Warhammer Quest: Ulfenkarn

Sharkbelly

I watched Ash from Guerrilla Miniatures Games Lets Play video of Warhammer Quest Cursed City last night and it was cool to see a scenario play through. Covered a lot of the game mechanics as well as some of the  abilities of four of the heroes. I'm even more excited about playing it myself now and the basic rules are simple enough that it will be easy to get my nephews involved.

Word of warning for anyone watching it, he plays one of the crisis events so if you'd rather not see one of those before playing yourself you may want to avoid it. Other than that though it's a good watch.

Steve

Happened to snatch two copies, absolutely am not a scalper. Wife’s a total geek and was worried our FLG might not have enough. Now I’m sitting on fence about doubling up the skele / zombie units, and selling off all the other stuff piecemeal or selling the whole thing. If anyone is super pissed about missing out on a copy, message me with an offer and ill prob sell it. 

On 4/3/2021 at 6:06 PM, Moogypies said:

Looking at Tyler Mengels posts on facebooks, skeletons/zombies on 25mm for sure and death characters on 40mm.

From box pictures, Skeleton leaderman 32mm, Vagskyryryr 50mm, Bats 25mm, rats 32mm, 3 wolfpires 32mm, heroes 32mm except the ogor at 40

Thanks, for some reason I thought skeletons were on the new 28mm.

So i watched the playthrough videos from Guerrilla Miniature Games (nice work from Ash) but was a bit worried about the difficulty (like BSF).

Details in Spoiler section:

Spoiler

As far as i understand, the "smaller" villains like Halgrim, the Gravekeeper and the vamps can show up in normal missions at any time (and buff the minions), that's cool.
But it's sad to see, that they're wiped off, from a lvl 0 Hero with 2-3 Weapon actions, same with the nightguard ogres.
Think the critical damage of the weapons are realy high.

My first impression is, that a swarm minions e.g. 3 zombies + 3 ulfenwatch is more dangerous then this villains.

But maybe it was just luck, will find out our self in some days :)

Edit: it looks like, as the game itself allow to adapt the difficulty a bit (maybe not intentionally). E.g. in the hunt missions, your job is to kill champions (like ulfenwatch leader, dire bats, Halgrim andso on). 

By deploying the enemy groups the card of ulfenwatch, says something like "Group of ulfenwatch can have a champion and a banner. If the group is 4 or more you had to place a champion and banner." -> so this means, if you only get 2 ulfenwatch
and you place (your choice) a champion, it become easier to kill this champion. So the "kill x champions" will be faster done, before night time and you succeed.

Edited by FireAbend

In this summary of his playtime so far, he said the difficulty scales depending on your level, and later on because larger mobs of enemies spawn, they take longer to kill which means night falls. He contrasted this with BSF (which I haven't played) where he felt it starts out brutal because you're underequipped and ends up trivially easy because you have everything you need and nothing can touch you

You are apparently gated from fighting the very highest level guys in CC by level, which he was worried would lead to repetitive grind, and had suggested some house rules to reduce that around fear and influence levels - I don't understand what that is yet though!

From the videos released it does seem that this game is really quite easy, players seem to be cutting through monsters with little chance for them to fight back. I’m curious about how much of a difference it would make if you did each mission with two characters instead of four - almost halting the number of activations you get would presumably up the difficulty quite a lot. You could maybe increase your heroes’ item carry capacity to compensate for the smaller party size. 

3 hours ago, Adamcbutton said:

From the videos released it does seem that this game is really quite easy, players seem to be cutting through monsters with little chance for them to fight back. I’m curious about how much of a difference it would make if you did each mission with two characters instead of four - almost halting the number of activations you get would presumably up the difficulty quite a lot. You could maybe increase your heroes’ item carry capacity to compensate for the smaller party size. 

Man I hope that you are wrong on this one.
The easy difficulty was what killed Silvertower for me. Though we recently picked it up again and houseruled a bunch of stuff to make it harder, that really helped a lot and breathed new lide into it..

Had a game last night, have a couple of questions if anyone has a second to answer:

Did the mission it recommends to start (Hunt?). Are enemy mobs supposed to respawn once you kill them? Until you kill 10 of the high power groups?

Do you carry over inspiration between missions?

Does everyone have to extract from the same zone?

We killed Goreslav and Halgrin - do we have to do anything with the tombstones on the influence card?

Cheers!!

First game done.

So much potential for fun, but I really do feel a lot was missed.

1. How do you keep track of which enemy groups are tied to which card?

2. How do you mark where the mysteries are?

3. Index?

4. No, really. Index?

5. What is a gambit? Like, what does it do? Where is the definition of what a gambit is?

Edited by Sleboda

22 hours ago, 5kaven5lave said:

Had a game last night, have a couple of questions if anyone has a second to answer:

Did the mission it recommends to start (Hunt?). Are enemy mobs supposed to respawn once you kill them? Until you kill 10 of the high power groups?

Do you carry over inspiration between missions?

Does everyone have to extract from the same zone?

I got two games in with some friends last night and we spent some time on these questions too. We interpreted it as the following:

1. When you finish off a group of mobs (say 3 Bats) or they are driven off, you discard their Encounter Card, draw a new one and place it face down (!) where the Bat card was - lets say this is hostile group 2. When hostile group 2 is activated the next time, you turn the new Encounter Card face up, and mobs listed on that card spawn from the Lychgate furthest from the players.

2. No, see "aftermatch": Inspiration is meant to be used during the game and is not carried over.

3. That's how we played it atleast, essentially there should be only one place where the dropship can pick you up right? In our first game we were literally being chased into the dropzone with zombies and skeletons hot on our heels!

We played two Hunt missions to keep it simple (two players were pretty new to the Warhammer hobby in general) but had tons of fun. Things can seem like smooth sailing while you're swatting bats, but then a Kosargi spawns while Brutogg is on the other side of the map and those distant Ulfenwatch suddenly Danse Macabre right into your face.  And then Brutogg gets buried over there. ******!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:26 AM, Greasygeek said:

Man I hope that you are wrong on this one.
The easy difficulty was what killed Silvertower for me. Though we recently picked it up again and houseruled a bunch of stuff to make it harder, that really helped a lot and breathed new lide into it..

From memory, Silver Tower also had a ‘glitch’ where you could randomly end up playing the final boss mission as your first adventure..

2 hours ago, Sleboda said:

First game done.

So much potential for fun, but I really do feel a lot was missed.

1. How do you keep track of which enemy groups are tied to which card?

2. How do you mark where the mysteries are?

3. Index?

4. No, really. Index?

5. What is a gambit? Like, what does it do? Where is the definition of what a gambit is?

1. There’s numbered tokens (why they go up to 5 when there’s only 4 hostile groups I do not know)

2. There’s 4? Mysterious Objects models on the spures 

5. Gambit let’s you spend a activation dice (not a destiny dice though) to try and swap your initiative order with a hostile group in front of or behind you on the initiative track (you roll Agility and look up the results on a chart I believe)

Is there a way to revive a fallen hero of the group? I know that he is probably not dead for the next quest if he rollen anything higher than a 1 with the questdice after the game, but i thought there might be a way to revive him during the game. In my first game together with a friend, one hero died not long after the start of the game. It was not so much a problem as we both played two heroes, but if we were four people, one player had to be in "spectator-mode" for the rest of the evening. 

44 minutes ago, Bombort said:

Is there a way to revive a fallen hero of the group? I know that he is probably not dead for the next quest if he rollen anything higher than a 1 with the questdice after the game, but i thought there might be a way to revive him during the game. In my first game together with a friend, one hero died not long after the start of the game. It was not so much a problem as we both played two heroes, but if we were four people, one player had to be in "spectator-mode" for the rest of the evening. 

One of the end of turn event table results let’s you revive a fallen hero.

• Thanks 1

I have one question regarding small enemies. Maybe my German copy of the game did a weird translation. Do i need to put a small enemie always onto a field with another small enemy?

the rulebook in german says something like this at one point: "small enemies CAN end their move with another small enemie in the same field".

At another point it says "small enemies MUST always end their movement beside a heroe if possible and another small enemie"

56 minutes ago, Huanchi said:

I have one question regarding small enemies. Maybe my German copy of the game did a weird translation. Do i need to put a small enemie always onto a field with another small enemy?

the rulebook in german says something like this at one point: "small enemies CAN end their move with another small enemie in the same field".

At another point it says "small enemies MUST always end their movement beside a heroe if possible and another small enemie"

It‘s a can not a must.

I am a bit confused about the movement if an enemy is adjacent. Could s.o. Explain? The German of CC is a bit wonky at times. :)

Edited by JackStreicher

2 minutes ago, JackStreicher said:

It‘s a can not a must.

I am a bit confused about the movement if an enemy is adjacent. Could s.o. Explain? The German of CC is a bit wonky at times. :)

german rule book page 29. top right . second paragrahp. 

"Kleine Feinde beenden ihre Bewegung immer einem Helden benachbart und im selben Feld wie ein anderer kleiner Feind, wenn möglich"

If i translate that to english:

"Small Enemies end their movement ALWAYS adjacent to a Hero and in the same field as another small enemie, if possible"

thats why i was confused myself because on page 25 it says in German "..mit der Ausnahme das kleiner Feind seine bewegung beenden kann, in dem sich ein einzender anderer kleiner Feind befindet"

Which means in English "... with the exception that a small enemy CAN end its movement in a field which is occupied by another small enemy.

2 hours ago, Huanchi said:

german rule book page 29. top right . second paragrahp. 

"Kleine Feinde beenden ihre Bewegung immer einem Helden benachbart und im selben Feld wie ein anderer kleiner Feind, wenn möglich"

If i translate that to english:

"Small Enemies end their movement ALWAYS adjacent to a Hero and in the same field as another small enemie, if possible"

thats why i was confused myself because on page 25 it says in German "..mit der Ausnahme das kleiner Feind seine bewegung beenden kann, in dem sich ein einzender anderer kleiner Feind befindet"

Which means in English "... with the exception that a small enemy CAN end its movement in a field which is occupied by another small enemy.

🤔 true. Didn‘t see that part. They basically want you to stack the little ones first in order to block less fields with them. If you do not play it like that you put the players at a handicap ^^

Your translation is pretty much verbatim from the English rules. Small hostiles always end their move in an adjacent square to a hero. If there is a square that contains another small hostile already adjacent to a hero, they must move in to share that square with the small hostile rather than move into any empty square or attack any other hero.

In the example picture on p29 you can see that Darrock is already surrounded on all sides by squares full of two zombies (which count as small) so the bat swarm can not attack him even though he is closest. It also can't attack Glaurio, who has no enemies adjacent to him at all. It must attack Glimscry, who has a zombie adjacent to him, and it must move into the same space already occupied by the zombie.

If you needed to place another small enemy after that, it could occupy an empty square next to a hero, because all the other small enemies are now occupying full squares.

• Thanks 2