Missing in Action: Which Units Exist in Lore but Need Models?

Neverchosen

3 hours ago, PlasticCraic said:

Great topic @Neverchosen!

Thanks @PlasticCraic,

I have wanted to make a thread on this topic for awhile but I often feel fairly nervous about creating new threads. I see a lot of people speculating on range updates based on lore hints from novels, battletomes and various supplemental rules books and I thought it would be better to have one spot to discuss such things. However, as I am limited in terms of both time and funds I cannot follow all of these different lore threads and I think that they often provide insight into possible upcoming models, but they also provide great inspiration to fuel our own creativity. The reason I decided to finally commit to starting this thread is the really cool Lumineth Sun Wukong cloud riding inspired model(s) which apparently have some basis in the lore. So I realized it would be cool to learn what other amazing concepts and ideas that some of us were missing out on. Heck even if there is no model representation the cool ideas might be enough to inspire someone to look at an army in a new light. 

If even half of these models get released I would be so happy for the players of all of these armies. I am really hoping that we see some posts pertaining to the armies with smaller model counts like Fyreslayers and Flesh Eater Courts. 

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 3

I feel like I remember Sylvaneth Beetle riders being mentioned in one of the timeline sections somewhere. 

and on the subject of Sylvaneth, I expect there are a bunch of kurnothi units out there based on other sylvan mythological archetypes (pixies, centaurs, Fauns, etc like the underworlds models), and presumably a Big Kurnoth model as well. 

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

7 hours ago, tupavko said:

Morghur the Shadowgave again from BoC is mentioned as a sort of avatar of Chaos Undevided and he's still a thing (so again might be a god level Lord for BoC)

Some sort of big monstrous Morghur update - like with Sigvald or Alarielle or even Morathi - would surely be an easy win. They've doubled down on that particular angle of true chaos/devolution/anarchy in the AoS background and built the Gavespawn subfaction out of Morghur's shtick. Would love to see a gross plastic update, make him more of a twisting protean monster than a beastlord with skulls on his back.

• Like 3

A few things I’d love to see...

A new set of Warcry warbands representing the non-chaos humans for each realm. Each of which can either be folded into a future Cities of Sigmar book like they did with StD, or have them as allies for certain factions like the Underworlds warbands are used. 

Actual Darkoath units (like the War Queen, Chieftan and Godsworn Hunt) to replace the maruaders and horsemen. 

Spites! We’ve only seen a handful of them and I love the Guillermo Del Toro vibe as weird insect-like fairies. More of that dark fairy tale side to the Sylvaneth is something I would love to see, and perhaps let the Kurnothi be their own faction instead. 

• Like 2

Heavily armored mortal Tzeentch units. Mutated (mortal) Tzeentch units (yes, we got a lot of reused chicken legs and a tzaangor mutant but that isn't exactly what they write about in the background).  Special beastmen for Nurgle and Khorne. Basic mortal infantry for Nurgle. They should stop giving Nurgle so much stuff in 40k and instead add a kit or two to his AoS range, then he'd at least be complete. God, I hate Nurgle. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Funnily enough Slaanesh will soon be the most complete Chaos AoS Mono-Force now but well deserved after that wait.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NotAWzrd said:

Spites! We’ve only seen a handful of them and I love the Guillermo Del Toro vibe as weird insect-like fairies. More of that dark fairy tale side to the Sylvaneth is something I would love to see, and perhaps let the Kurnothi be their own faction instead. 

I would love to see this as well! Also, Lady of Vines model would be cool - if I remember correctly, Alarielle remade her.

Edited by Painbringer

10 hours ago, NotAWzrd said:

Actual Darkoath units (like the War Queen, Chieftan and Godsworn Hunt) to replace the maruaders and horsemen.

That's my first thought, too. Not sure if the Darkoath should replace Marauders completely or form some sort of Marauder elite, but the lore clearly indicates there's more of them than just a few Chieftains and Warqueens.

(and speaking of Marauders, we do need models for them, too - because the current ones are so outdated they might as well not exist...)

Also, I'd like to see some new non-Chaos human units that would break away from the WFB aesthetics / concepts. There are supposed to be humans living all across the Mortal Realms, but all we get for the non-Chaos side are the WFB legacy models...

Finally - and I know that this is not in the lore, but there's no reason that it couldn't be added - how about some female Skaven? A teensy renegade clan of females that escaped the breeding pits...

Overall: more female models for all ranges! How about some female Daemon Princes (Princesses)?

• Like 2

Oh and another thing: DRAGONS.

****** being trademarkable, that only Stormcast got a dragon (with a slightly dumb looking pose and cumbersome armor) is a gigantic miss on GW's behalf. I can't sugarcoat that cause we all know how awesome dragons are. Hell, might be an idea to get Archaon and a Stardrake kit and mash em together to get a proper chaos dragon...

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

One great thing about how the AoS lore has been handled and written so far is that GW clearly intends to leave room to introduce new units in the future. Aside from the aforementioned factions with new units mentioned, there's also the Daughters of Khaine, where it's heavily hinted there's more Melusai that isn't just the types we have right now.  There's also the Skaven where a whole Great Clan went through a gnawhole in Aqshy, and has been missing since then. This way if GW ever wants to make a new Great Clan along the five we already have, they could simply reappear with a new theme (though I presume we'll get updates to our current great clans first before that).

• LOVE IT! 2

On 1/11/2021 at 8:03 PM, MitGas said:

Oh and another thing: DRAGONS.

****** being trademarkable, that only Stormcast got a dragon (with a slightly dumb looking pose and cumbersome armor) is a gigantic miss on GW's behalf. I can't sugarcoat that cause we all know how awesome dragons are. Hell, might be an idea to get Archaon and a Stardrake kit and mash em together to get a proper chaos dragon...

For a classic Chaos Dragon you might need two Star Drakes for the necks/heads and that is making a steep ticket even steeper. It would be far out of my price range but having Galrauch hit the table next to Karios would be quite a sight. 

5 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

@MitGas The Maw Krusha is a dragon for all intents and purposes and a right cute and nasty beastie as well.

Maw krusha and the Fyreslayer things are both nice. But considering that there is a LOT of talk about dragons in the background apparently, we still got very little dragon stuff. Especially not more classic dragon stuff. And even more especially no CHAOS DRAGON STUFF. Which is undeniably the coolest form of dragon.

A Galrauch/Egrimm Van Horstmann kit/vanilla Chaos Dragon kit for Tzeentch and they'd get me to buy a 130 € kit 3 times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Neverchosen said:

For a classic Chaos Dragon you might need two Star Drakes for the necks/heads and that is making a steep ticket even steeper. It would be far out of my price range but having Galrauch hit the table next to Karios would be quite a sight. 

Indeed, or lots of Procreate - thing is, not sure Dorghar is sufficiently dragon-like in the end to make it worth it - the body shape is more demonic than draconic.

As an undead Player:

Mortals of Shyish would be great... they are all over the place withing the lore.  Babarian tribes in "Undying King" and almost normal cities with aristocracy within "Dominion of Blood".

Then within the KO book as stated on page 1... vampire sky pirates (please no PotC Johnny Depp thing and no Davy Jones either) with Vargheists and screaming Spirit hordes

And of course a variety of Vampire Lords, from the puny 140pts Fledgling up to Count RipnTear (Abhorash o.O), vampire footsoldiers as elite infantry

For FEC some more variety of Battleline would be great, maybe deranged mortals on the verge of becoming ghouls and half grown horrors or flayers, but tricky. Please an affordable new varghulf, maybe some more heroes, but I´m kinda uninspired on that part.

Ushoran of course would be cool, with a Maddening Aura, roll Bravery or attack yourself xD

Since a lot of variety can be achieved with the Anvil of Apotheosis, the same/similar would be cool for units... pay 50 pts extra for +1 save/hit/wound or damage, bring back the Old World Items and Banners, which can suddenly make a mediocre unit shine. Only for Narrative games or if agreed upon, I´d pay 100pts extra for 6 flayers hitting on 3+ or a 3+ save for my 10 bloodknights

The Stardrake is a weird one as it's really GW's first stab at a modern dragon design: saurian, chunky, short-ish neck, bulky limbs. Thinking of the film Dragonheart here but there's other examples in fantasy art of the last twenty years or so. Their older dragons were more serpentine, generally, even after they moved on from the S-shaped dragon plastic sprue that formed the core of many dragon kits. I don't think it made for a great model with the stardrake unfortunately, though that wasn't down to the general design so much as the specifics of how they did it.

I always liked the Tzeentchian twist chaos dragons had. Not just big and scary but specifically warped and twisted, like when a dragon gets chaotic, it goes all the way. Wouldn't mind seeing that come back in some form.

4 hours ago, sandlemad said:

The Stardrake is a weird one as it's really GW's first stab at a modern dragon design: saurian, chunky, short-ish neck, bulky limbs. Thinking of the film Dragonheart here but there's other examples in fantasy art of the last twenty years or so. Their older dragons were more serpentine, generally, even after they moved on from the S-shaped dragon plastic sprue that formed the core of many dragon kits. I don't think it made for a great model with the stardrake unfortunately, though that wasn't down to the general design so much as the specifics of how they did it.

I always liked the Tzeentchian twist chaos dragons had. Not just big and scary but specifically warped and twisted, like when a dragon gets chaotic, it goes all the way. Wouldn't mind seeing that come back in some form.

Baudros, Egrimm's chaos dragon wasn't all that twisted (outside of the two heads) actually - that "mutated" look came with Galrauch. I guess that Egrimm was a champ of Tzeentch influenced the decision in Galrauch's backstory to turn him into the result of a wonderfully cunning Lord of Change's cross with an aelven dragon but anyways, Chaos dragons should be available to all Chaos factions cause I'm sure many would appreciate them. That said, lots of people here and on other sites actually instantly asked for Egrimm, so there's lots of love for that cool guy... 

Egrimm_van_Horstmann-_2016-12-01_23-46.j

Edited by MitGas
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Greybeard86 said:

That is a proper drago! I have to say, for all I love some other sculpts, dragons were never my favourite citadel/gw models.

Kurnothi! Make it happen! Make them fight human normies squatting in their lands until they might reach an agreement in some books...something like that.

In GW's defense I think the old models were really limited by the weight of the material/technical limitations. The newer models like the Magmadroth or Maw Krusha are great... The Star Drake looks weird to me but that might just be its stance. Anyways, I can remember the GoT Finale and despite not being a big fan of it, (NO SPOILERS=) the scenes with Drogon at the end were really cool.... since the closeup of his face I keep thinking of dragons. xD

5 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

KHOLEK SUNEATER!!!!!!!!

BoC players want a giant plastic kit and to make him a force of nature near god-beast level.  

ALL THE DESTRUCTION (Trogdor-style).

Absolutely this. As a BoC player I'd take any new kits but a Kholek kit would be instant buy

• Like 1

Off the top of my head:

1- More mixed gender Stormcast units in existing chambers. The cover of AOS 2.0 is a lady liberator, but you can only get one by buying Steelheart's Champions... There's so much lore precedent in the books, artwork, and Soulbound that I'd rather have this than a new chamber in AOS 3.0

2- Mixed race (& possibly gender) units for Cities. Give me a shieldwall of aelf, human, and duardin comrades standing side by side! Let aelves use guns! Move past the elf-dwarf grudging of WHF! Cities could be such an amazing, diverse range without needing to be over the top in design. GW should lean into this hard.

3- Realm specific Cities units, whether full boxed kits or upgrade kits, and especially for the main Cities given rules and/or boxes in the Battletome. The Realms are so unique when compared to one another, GW cannot tell us every Free City would use the same Holy Roman Empire look for its troops that the WHF Empire did.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CommissarRotke said:

Off the top of my head:

1- More mixed gender Stormcast units in existing chambers. The cover of AOS 2.0 is a lady liberator, but you can only get one by buying Steelheart's Champions... There's so much lore precedent in the books, artwork, and Soulbound that I'd rather have this than a new chamber in AOS 3.0

Off topic so I'll be brief, I have a feeling the next starter will feature m/f liberators and judicators with some new goodies thrown on top. Just a hunch really. 

Without scrapping those two kits, (wouldn't mind as SCE design had shifted ever so slightly) this seems like the only logical way to bring this popular requested change or make a warcry band.

• Thanks 1