Warhammer Quest: Ulfenkarn

Sharkbelly

According to the website, there will be six heroes, or Agents of defiance. Jelson Darrock above, is the Witch Hunter.

This picture from the intro video hints at a few of the others.

medium.jpg 

One looks like a Kharadron to me, and one looks Sylvaneth. There are locations on the city map that mention these two races being present. But who or what is the hulking brute on the right?

• Like 1

I think the 4 guys represented in the map pictures are the 4 overlords of UIfenkarn, but before they were cursed / undead.

We already have the gravedigger, we'll see the model of the skeleton with the halleberd and the eyepatch, and i'm thinking the gut in red armor is now a vampire, and the old man with his cat is probably gonna be a lich. The last one is the Wolf himself, we think it's a vampire but the name is a given, he's actually a werewolves.

Historically werewolves were a chaos unit, but it's AoS now and it's a boxed games. It's a halloween themed game :D

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Greasygeek said:

So what do you suspect/hope for the rules? 
Do you think the rules for Cursed City is similar to Silvertower n Hammerhal?

I hope compatible stats/basic rules.

Silvertower was no DM and random map, Hammerhal was DM and fixed map... I don't really know what to expect here in the dungeon crawling aspect. Maybe we should look at Blackstone Fortress looking for cues.

I'd agree that the artwork is the four key generals to the wolf before they went batty (see what I did there?). 

The shield patterns they have under them coincide with some of the greyed out areas of the city.

But I think weve already seen them. 

The grave digger obviously. 

The "undead ork" from the previous reveal video is actually, I think, the necromancer esc guy (the beards match exactly and so do the big cuffs on his hands) and it's just very close up photos to make it look bigger then it is.

The guy with the halberd is actually now more of a white kings esc character, as shown in the new trailer ,that would likely be head of the city's guard (hence why he holds the gate location) 

And the kneeling character is likely the other vampire related rumour engines not solved by the crimson court. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gotz said:

I hope compatible stats/basic rules.

Silvertower was no DM and random map, Hammerhal was DM and fixed map... I don't really know what to expect here in the dungeon crawling aspect. Maybe we should look at Blackstone Fortress looking for cues.

I too suspect the rules to be based on BSF. If so then what to expect? I have never tried BSF but I have heard good things about it. 

Black stone fortress collected some of the best rules from both silver tower and hammerhal from what I saw. 

I skipped hammerhal because ill never play with a GM. I skipped blackstone because the sci-fi look didn’t interest me. so if it’s the same mechanics as blackstone in fantasy I’d be happy

What I’m really curious about, not having played blackstone , what did they learn from it? 
every quest since silver tower had some fundamental changes. So what will it be. 

Totaly hyped for a new AoS WH Quest. 

As already mentioned, the 'boss' enemies are allocated to specific city-map areas, which gives a 'open world' feeling where the players can choose which dungeon they raid: 'let's go to the corpse-gardens to defeat Gorslav Gravekeeper'.
Please give us cool boss fights with different mechanics like, debuffs, AreaOfEffect spells (fire-markers on the squares) and so on.

Just thinking loud:
For the 'Wulf' endboss maybe we get two models, like they did with morathi in AoS. In the rumour engine we saw his wulf pelt, so maybe phase one, take human model. After he took x damage, replace him with werewulf model (there were also werewolfy pics in the rumour engine).

2020-12-06.png2020-09-22.jpg

Will be interesting to see if there are 'between dungeon' mechanics like in hammerhal and BSF.

In the rumour engine pics, we got the crow and rat with key models. Maybe you need to hunt/find those in the outer city parts to unlock the inner city dungeons?

2020-07-28.jpg2020-12-12.png

What you guys think about a release date?
My hope is, that they buildin an solo campaign and try to release it as fasst as possible due to the global situiation with lockdowns and so on.

Edited by FireAbend
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, FireAbend said:

My hope is, that they buildin an solo campaign and try to release it as fasst as possible due to the global situiation with lockdowns and so on.

I’d be surprised if they didn’t, WHQ is perfect for lockdowns and as a way to introduce partners or family who don’t play Warhammer. As is something like Warcry Catacombs, so they might be bringing stuff like this forward and delaying things like battletomes etc. 

I’m wondering whether The Wolf is going to be a Werewulf, or something else entirely. Vampires in classic literature are commonly associated with wolves, Dracula could transform into one even. It could also be an update or twist on the Varghulf or more bestial vampires. 

A few people have speculated that Nagash might be killed (again) or at least weakened somehow in BR: Teclis. If that comes out first, a wilder theory I had is that The Wolf could be a form of Nagash, in the same way that  Sauron = The Necromancer and Saruman = Sharkey in the Scouring of the Shire. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FireAbend said:

2020-12-06.png2020-09-22.jpg

Will be interesting to see if there are 'between dungeon' mechanics like in hammerhal and BSF.

In the rumour engine pics, we got the crow and rat with key models. Maybe you need to hunt/find those in the outer city parts to unlock the inner city dungeons?

2020-07-28.jpg2020-12-12.png

What you guys think about a release date?

Good catch on these rumors, by the way. You might be on to something here. Maybe the heroes have to collect keys from locations around the city before heading to the final encounter?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, BrocknerTheBear said:

I'd agree that the artwork is the four key generals to the wolf before they went batty (see what I did there?).

Excuse me, I think you mean before they got re-vamped.

The shield patterns they have under them coincide with some of the greyed out areas of the city.

This is actually a super good catch! I have seen people speculate that the greyed-out shields are for future expansions, but I think this puts that to rest.

So could that imply a kind of campaign structure where you first tackle some boss-less levels and then go face the named characters later? There seem to be four locations without an associated overlord.

The "undead ork" from the previous reveal video is actually, I think, the necromancer esc guy (the beards match exactly and so do the big cuffs on his hands) and it's just very close up photos to make it look bigger then it is.

I agree with the others ones, but I don't think we have seen the priest guy. Looking at the new years video again and cranking the brightness way up, the armour of the "undead ork" is just too different (fur collar, bone shoulderpads, different style and colour coat...). Plus, a switch from a wolf staff to a huge axe for that priest also seems unlikely. So I don't think we have seen him yet.

The thing I find the most mysterious at the moment is the lady (?) on the right of this picture:

https://www.belloflostsouls.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/AoS-Spooky-1.jpg

We see the grave keeper and the wolf in this shot, so that implies that the lady is similarly important to the two. But the website seems to suggest that there is no room for another Overlord of Ulfenkarn.

What's funny to me is that it looks like vermintide, you have corners of the city to investigate and maybe a hub to drink beer !

What is really of my concern : will it be only order restrictive like Shadow Over Hammerhall or will it be lore friendly to welcome chaos worshipper or agent of destruction like the nicely written "Labyrint of the lost" from Silver Tower.

And as i have both silver tower and Shadow Over Hammerhal i really hope all the old heroes are playable in this set and maybe the exotic enemies will be the nighthaunt or other from dead allegiance. But if i was GamesWorkshop and i wanted to make money i would make oop content useless in order to make people buy the new stuff ! In that case maybe it will be possible to adapt the rules ofr Cursed cities to Silver tower.

1 hour ago, Sharkbelly said:

Good catch on these rumors, by the way. You might be on to something here. Maybe the heroes have to collect keys from locations around the city before heading to the final encounter?

Or to enter different districts of the city;

Or unlock allies/loot.

They could also fulfil the role as something akin to the familiars in Silver Tower.

• Like 1

I came here to participate in the hype. This looks fantastic so far! Just what I have been waiting for for years. I have, and love, Silver Tower, Hammerhal and Blackstone Fortress. I think Blackstone Fortress is an improvement compared to the former two iterations of WHQ. But I much prefer the fantasy/AOS universe. So here is hoping that Cursed City is more or less an AOS reskin of Blackstone Fortress. The bosses and city districts are to be unlocked like the Strongholds in Blackstone Fortress. Initiative mini-game, custom dice, unhealable grievous injuries, hostile behavior charts based on distance/context, exploration that leads to challenges, combat or ambush.... uh!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swabby said:

I came here to participate in the hype. This looks fantastic so far! Just what I have been waiting for for years. I have, and love, Silver Tower, Hammerhal and Blackstone Fortress. I think Blackstone Fortress is an improvement compared to the former two iterations of WHQ. But I much prefer the fantasy/AOS universe. So here is hoping that Cursed City is more or less an AOS reskin of Blackstone Fortress. 

Out of curiosity. What made BSF better than Silvertower and Hammerhal, in your opinion. Asking since I won’t know anything about BSF.

Two things that annoyed me in Silvertower and SoH were:

1. Success and failiure in Silvertower was too random. Most of the time heroes would dash unworried through the map slaying everything at ease. That was untill a Series of unexpected events swamped the area in mosters and the heroes lost instantly with no options to avoid this.

2. Many of the extra heroes for both of the AOS based WHQ’s were insanely strong making the game too easy.

Does BSF suffer from some of the same issues? 

• Like 1

Greasygeek, in my humble opinion, your first point about easy slaying until swamped by monsters (and/or events in Silvertower) is one of the main improvements in BSF over Silvertower/SoH. Even the smallest grot (or lasgun-wielding cultist in BSF) can grievously wound one of your explorers, via a new combat mechanic with custom dice that rolls misses, successes, and critical succeses / wounds. As they explore deeper, the party gradually gets more and more beaten up. In BSF, every attack can potentially result in a grievous wound. It is brutal, but I quite like it! :)

That sounds awesome, this is most helpfull. I much rather prefer hard difficulty to easy. 
One last question. 
Some of the things I did like about Silvertower and Hammerhal was the many different perils a chamber could contain. One room had the players stacking dicetowers, another gave them hard choices to make or filled the room with traps n secrets. 
does BSF has any of this or is just focused on slaying everything that moves?

Again, only asking course we might see some of these mechanics used in Cursed city too.