Warhammer Quest: Ulfenkarn

Sharkbelly

@Greasygeek

I've never played BSF myself but watched some reviews and they mentioned 'minigames' like rolling dice and stacking them in specific order in 20 seconds (to simulate defusing a bomb) and things like that. 

BSF also got an 'activation bar' to determine in which order players and enemies activate which gives new strategic depth to the game. So it could be mixed like Enemy 1, Player A, Enemy2, Player B .... which could be modified by skills, this was not the case in SoH iirc.

It will also be interesting to see if they stick to the hexagon style boards (i think so) or come up with something new.

• Like 1

In silvertower too you had mini games, and even if it was a cooperative game there were rivalry between the members, providing roleplay for inter faction playing.

You could choose to use a member as a sacrifice, drink that potion or not. 

One easy way to counter insanly strong character was to increase the HP of the bestiary.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:53 AM, Kramer said:

Black stone fortress collected some of the best rules from both silver tower and hammerhal from what I saw. 

I skipped hammerhal because ill never play with a GM. I skipped blackstone because the sci-fi look didn’t interest me. so if it’s the same mechanics as blackstone in fantasy I’d be happy

What I’m really curious about, not having played blackstone , what did they learn from it? 
every quest since silver tower had some fundamental changes. So what will it be. 

Blackstone Fortress added a progress notion based on fulfilling some conditions (with the equivalent of "normal" stateline and "inspired " stateline). 

The enemies were much more "clever" and made decision based on the conditions, (am I range, to shoot? to hit? to charge? am I visible? can I move fast enough etc) 

The notion of progress in the game was quite well handled as well. I never managed to finish it, but it was clearly the best out of the 3 and you could tell it was building upon them ! 

*edit reading other comments: it also had 2 packs of cards "adventures in rooms" and "mini games" and mixing an equal amount of both made the Quest on that session. 

Also some triggering conditions such as killing enemies in the room and calling a transport to move out of a room. 

*edit 2 : and different dice, based on how good people are in CC, short range, long range. Not using solely D6 ! 

Edited by Ninelives
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, minigames just like FireAbend states. BSF is area-to-area exploration/combat, with several rooms and corridors revealed at the start of the current section of the dungeon. Sometimes, instead of combat, explorers undertake challenges. This is where the minigames come in. Often these challenges are resolved with a minimum of tiles setup. Thus challenges / including dice stacking / (or Hazard Rooms, taking a cue from Advanced Heroquest) are never in the middle of a hectic fight, with dosens of enemies, events and different room effects overwhelming you a the same time. 

I quite like it this way, but of course one can also be critical of the lack of room-to-room exploration, compared to the former two installments in the series. Maybe Cursed City can find a new, middle ground?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swabby said:

but of course one can also be critical of the lack of room-to-room exploration, compared to the former two installments in the series. Maybe Cursed City can find a new, middle ground?

Maybe the crypthunter game, was some kind of 'middle ground' or field testing.

5011921141951_p2_v3_s550x406.jpg

Never played it, but i've heard you get a basic 'starting' room (based on sightline from the starting squares) and add new random squares when you reach a corner or door.

• Like 1

I got way excited at the news of a new Warhammer Quest game. I've played through Silver Tower and Shadows over Hammerhal with my kids and we're working our way through Blackstone Fortress (which we might need to put on hold until we get through this one ... we all prefer fantasy over scifi).

BSF is better balanced, and I hope they port over some of those rules. I like the way hexes work in BSF (i.e. multiple heroes and enemy can occupy the same spot), I like the hero/enemy activation line (semi-random activation order) & and I like how you pull cards and some of them are encounter vs. combat (and combat have you setup a map and duke it out). I believe there was a "map" extension in BSF in one of the expansions where you explore an unfilled in map for 4 Chaos Shrines ... that also sounds like it would be cool to expand into this setting (i.e. exploring the city, presumably looking for the lair of the big bad).

I also have Crypt Hunters and it's a pretty good mini game. I don't see how any of the rules there could be ported to a Warhammer Quest style game.

Can't wait to hear more!

• Like 2

Yeah the random "initiative order" sounds way better and more dynamic.

Something more akin to D&D.

I think in Silver Tower, heroes went then all enemies.

From the new website it looks as if there are 8 heroes and 5 enemies "generals", presumably one for each district.

Do we have any thoughts or ideas for heroes?

So far we've seen Witch Hunter, Aelf (kurnothi or wanderer style), KO, and some type of Ogor.

I reckon they'll have a wizard hero in there somewhere.

19 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

So far we've seen Witch Hunter, Aelf (kurnothi or wanderer style), KO, and some type of Ogor.

I think that might just be it besides the human with staff on the ‘box cover’ style picture. 

edit; mostly because it seems weird if that one is incomplete. 

Edited by Kramer

29 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

From the new website it looks as if there are 8 heroes and 5 enemies "generals", presumably one for each district.

Do we have any thoughts or ideas for heroes?

I reckon they'll have a wizard hero in there somewhere.

There was that other picture someone linked which also showed a woman Sigamrite mage. She seems to be holding a staff that appeared in a rumour engine previously:

2020-04-14a.jpg

2020-04-14.jpg

There is a also the placeholder silhouette on the hero side, which appears to be this guy/lady with the sword and armour:

DSNfMUN.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

There was that other picture someone linked which also showed a woman Sigamrite mage. She seems to be holding a staff that appeared in a rumour engine previously:

2020-04-14a.jpg

2020-04-14.jpg

There is a also the placeholder silhouette on the hero side, which appears to be this guy/lady with the sword and armour:

DSNfMUN.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot about the front and centre damsel causing distress.

My current guess is that the face top right is the baddie. the goatee really says it all 😂

I’m also wondering if the KO will be able to drag opponents closer. 

the mage also has the Cathelar/sister of battle cloth over the face. Which is cool 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Oh yeah, forgot about the front and centre damsel causing distress.

My current guess is that the face top right is the baddie. the goatee really says it all 😂

I’m also wondering if the KO will be able to drag opponents closer. 

the mage also has the Cathelar/sister of battle cloth over the face. Which is cool 

Haha, all the goatee wearer needs is an 80's bad guy ponytail 😉

Cool idea for the KO character!

• Haha 1

Right so we've seen 6 of the 8 heroes so far. Really curious what the last 2 might be. No stormcast yet. I'm really hoping it stays that way as they would break the gothic horror immersion in my opinion. They aren't gritty enough for the setting. I think we could use 1 more tank/barbarian type. 1 more spell caster might be nice too. I hope the last 2 spots are bigger wildcards though, like a not traditionally "good" faction.

• Like 1

On the hero wishlist topic I just hope for a mix of heroes that would normally work together. Ever since the original WHQ I always found it weird that a Witchhunter would team up with Chaos Warrior. 
Or a Stormcast  a Skaven and a Khorne Deathbringer as in newer versions.

I get that GW aim to include all factions It just killed some of the narrative for me.

• Like 1

Yeah it's interesting that the most heroes have a 'old world' feeling. 
The Witchhunter obviously, the  spell caster looks like old 'sisters of sigmar', the sylvaneth looks more like a wood elve with horned helmet and the 'human' officer looks like a mix of empire General and Stormcast. (Maybe hint to new AoS human faction?)

Only the KO is really AoS like.  The 'Orc/Ogor' no idea.

For the last two heroes maybe something like DoK, melee glas cannon and a 'alchemist' as support character? 
Also Seraphon, Lumineth or IDK possible if we stay in GA Order.

• Like 1

I also hope that the female mage with storm staff takes the place of a SCE.

I think it is quite conceivable that a greedy ogor would be a member of a (vampire) hunting party if the price was high enough.

...but yeah i hope they feel like they are meant to be together and all follow the same gothic style aesthetic.

Thinking traditional adventuring party roles, looks like we might need a healer.

9 hours ago, Greasygeek said:

On the hero wishlist topic I just hope for a mix of heroes that would normally work together. Ever since the original WHQ I always found it weird that a Witchhunter would team up with Chaos Warrior. 
Or a Stormcast  a Skaven and a Khorne Deathbringer as in newer versions.

I get that GW aim to include all factions It just killed some of the narrative for me.

The only way it was possible was in the Silver Tower but the roleplay behind this is reliable : each adventurer has a purpose to be in the Silver Tower (wanted or unwanted) and they play alongside only to stay alive .. and when it is possible they play against each other ^^

In Shadow over Hammerhal it wasn't possible if you want to roleplay because you were starting in the city as members of the order and going against chaos ^^.

To understand better the roleplay behind Silver Tower the book/novella about it is really well written .. talking about the rivalry between the stormcast and a darkoat chieftain, a fyreslayer who stayed too long in the silver tower, a mistweaver trying to stay elusive and an skaven assassin trying to kill them ^^

• Like 2

I have a question for fellow w40K and BSF players : are the heroes and the bestiary playable in V9 40K ? I know the chaos lord and the marines are but is every think compatible ?

I liked the way we could use most of the models from Silver Tower and Shadow over Hammerhal in AOS (non meta i know) and i wonder if it will be possible for Cursed City as they will mostly follow the build of BSF.

15 minutes ago, Perturbato said:

I have a question for fellow w40K and BSF players : are the heroes and the bestiary playable in V9 40K ? I know the chaos lord and the marines are but is every think compatible ?

I liked the way we could use most of the models from Silver Tower and Shadow over Hammerhal in AOS (non meta i know) and i wonder if it will be possible for Cursed City as they will mostly follow the build of BSF.

I know that they still have points, but you really need the boxes for the rules and its maybe not easy to include them because of Keywords.