Ordering from the EU after 01-01-2021

Lowki

6 minutes ago, azdimy said:

I am concerned that gw in a near future treats the eu as  the rest of the world and prevents uk resellers to sell gw goods outside of the uk.  Something they could not do legally when the uk was part of the eu

true, very good point :/

On 1/8/2021 at 4:18 PM, Kramer said:

Oh nice! De tafelridder its called.  It’s not much for AoS gaming sadly, but it’s a great store none the less. 
their site is integrated with their stock sadly. So not everything shows. But shoot them an email and they order it. 
for example they don’t stock the Warcry books (since they had to throw away a ton of 40k during the new edition). So they don’t show but they ordered them with 20% discount for me none the less. 

Sounds great!, thanks

On 1/8/2021 at 4:18 PM, Kramer said:

but if you ever looking for a game in the area, give me a shout. 

Oh yeah, love to, got to warn you that I am a far from experienced player :)

On 1/8/2021 at 9:53 PM, Marcvs said:

I think there is still hope that it could work differently: goods produced in the UK (GW minis) shuold have no import duties, as for the VAT they shuold be exempted from the UK one (exports) and you would have to pay the EU rate -which, at the moment, is essentially the same. I will wait a few weeks to say if the situation is clearer, but otherwise I will just try a small order and see how it goes.

Yeah that is what I am thinking as well,  For Re-Sellers to sort out, guess if there is an option, they will as it is much as their interest as ours to keep the priced competative ...

On 1/8/2021 at 10:26 PM, azdimy said:

I am concerned that gw in a near future treats the eu as  the rest of the world and prevents uk resellers to sell gw goods outside of the uk.  Something they could not do legally when the uk was part of the eu

hmm yeah, that sounds as awfull as it is possible :/ lets hope not.

1 hour ago, Lowki said:

Oh yeah, love to, got to warn you that I am a far from experienced player :)

I’m very experienced but a very bad player so that equals out ;) 

lets first see what the new restrictions will be Tuesday but set up a game when it’s responsible 

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2021 at 2:57 PM, Lowki said:

Well I read a bit more about it, and yeah it looks like it is what it is. Regardless of a trading deal, as the UK is considered a "third country" now, import taxes are 21% for anything imported to the EU with a value higher than 22 Euro. That counts as far as I can see for any European country as we share the same VAT system (but I am not expert, so don't quote me on that),

That's also the answer I got from Element. The trading deal probably has more benefits for companies importing to and from the UK, but for a simple customer of a UK webshop...this is what we have to deal with.  Unfortunate as that makes the hobby 25% more expensive for people in the EU, and also bad new for the UK Re-Sellers as I don't know how much of their business is with people in the EU, but I bet it is considerable

I believe that a UK company selling to the EU shouldn't be charging the UK 20% VAT - instead you'll get a customs tax bill for your respective country.  In theory that should mean your order only increases by 1%.  However the rules are very complicated and many smaller companies won't have the expertise/time to get this sorted and implemented, so you may well find yourself paying UK VAT and import duties too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I believe that a UK company selling to the EU shouldn't be charging the UK 20% VAT - instead you'll get a customs tax bill for your respective country.  In theory that should mean your order only increases by 1%.  However the rules are very complicated and many smaller companies won't have the expertise/time to get this sorted and implemented, so you may well find yourself paying UK VAT and import duties too.

Yeah that makes sense, I think the same. So much depends if the Re-Seller has the knowledge and willing to put effort and time in this. Probably they need to fill in different forms, follow a different process, etc. Understandable that it takes time for things to be sorted, so better wait for a bit

2 hours ago, Lowki said:

Yeah that makes sense, I think the same. So much depends if the Re-Seller has the knowledge and willing to put effort and time in this. Probably they need to fill in different forms, follow a different process, etc. Understandable that it takes time for things to be sorted, so better wait for a bit

Agreed.  There's so many moving parts, knowledge of the actual legislation, the technical part of doing it on the website and like you say there's additional paperwork to do, which varies depending on how orders are being sent.  I'm fairly sure that things will settle down, but unlikely to get there for a little bit.

14 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

a UK company selling to the EU shouldn't be charging the UK 20% VAT

Different company, but I ordered Kingdom Death minis for roughly 150€ from their UK store (tried to be smart) and just got a tax receipt for 73€ because things... 46€ Import taxes, 14€ advanced payment fees (DHL) and 13€ some other tax 😳

now that was a kick where it hurts...

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Honk said:

Different company, but I ordered Kingdom Death minis for roughly 150€ from their UK store (tried to be smart) and just got a tax receipt for 73€ because things... 46€ Import taxes, 14€ advanced payment fees (DHL) and 13€ some other tax 😳

God that's brutal.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, sandlemad said:

God that's brutal.

Certainly felt pretty rough...

And way higher than similar orders from USA even without the 14€ for DHL, next time I‘ll pick it up at customs. 

and kinda brutally cured me from my Kickstarter addiction. Most are distributed from UK, and if wonky taxes are going to be a thing

Edited by Honk

9 hours ago, Honk said:

Ouch, that's pretty rough!  Have seen this before where companies basically pretend to have a presence in another country with a fancy website and charging the local currency, but it just gets shipped direct from wherever in the world they are.

9 hours ago, Honk said:

and kinda brutally cured me from my Kickstarter addiction. Most are distributed from UK, and if wonky taxes are going to be a thing

Lol, that's not necessarily a bad thing 😂  I stopped when I discovered I had so much Arcadia Quest & Rivet Wars that it wouldn't even fit under the spare bed...

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

but it just gets shipped direct from wherever in the world they are.

If I remember correctly, a direct order from their NY headquarters just added up to 19% German import tax...

So with orders from UK stuff, it needs to be declared right and have all the fancy paperwork done right, which nobody knows how to do anymore... 😫

31 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

that's not necessarily a bad thing

Wife is not interested in games, my Warhammer group plays AoS and my boardgame groups, one for KD:M (all in so that’ll take a while) and one twighlight imperium... other games might be cool but the tabletime is certainly lacking.

can‘t wait for retirement, just 30 more years 🤣

On 1/11/2021 at 8:55 AM, RuneBrush said:

Unfortunately, this is not how it works. They can't sell the goods to you without charging you the UK 20% VAT and now since they're no longer part of the EU, you have to pay the import VAT, whatever your country charges, usually 21% for most European countries.

What I'm curies, if this applies to orders straight from GW as well. This is what they say at their website "Good news – Warhammer fans in the EU won’t have to pay more for our products in-store or online as we head into the new year. While the details of the UK’s future relationship with the EU are still being worked out, Games Workshop will shoulder any customs and duties fees that apply to your order."

This would be very strange if they would take care of the import tax charged by the individual countries. 

Has anyone from the EU ordered anything from GW this year? I'm debating whether to even go for the upcoming LEs this week. The extra 21% on top of already-overpriced books is simply too much

Edited by Candlelight

12 hours ago, Candlelight said:

Unfortunately, this is not how it works. They can't sell the goods to you without charging you the UK 20% VAT and now since they're no longer part of the EU, you have to pay the import VAT, whatever your country charges, usually 21% for most European countries.

What I'm curies, if this applies to orders straight from GW as well. This is what they say at their website "Good news – Warhammer fans in the EU won’t have to pay more for our products in-store or online as we head into the new year. While the details of the UK’s future relationship with the EU are still being worked out, Games Workshop will shoulder any customs and duties fees that apply to your order."

This would be very strange if they would take care of the import tax charged by the individual countries. 

Has anyone from the EU ordered anything from GW this year? I'm debating whether to even go for the upcoming LEs this week. The extra 21% on top of already-overpriced books is simply too much

All the VAT rules are in a bit of a state of flux and many changed at the end of December.  When posting something to outside the UK a company now appears to be allowed to declare it zero VAT.  This is something most third-parties have never had to deal with because GW's T&C prevents them selling outside the EU

I'm not sure how GW is going to be handling it.  It may be they can use distribution centres so that they charge at the local tax rate rather than it being a customs tax?  I'm sure I read they have something in N. Ireland which they may be using to facilitate this?

one thing that came up somewhere else was, that they do have a trade agreement, which is on its way to be validated by the EU end of January... so not active yet.

For orders from GW store, since they do have a lot of stores in the EU, ordering should not be a big deal.

Forgeworld might be tricky till ratified, but since they dropped Legion of Azgorh I hate them with the FURY OF A THOUSAND SUNS!!!

8 minutes ago, Honk said:

one thing that came up somewhere else was, that they do have a trade agreement, which is on its way to be validated by the EU end of January... so not active yet.

the trade agreement is already applicable (so, active) since 1 January, as the EU gave it provisional application waiting for the "full" ratification process

EDIT: this of course does not mean that everything is already working "as intended", business practices are ready (considering the short notice they were given) and so on.

Edited by Marcvs

• 2 weeks later...

in case someone is still following this, a little feedback from my personal experience (so, perfectly anecdotal): I live in France and ordered a few boxes of minis from Wayland. No more free delivery for orders > 60€ (fair enough) but for the rest it went smoothly, no surprise charges and delivery was only slightly slower than usual (12 days vs the usual 5-7). My order was > 22€ but < 150€

• Thanks 4

I did a big buy in 20\11\2020. Im spanish and i bougth it at a spanish store. Almost all came in one week, but the box of sister of the thorn no.

I called to the store and they told me that wasnt his fault that gw didnt send it. Then i waited waited.......today more than two months after and my sisters are lost yet.

I called again,they told me that gw told them that the sisters were lost in any place betwen england and spain and that in 10 days they gonna send it again.

So i guess i gonna wait 3 months or more for a simple box lol

• Sad 1

On 1/31/2021 at 2:59 AM, Doko said:

I did a big buy in 20\11\2020. Im spanish and i bougth it at a spanish store. Almost all came in one week, but the box of sister of the thorn no.

I called to the store and they told me that wasnt his fault that gw didnt send it. Then i waited waited.......today more than two months after and my sisters are lost yet.

I called again,they told me that gw told them that the sisters were lost in any place betwen england and spain and that in 10 days they gonna send it again.

So i guess i gonna wait 3 months or more for a simple box lol

There are lots of parcels both in europe and also in the UK awaiting customs clearance for over a month now.

As it stands (This may change very soon):

Importing in to the UK :

Unless the company has signed up to the HMRC portal and collects the tax on their behalf at source, then the package will be held up in customs and import duty and Tax will be applied.

There is a customs threshold currently of 135gbp and anything over that will incur tax on the whole amount.

One thing to note:

The import duty is applied to the whole amount inclusive of it's shipping cost. Price declared + shipping + Duty = New total import.

The VAT is then applied to that new total import.

If you haven't specified a specific courier such as DHL / UPS etc, or the handling company doesn't have a UK equivalent or sent via USPS or other national postal service it will by default be handled by Royal Mail / Parcelforce.  If this happens they will charge you a handling fee of 10 -12gbp for the privilege of taking the payment from you and handing it over at the door.

Pe prepared at potentially  expecting a bill to land of anything up to 25-30% of the item value. once all fees and charges are taken into account.

Exporting outside of the UK.

In theory now any company based in the UK selling to a foreign country should be giving you the product less local uk sales tax. This will then leave you the buyer with a customs bill when it lands in your native country.

If youa re charged 20% VAT here in the UK you may well be charged again on receipt if the business doesn't use a tax intermediary such as the Pitney bowes scenario that EBay uses for the movement of products out of the USA.

Everything going overseas now must have a customs declaration filled out.  The package can be returned on grounds of insufficient or incorrect declaration, so it's not enough now to fill out the declaration with "jumper" it must contain what material it is as there will be separate taxation classes for them.  If the declaration is not clear enough to clearly fulfil the duty categories then the package may well be opened to inspect the contents - at either border.

It's not an ideal situation and it's hurting many people at the moment, so personally I'd hold off from buying until maybe the second quarter, only because then hopefully things should be returning back to normal with regards to the speed of delivery and also the paperwork and clarification of costs side of things.

For Foreign buyers

It might well be worth establishing a friendship with someone on the community who can buy here in the UK on your behalf and ship to you.  Naturally they won't be able to get the tax free price and you may find that even something with a 25% discount, once over on your country's shores will get slammed with the tax to kill the amount you thought/ hoped to save.

The only other way around it is to have it sent as a gift of negligible value, but you as the buyer then must carry the risk of not being fully compensated fully due to loss or damage should anything happen.

There are lots of good shipping companies who can offer decent rates - I generally use interparcel to send packages both in the Uk and  abroad.

There are ways around it, but at this point in time, inbound or outbound, don't expect anything to be quick.  I've been waiting for a package for a month now which would normally have taken ten days max. from Italy.

• Thanks 1

I purchased something december 31st from Wayland, and that doesn't seem to go well. Everything was in stock and allocated, I received an email a week ago that it was sorted and would be shipping soon, but now one item is no longer allocated to my order.

So I have gone a step backward in the process instead of forward.

• Sad 1