Castigators....worth taking or convert to Judicators?

Lord Krungharr

Castigators are very underwhelming. I think most people would agree that they're the most disappointing unit from the Sacrosanct range.

In answer to your question, I'd say that you're better off converting them into Judicators, with the caveat that if we receive an update to SCE over the summer, their desirability could change significantly.

• Like 2

castigators can be great if you use them with the soulstrike battalion. Max them out and bring the pain when you drop them from the sky. I would argue that castigators and judicators are both pretty bad but against certan meta the castigators rend can be great!.  For competative try to skip both in favor for longstrike raptors. a unit of 9 longstrikes plays soo well as a shooting unit compared to anything els we got.

• Like 2

Soulstrike makes them okay but the hobby investment is huge for a one trick pony.

Castigators are hard to justify unless you have exactly 70pts left and can use an off the side objective grabber (and even then: take aetherwings and a chance at a triumph, fool!)

Only time their shooting is ever worth a thing is against daemons/NH when they get extra hits. If they always had that rule on they might do decently. But they don't, so yeah, Judicators.

5 hours ago, Juicy said:

castigators can be great if you use them with the soulstrike battalion. Max them out and bring the pain when you drop them from the sky. 

Well, that. I'll also note that they are almost comparable in melee to vanguard hunters, though ya seriously hope AOS 3.0 gives them a better niche.

If they could be some sort of conditional battleline though, they'd been popular. 

Thanks for the inputs!  I rather like altering Stormcast, they didn't make it easy but it's rewarding since most of the time they always look the same.  

Guess I can just proxy them as Judicators for the time being....plenty of other hobby work to do for now.  But I did pick up 3 longstrike Vanguard Raptors w 3 Aetherwings.  

My nr1 rule with sce is dont believe the internet;)  some units like gryphounds that absolutly suck if you ask any one on the web are pretty decent on the table. They just need -20 points and we be al over them.  Aos stathammer is a nice to to use for damage output units like judicators and/castigators to see that damage. Because both are underperforming right now outside there battleline pick/specific rule. Just try both versions with or without the battalions and see what you like about them and dont.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2021 at 9:58 AM, Lord Krungharr said:

Thanks for the inputs!  I rather like altering Stormcast, they didn't make it easy but it's rewarding since most of the time they always look the same.  

Guess I can just proxy them as Judicators for the time being....plenty of other hobby work to do for now.  But I did pick up 3 longstrike Vanguard Raptors w 3 Aetherwings.  

I basically cut the bows of 3 of the castigators, trimmed them and took the hurricane crossbow bits to fit. Instant hurricane crossbow raptors.

How did you end up with 7 Castigators btw? Soulwars has 5, castigator boxes have 3, so 7 is a weird number to have. 

Edited by Evantas
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Evantas said:

I basically cut the bows of 3 of the castigators, trimmed them and took the hurricane crossbow bits to fit. Instant hurricane crossbow raptors.

How did you end up with 7 Castigators btw? Soulwars has 5, castigator boxes have 3, so 7 is a weird number to have. 

I picked up a bunch of Stormcast guys at my FLGS on sale; since there was no Adepticon for 2 years straight they had nowhere to put all their 2nd hand models.  SCORE!  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been mathhammering, 2 units of 3 castigators can do a little more damage than judicators for the same cost and have better melee profiles. 

Vs 4+ targets, with the Stormkeep Patrol, there's actually an option for them to shoot+charge, and they seem to be comparable to vanguard hunters and actually fare a little bit better vs high save targets. 

Not enough to be competitive (nothing except 1-drop vanguard is nowadays), but it's interesting for trying new styles while waiting for 3.0. 

Edited by Evantas

On 1/30/2021 at 8:58 PM, Lord Krungharr said:

proxy proxy proxy!! I would always shy away from converting Stormcast between battlelines--just agree with your opponent that the Castigators are judis. The unit sizes are different as well, its 3/6 castigators and 5/10 judis which is another reason not to convert them.

for example, I have sequitors that i can just call liberators, no one will argue because i'm choosing the worse battleline :P

1 hour ago, CommissarRotke said:

proxy proxy proxy!! I would always shy away from converting Stormcast between battlelines--just agree with your opponent that the Castigators are judis. The unit sizes are different as well, its 3/6 castigators and 5/10 judis which is another reason not to convert them.

for example, I have sequitors that i can just call liberators, no one will argue because i'm choosing the worse battleline :P

Fine for friendly games. But when you want to go to a tournament you often need wysiwyg.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

also true,  but OP didnt mention wanting to build for comp

Don't think it's a huge problem either way anyway.

Conversion is really just changing the front end of the weapon, and possibly a head swap away if you are using them as Crossbow Judicators / Hurricane Raptors, the back end of the weapons (crossbow) for all 3 are identical. 

So far most game stores I've been in have been cool as long as some effort was made. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

also true,  but OP didnt mention wanting to build for comp

Yeah true, I just want to make OP aware because when you put a lot of effort in your models with painting etc its a damn sad feeling if you thought you could proxy stuff. If you want judicators either convert them well or buy them would be my advice.. Before you spend a lot of time painting it. At first a lot of people think that tournaments are not for them untill they been at one and had a great experience.  :)

• Like 1

Wow I just looked at the crossbows Judicators can take, and those huge!  Like heavy bolters from 40k.  In fact those with some goblin bow parts could make a good conversion.  I don't mind using proxies but they confused me in the past sometimes (even when I use them).  Modeling is my favorite part anyways :D  Painting, not so much.  Luckily there's the gold primer and Reikland Fleshshade, and some pauldron colors.  DONE