A Slow WIP Ogor Tribe

Catgut

Hi folks. I've started on the mammoth task of rebasing and painting the ~2500pts of Ogre Kingdoms I accumulated back around 2010. I find they're a nice break from my wash-focused Tyranids and Mechanicum. So far I've completed a unit of 6 Bulls/Gluttons; some of the recipes are still work-in-progress (particularly the skin and bone) and will be adjusted for future models.

cmu9C4N.jpg

wbLOXAZ.jpg

uCQUkvl.jpg

LSaGX9S.jpg

YdYOwSF.jpg

Next up will be a unit of 4 Ironguts. After that I've got 2 Leadbelchers, 2 Mournfangs, a Tyrant, and a Butcher to reach my notional 1K list.

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Catgut said:

Hi folks. I've started on the mammoth task of rebasing and painting the ~2500pts of Ogre Kingdoms I accumulated back around 2010. I find they're a nice break from my wash-focused Tyranids and Mechanicum. So far I've completed a unit of 6 Bulls/Gluttons; some of the recipes are still work-in-progress (particularly the skin and bone) and will be adjusted for future models.

cmu9C4N.jpg

wbLOXAZ.jpg

uCQUkvl.jpg

LSaGX9S.jpg

YdYOwSF.jpg

Next up will be a unit of 4 Ironguts. After that I've got 2 Leadbelchers, 2 Mournfangs, a Tyrant, and a Butcher to reach my notional 1K list.

Nice project! And looking good. Love the subdued green that ties them together as well. 

Given that that green is meant to represent oxidized brass, rather than an army color... like I said, recipes are work-in-progress :P I think it needs a bit more blue and a bit more contrast in its application to sell the effect.

As far as tying the models together, I'm trying something new (to me) and going for a unified color palette rather than any specific 'army color'. My main rule so far is no warm colors for the clothing, just greens, blues, and greyscale. That provides some contrast with the skin and leather, and I think ties in nicely with the basing to give them a cold weather look.

Edited by Catgut
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Catgut said:

Given that that green is meant to represent oxidized brass, rather than an army color... like I said, recipes are work-in-progress :P I think it needs a bit more blue and a bit more contrast in its application to sell the effect.

As far as tying the models together, I'm trying something new (to me) and going for a unified color palette rather than any specific 'army color'. My main rule so far is no warm colors for the clothing, just greens, blues, and greyscale. That provides some contrast with the skin and leather, and I think ties in nicely with the basing to give them a cold weather look.

Haha I realised it was oxidised metal. But it’s exactly what you described. 
It’s a palette that makes them seem as a whole and that green is a nice subdued spot color. 

its a really solid scheme that’s well executed. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A long-overdue update; it's taken me a lot longer than anticipated to paint a unit of Ironguts.

I improved the skin significantly by tweaking the recipe, but it also became apparent that this sequence really needs a bit of blending to smooth out the layers. So some areas where I did a bit of quick glazing look better than areas where I just layered. I also did some more experimentation with brass, adding in some darker washes for the more heavily corroded areas, and I think it's looking a little more realistic.

GdlZePu.jpg
sZqB0KKh.jpg
0P0hQlth.jpg
MA4okwBh.jpg
lo8MWJJh.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2