably still going to pick up some of the models.

I originally thought to give the new WH Quest a pass, but I showed it to my brother and he fell in love with the models revealed. Tried to get him into Seraphon a while back (dinosaurs are his jam) but he isn't into the hobbying or the competitive side of the game. However, a smaller cooperative game that we can play together with creepy undead themes is right up his alley, and now I can't wait for the release!

• Like 4

My 5 yo is turning 6 and he picked a seraphon start collecting for his birthday and yesterday we spent 2 hours building a spinosaurus who is now named SPINEY and we don't know what color to paint him yet but we are already battling dad's bird guy (tzeentch greater demon) and now we need magic so we're putting a little lizard magic guy on top of SPINEY and hey we should make some more little guys to help!

*Pause for breath*

*This is how we talk in real life too 🤣*

Edited by Ggom
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5
  • LOVE IT! 2

What currently makes me happy about the hobby has less to do with GW (not their fault though!) and more with my own projects.... I always wanted to have really cool terrain and finally I find the time to build just that (Corona had me work way more instead of less like many others). So yeah, huge hills and swamps scatter terrain, here we go! I've attached one wip shot of one of my hills as not to clutter this thread but I'm working on 3 pieces at the moment. Will take some more time though as I'm currently only half way done with them....

I also started to sculpt my beloved leader (based on a design I did with 13... (the helmet is eerily similar to Overwatch's LuBu Reaper, to a point that it feels like they've stolen it xD I back then mashed up all the helmets I loved as a kid for it (Soundwave, Shredder, Cobra Commander) but I'm not sure if I'll continue doing it traditionally or just get it done in 3d.... too bad I'm a terrible 3d modeler, maybe I'll just do some sketches and hire someone.... or learn it properly cause soon the quality will be just as good as plastic minis... 

F23240AD-6F9D-44D6-AD81-8066503D0C5D.JPG

• Like 4

Positivity In My Life: This is perfect timing as I was just recently drafting a paper on the topic of appreciative criticism as a possible curative for toxicity within critical spheres (I had to put it on the back burner for an essay on Soviet Montage theory that I am hoping to publish). I work in the arts in both live theatre and film and I have seen many times how negativity can deflate a production and positivity can immediately create buzz. It is always disheartening to have someone go out of their way to tell me that they had a bad experience at a show and it is the greatest of joys to hear that someone enjoyed themselves. As such I always try to frame myself as an ambassador to the arts, I will respect people's negative critiques but I always try to reframe the criticism in a manner that permits some degree of appreciation. However, I truly enjoy some good snark and sarcasm so long as it isn't designed to put down the labour of the artists or the tastes of their fellow audience members. The best snark I heard was an audience member spraining their ankle and saying the emergency room would be more entertaining than the show. Sadly this pandemic has drastically affected my industry, but I am also enjoying the free time to work on various projects including my hobby and I am very excited about the vaccine bringing about a return to something that looks close to normalcy. I also have recently been contacted by a friend about starting a production studio which is an exciting albeit daunting concept. So in terms of a main takeaway, it has been a very difficult year but the vaccine and some personal opportunities have brought about a lot of personal hope. I am greatly looking forward to seeing friends, family and going back to work and I am excited to continue my efforts in supporting the arts. Now after that long winded and slightly egocentric introduction I will express some of the things that I consider positive about this hobby and community.

Upcoming Releases: Between the upcoming updates to Lumineth, Death and Slaanesh, I am really excited about all of the announced releases that are currently in the works. I think that there is some concern over the recent ubiquity of Aelves within the focus of GW's releases, but I personally think that they are trying to untangle what has in essence been a somewhat confusing and outstanding portion of the lore that has needed some form of resolution since the launch of AOS. Death had a similar big push towards the beginning of the current edition and has now been brought to a great place narratively. Therefore I find the concentrated focus on Aelven lore and narrative reassuring, as it will no longer be strung out for a number of years. Furthermore, it makes me hopeful that the next edition will allow for a similar focus on other factions. I hope that Broken Realms culminates in the release of Malerion as then we can have all the major Aelven players on the board. Then as we enter into 3rd edition hopefully with the Siege of Azyr there will be a renewed focus on Destruction and the Non-Aelven forces of Order. I am also somewhat excited about the Old World even if I do not get into it for financial reasons or due to scale it is still exciting to see a return to that setting and for a number of fans to get their dream projects. 

Rules and Gameplay: Alongside price this seems to be the most contentious point of the hobby so I will be brief. I am personally ecstatic that we get regular updates and points adjustments as when I played Fantasy in 6th edition it often felt like after an army's release you'd be left to fend for yourself in a shifting and more complex and dense wilderness. Now we even have support for creating narrative style play and that is amazing. I have never enjoyed the gaming side of the hobby this much. 

Community: I am glad that I found this community and that it has been a really nice outlet during the pandemic. There is a high degree of camaraderie and support on these forums. I cannot imagine such a silly and fun meme such as Critters and Keys developing such a following anywhere else.  I see such support and love for the hobby and a deep respect for one another. I have seen a few topics get a little heated but there is typically some degree of respect and social contract upheld and great work from the moderation team. I am someone that suffers from some intense anxiety issues and the respectful discourse on this forum has actually helped me loosen up in regards to having an online presence, which has been particularly healthy amidst the pandemic. I think it also helped as an outlet for discussing the hobby in a way that doesn't make my partner want to melt my army. Furthermore, much of the support I have had regarding my posts inspired me to return to writing essays as I felt fairly self-conscious after doing my masters and somewhat turned my back on academia and criticism for the last few years. Also, I am always blown away, inspired and in awe of the amazing work of the hobbyists on this forum. 
As for my own personal community I was able to convince a few friends to join the hobby and they come from a variety of walks of life and it has been really amazing to see their growth and interests develop within the hobby. As I mentioned my anxiety issues it has really helped me keep in touch with a small group of friends and also gives me an excuse to reach out. Saying to a friend, "hey, did you see this cool new Slaanesh preview... by the way how are things going?" makes reaching out much easier for me. It has been very rewarding and encouraging in terms of the hobby as I just sent a picture of my recently painted Warshrine to my friend who is a much better hobby and his compliments really made my day. I find a number of people ask me for tips despite the fact that I typically prefer their painting to my own. 

Personal Hobby Projects: I am polishing off my 2000pts Slaves to Darkness army just having to complete building a few Warcry models and paint them and a few outstanding models. I also have just recently come into the possession of a 2000 point Beast Claw raider army and I am looking forward to starting that up as it will be a quicker turn around and has a number of my favourite models. I am looking forward to starting up a new project but I am somewhat split between expanding upon Chaos or starting an Order army. I could go with the Tzeentch Battleforce, Wrath and Rapture or Shadow and Pain. But I am also interested in getting an Order army to offset the amount of vicious killers I have on my shelf. I am torn between Kharadron Overlords and Luminth as I love elite armies and they both have a nice heroic aesthetic as opposed to my personal favourite Order faction DOK. So I am somewhat spoiled for choice but I will probably drag my feet until I am left with no choice but that might be better for my bank account and back log.

Overall: Things have been rough the world over and I am grateful that we have helped create a positive community that can help support one another in this fun hobby. Thank you everyone for the great topics and discussions as they have made a difficult time much better and more jovial than they would be otherwise. Also I apologize for my long winded post and for any stupid posts I have posted in the past which is probably the vast majority of them.

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 12
  • LOVE IT! 3

17 minutes ago, Neverchosen said:

Also, lets not forget the most positive aspect of our hobby... @KingBrodd actually owns an actual Gargant Army supported by rules and models!

Mate I loved your post previous to this and yet again I thank you for your kind words on this forum, you've also been a great help to me with my own anxiety.

You are honestly the first reason I decided to stick to this forum, your kind words and shared excitement of not just the Sons but the opportunities and future of this hobby were so enrapturing it almost feels like a placebo when I see your name in notifications. A true brother in the Realms we call life. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

4 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

So - to set the tone for how much I love this hobby - I have eight armies.

[...]

Between work and life I don't have a ton of time to hobby, but I can usually manage one good day a week that can be set aside for assembly or painting.

Enlighten me, oh master! I do 1h a day most days but I am nowhere near that.

1 hour ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Didn't know we are doing pictures. Here's my latest guys (skeleton for scale):

image.png.2e39c3c40249797420852d8773eb1102.png

I feel pretty good about my painting these days. My models are finally turning out like I imagine them.

And you should! The models look very clean and vibrant, I am jelous.  I am currently at that stage in which picture them to be better than they finally turn out to be :P

Also, tips on how you handled that battle damaged shield?