Warhammer Quest: Ulfenkarn

Sharkbelly

20 hours ago, Sharkbelly said:

Torgillius the Chamberlain!

Jo3dZDPFGRCtTKRy.jpg

I said this in another thread, but for now it really looks like the Cursed City villains are hitting all the classic Vampire Counts staple units that have not yet found a home in other Death armies.

Gorslav has zombies (Deadwalkers)

Halgrim has skeletons (Deathrattle)

Torgillius has animal minions

And between the kneeling long-haired guy and the Wolf, I think we will be seeing vampires (Soulblight) and newly introduce werewolves.

I hope this is a sign of the subfactions we are going to find in Gravelords.

27 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

Yes. I wonder if this will represent some kind of in-game mechanic, such as the heroes having to collect the right keys to get into the castle...

That would be my guess.

Encouraging you to go to each district of the city first.

There could also be some to upgrade your equipment. Bonus keys to armoury or treasure chests.

1 hour ago, Sharkbelly said:

Yes. I wonder if this will represent some kind of in-game mechanic, such as the heroes having to collect the right keys to get into the castle...

It really would make sense, given that Torgillius is the chamberlain, that is: The guy in charge of all the keys of a noble household. Since that's his day job, I guess cruel experiments to attain knowledge not meant for man to know are just a hobby of his.

I too am excited! I really didn't expect them to drop this much info so soon!

There's a few more closeups of miniatures on the preview post: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/02/20/warhammer-preview-online-lords-of-the-mortal-realms/

Looking at the components, it seems like a pretty straight port of the Blackstone mechanics to Fantasy. The only major difference appears to be they kept the square grid (that hold 1 mini) maps instead of using hex grids (that can hold 2-3 minis). There also appears to be some kind of track around the destiny dice holder that might be for gaining experience (like previous fantasy warhammer quests ... unlike blackstone that doesn't have the concept). I'm also not seeing anything like the ship abilities you get with blackstone. And there's also that Ulfenkarn in Peril card that seems to be tracking Fear and Influence...

• Like 1

Looking at the tiles they seem to be two sided (not unexpected), with one side being cobblestone in the look of streets and others looking like rooms. So maybe a combination of city exploring with buildings and maybe the option to make internal dungeons (or other interesting outdoor dungeons) You could combine this with other sets (hammerhal in particular) and make some quite interesting maps. 😀

One possible gripe with the set and There does seem to be a limited number of basic adversaries - skeletons, zombies, bats, rats, - with some bigger mobs thrown in so it could get repetitive if it’s a long grinding game. However, the diversity may not be an issue, games like Nemesis and Zombicide manage with a similar number of basic adversaries coupled with interesting ways for rules to interact keeping it fresh. Adversary cards expansion would also help a lot.

On 25/01/2021 at 4:45 AM, Sharkbelly said:

BSF had expansions so I'm hoping over the life of this it will as well.

A second large adverseries box would be most preferable.

Or a small expansion per district would be great. One new lord and a couple of minion types. A nighthaunt box,  a FEC court one. Really help bulk out the range of death.

A mortal shyish one would be fantastic. Live the snippets in the lore about shyish mortal literally fighting alongside their ancestors!

25 minutes ago, Candlelight said:

What price tag should I expect? I'm worried GW is going to milk it as much as they can. I expect at least $200 and that's a big no for me and our group.

It’s 60 minis or so plus card stock etc. Thinking BSF was £95 Gw price I would think at least that but maybe more like £120 which puts it in the same bracket as eg Nemesis, Eclipse, Gloomhaven and Fosthaven

Edited by Praecautus

5 hours ago, CDM said:

BSF had expansions so I'm hoping over the life of this it will as well.

A second large adverseries box would be most preferable.

Or a small expansion per district would be great. One new lord and a couple of minion types. A nighthaunt box,  a FEC court one. Really help bulk out the range of death.

A mortal shyish one would be fantastic. Live the snippets in the lore about shyish mortal literally fighting alongside their ancestors!

All of these sound cool. I would love to be able to use more undead models too, like perhaps the Corpse Cart. Or Fenrisian Wolves!

Edited by Sharkbelly

Probably doesn't mean anything, but by my quick count ... they've shown us 36 adversary miniatures and the promo material says there's 42 in the box. You probably get repeats of the rats and the bats ... but here's hoping for something more!

What they showed us:

• 10 Skeletons
  • 10 Zombies
  • 5 End Bosses
  • 1 Varghulf like thing
  • 2 Zombie "Orcs"
  • 3 Undead Rat Swarms
  • 3 Bat Swarms
  • 3 Vampires

Total 36

15 hours ago, DarkWingDuck said:

Probably doesn't mean anything, but by my quick count ... they've shown us 36 adversary miniatures and the promo material says there's 42 in the box. You probably get repeats of the rats and the bats ... but here's hoping for something more!

What they showed us:

• 10 Skeletons
  • 10 Zombies
  • 5 End Bosses
  • 1 Varghulf like thing
  • 2 Zombie "Orcs"
  • 3 Undead Rat Swarms
  • 3 Bat Swarms
  • 3 Vampires

Total 36

I also count 36. Maybe that means double bat and rat swarms (three more of each)?

They say there are 60 miniatures total. We know of 8 heroes and two objective markers (hanging skeleton and crow with key). Even at 42 adversaries, that leaves 8 minis unaccounted for. Interesting.

EDIT: Oh wait, the website literally says 10 objective markers. Mystery solved.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

44 minutes ago, Sharkbelly said:

It's quite interesting. For once it took some time until Radukar made the Cities his own (Age of Chaos until the Necroquake) and we at least get some reason why our heroes try to free the city.

And also why the city is called "Ulfenkarn".

7 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I also count 36. Maybe that means double bat and rat swarms (three more of each)?

Yeah my bet is you get six rats and six bats, and for whatever reason they just haven't shown that in the photos. Seems like the most logical place for the final six models to come from.  I don't think it's likely at this point that they've held anything back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EMMachine said:

It's quite interesting. For once it took some time until Radukar made the Cities his own (Age of Chaos until the Necroquake) and we at least get some reason why our heroes try to free the city.

It's interesting that the city is still 'alive' to an extent - i.e. it still has humans living in it, presumably upholding some basic amount of the day-to-day running of the city, rather than just being ruins full of monsters like these settings usually are (Mordheim, Shadespire, etc). I wonder if that will be reflected in the scenario design at all, as narratively speaking that's a pretty different dynamic to just heading into a dungeon and bashing some bad guys. You're almost more like freedom fighters trying to retake the city. 

8 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

It's interesting that the city is still 'alive' to an extent - i.e. it still has humans living in it, presumably upholding some basic amount of the day-to-day running of the city, rather than just being ruins full of monsters like these settings usually are (Mordheim, Shadespire, etc). I wonder if that will be reflected in the scenario design at all, as narratively speaking that's a pretty different dynamic to just heading into a dungeon and bashing some bad guys. You're almost more like freedom fighters trying to retake the city. 

It is a pretty common setting in Vampire stories to have a town of locals under the shadow of the vampire overlords (Dracula, Curse of Strahd, and Critical Role's Briarwood arc for example). The vampires need living humans to feed on so they can't wipe out the whole populace.

17 hours ago, EMMachine said:

Weird that they say the city was originally called Mournhold. That's the name of a major city in the Elder Scrolls universe as well.