AoS feels like neglacted child?

Nizrah

Do you feel the same way as i feel? Recents rumours tells that new edition have been postponed to q4 2021 or even q2 of 2022. I know that covid hit them hard but the amount of books they throw up for 40k is disgusting. They really should balance it between aos and 40k. As a stormcast player i really doesnt feel any want to play anymore when i knew that i have to wait another year or more to replace my very bad book. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 12
  • LOVE IT! 1

Ehm...broken realms morathi, giants, lumineth, shadow and pain, hedonites slaanesh stuff, more coming for sure...so no i dont think so personally...but they have released and previewed quite a lot even tho its not the stormcast u want.

And gw may have been hit hard in terms of their plans, on the other hand im pretty sure they financially had a great time with all covid hobbyists

This feels a bit like a troll post.

Furthermore as an edit, i am a player and hobbyist who came back after years of break. Theres a few nice aos communities and people, but this supposedly big aos forum has so much negativity..every day the same complainers about GW selling and release strategy, the I want bretonnia back whiners and why does my army not get more my life is so difficult because of this and i want more horses for my army so now i feel neglected mimimimi, and constant other things that come back every thread i wonder if people shouldnt just get a different hobby where u can play 1 model and have no releases and just be happy.

Edited by ChillTuup
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

I think it is someone frustrated with a bad book.

This is an issue with the way GW has been updating factions since the beginning. The game, and even hobby side, are more fun if you collect multiple factions. This is because GW rotates the spotlight and it can be very disappointing when your army does t have it. From no new models on many years to bad rules.

Now, since GW tends to have faction bloat, the rotations take forever.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nizrah said:

Do you feel the same way as i feel? Recents rumours tells that new edition have been postponed to q4 2021 or even q2 of 2022. I know that covid hit them hard but the amount of books they throw up for 40k is disgusting. They really should balance it between aos and 40k. As a stormcast player i really doesnt feel any want to play anymore when i knew that i have to wait another year or more to replace my very bad book. 

We don’t even know a new edition is coming, past (admittedly fairly compelling) speculation, let alone when it’s coming or if it’s moved at all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt Effect said:

Can I ask where you have seen these rumours? I'm struggling to find anything concrete that a new edition is coming.  However, If we get a new edition I'm sure Stormcast will be the first army to get a new book. 

The Warhammer Weekly podcast speculated about this. I would not call this a rumour, though. They have no inside info or anything like that. It was more like:

With the delays we know are happening due to Covid and Brexit, like the slowed-down release schedule of Q1, and since the release of a new edition would need to be tied to the narrative of Broken Realms, a delay of the next edition to 2022 would make sense. They can't rush the narrative, those books are likely partially printed already. And they have been significantly delayed: The first rumour engines featuring new Hedonites are from March of last year. Since GW's fiscal year starts in June (I think?), they like to do their big releases around that time. They can't do AoS 3.0 this June, so doing it next year would make sense.I

EDIT: Forgot to say, this is all in no way indicative of neglect of AoS. It's just regular corporate scheduling stuff.

Edited by Neil Arthur Hotep

2 hours ago, Matt Effect said:

Can I ask where you have seen these rumours? I'm struggling to find anything concrete that a new edition is coming.  

Educated speculation really. GW now seems to putting out new editions in three year cycles at the beginning of the Summer. Pretty much everybody predicted 40k 9th would land in Summer 2020 and it did, so it seems unlikely AoS would be much different beyond perhaps it being delayed due to Covid.

I mean the only reason AoS feels hard done by after 2020 is because of Covid. AoS was going to get two brand new armies in the first half of the year which both got delayed. Based on the way warcry came out I suspect Slaanesh was going to launch in the latter half of the year after a middle of the year dominated with the 40K new edition - heck even there Marines and Necrons had to wait over a month to get codex releases. That would have had us hitting Christmas with at least Slaanesh, Lumineth and Gargants being big updates with potentially the new year heralding new Lumineth kits and more. And those are the things we are aware of, there might well have been more in the pipe line that got delayed and pushed around.

AoS is far from the neglected child, it just didn't have a big New Edition year. Don't forget when 2.0 launched Stormcast and Nighthaunt got big updates too. 

Heck if anything I'd say AoS is doing better than 40K right now. It has a working army builder program; it has more factions; it has better support for those factions in terms of lore and models in general. AoS is doing really well for itself and is flying high.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't think thats the case at all- Covid slowing the release pattern down and it being a 40k new edition year have distorted things a little but AoS is way more interesting and diverse- Broken Realms looks to be a really interesting series [much better than Psychic Awakening ], AoS has 2 supporting smaller systems  In Warcry and Underworlds. 40k are slogging their way through Marine updates [although the Necron range looks amazing]. AoS is[to my eyes]in away better place with real quality releases and great variety. They might not push back the next edition either- they didn't for 40k, releasing it during a pandemic - a new edition is years of work and also gives a games system a new uplift so GW might not want to shift it. Then again production might be interrupted so they might not have a choice but I wouldn't fret about it and the Broken Realms books look like they are going to freshen things up in the meantime..

• Like 2

GW was right on top of the new edition for Indomitus - chances are the cardstock was already ordered for the box by the time lockdowns started happening. So they were committed to that plan from probably the start of the year and couldn't back down. AoS IF it has or had a new edition this year has given GW a period o time during corona where everything has been messed up so they are likely in a much more robust position to consider pausing it. 

Of course there might be issues if they go through 2021 releasing multiple new battletomes that have 2.5 or 3.0 mechanics in them for an edition which isn't out yet. So there's that to consider which might mean they are locked into a release pattern. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Overread said:

GW was right on top of the new edition for Indomitus - chances are the cardstock was already ordered for the box by the time lockdowns started happening. So they were committed to that plan from probably the start of the year and couldn't back down. AoS IF it has or had a new edition this year has given GW a period o time during corona where everything has been messed up so they are likely in a much more robust position to consider pausing it. 

Of course there might be issues if they go through 2021 releasing multiple new battletomes that have 2.5 or 3.0 mechanics in them for an edition which isn't out yet. So there's that to consider which might mean they are locked into a release pattern. 

Plus, Indomitus sold better than expected, to the point they got tied up prducing it Made to Order for a while.

3 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Plus, Indomitus sold better than expected, to the point they got tied up prducing it Made to Order for a while.

Aye and that likely had its own impacts on production as well, though it was  a very good turn from GW to do it. 

AoS gets better releases by default just because 90% of the stuff coming out isn't Marines... or should I say, Stormcast. I don't find my eyes (pre-emptively) rolling every time I open a reveal wondering, "gee what does the Imperium/Primaris get this quarter?"

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

There's definitely things I'd change but overall it feels like a pretty well and loved child. 

Yes it is discouraging to see a new tome drop for factions desperately in need of model updates or some new tools and only seeing faction terrain and endless spells that'll just sit on the shelf.

Yes I am tired of aelves, used to be aelves,  new mutant aelves, and aelven enemy gods but these things only tire me because I do not play those factions.  

I am a destruction player first and foremost, death a close second place.

Things will come for me and my fellow enthusiasts and the Rona didnt help but overall it's a fun hobby. 

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

The Warhammer Weekly podcast speculated about this. I would not call this a rumour, though. They have no inside info or anything like that. It was more like:

With the delays we know are happening due to Covid and Brexit, like the slowed-down release schedule of Q1, and since the release of a new edition would need to be tied to the narrative of Broken Realms, a delay of the next edition to 2022 would make sense. They can't rush the narrative, those books are likely partially printed already. And they have been significantly delayed: The first rumour engines featuring new Hedonites are from March of last year. Since GW's fiscal year starts in June (I think?), they like to do their big releases around that time. They can't do AoS 3.0 this June, so doing it next year would make sense.I

EDIT: Forgot to say, this is all in no way indicative of neglect of AoS. It's just regular corporate scheduling stuff.

Nothing is stopping GW from releasing AoS and 40k in the same months either. If we're only seeing 1 40k release a month, and they're doing releases every other week, then they can still slot AoS into Q1 with no problem.

1 minute ago, Fulkes said:

Nothing is stopping GW from releasing AoS and 40k in the same months either. If we're only seeing 1 40k release a month, and they're doing releases every other week, then they can still slot AoS into Q1 with no problem.

Whatever caused them to switch to the slower release in Q1 is presumably stopping them from getting AoS out as fast as they originally planned (presumably the bottle neck is their factory not running at full capacity). But I think Hedonites in February after Death Guard are out of the way is a pretty safe bet.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

There's definitely things I'd change but overall it feels like a pretty well and loved child. 

Yes it is discouraging to see a new tomes drop for factions desperately in need of model updates or some new tools and only seeing faction terrain and endless spells that'll just sit on the shelf.

Yes I am tired of aelves, used to be aelves,  new mutant aelves, and aelven enemy gods but these things only tire me because I do not play those factions.  

I am a destruction player first and foremost, death a close second place.

Thongs will come for me and my fellow enthusiasts and the Rona didnt help but overall it's a fun hobby. 

We know Death has something coming, and I feel like people are exaggerating the elf releases way too much. One new model for DoK and one new army in Lumineth (who got the only elf release of 2020) who got delayed upwards to 6 months and look to be only getting some Broken Realms addition of a couple warscrolls.

Destruction got one of the 5 books for 2020, and three books in 2019, not to count the extra rules Gits got in the last few White Dwarf issues so it's not like they're exactly being ignored (plus, as I said elsewhere we don't know what Broken Realms will have yet, it's too early to be making sweeping claims of what's coming).

I know 2020 felt a decade long, but we only got 5 books during it, and only one of those books was Aelf related. Chill out people.

Edited by Fulkes
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

Whatever caused them to switch to the slower release in Q1 is presumably stopping them from getting AoS out as fast as they originally planned (presumably the bottle neck is their factory not running at full capacity). But I think Hedonites in February after Death Guard are out of the way is a pretty safe bet.

If I understand the problem it seems to be more shipping related. Things are really back up in the ports in Britain.

It seems pretty clear Corona messed up their timeline significantly, and they chose to prioritize 40k, both because it's their cash cow and because they had a new edition already scheduled that they couldn't or wouldn't back down from.

I think it would have been better from a "game" point of  view to put 40k on ice for a year and focus on AOS instead - 40k was in a better place to do that than AoS - but it was never going to happen because of business reasons. 

It's definitely well loved and even more so at times.

I can't find it but in 2019 someone posted a AoS vs 40k releases pie chart on reddit. It was a 50-50 split.

And as a Stormcast player and huge fan I don't see any big problem with our battletome. Sure it made us "shootcast" but we got everything we need and are a mid-tier army that can top tournaments even now. More stuff is coming, no need to rush so everyone can get a piece of the pie.

We're all in a pretty great spot everything considered.

(Also yeah, aelves do need a bit more love despite the opinions. Deepkin need a update with Endless spells and I think we'd all love a Kurnothi tome :D )

Edited by Baron Klatz
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Baron Klatz said:

It's definitely well loved and even more so at times.

I can't find it but in 2019 someone posted a AoS vs 40k releases pie chart on reddit. It was a 50-50 split.

And as a Stormcast player and huge fan I don't see any problem with our battletome. Sure it made us "shootcast" but we got everything we need and are a mid-tier army that can top tournaments even now. More stuff is coming, no need to rush so everyone can get a piece of the pie.

We're in a pretty great spot everything considered.

(Also yeah, aelves do need a bit more love despite the opinions. Deepkin need a update with Endless spells and I think we'd all love a Kurnothi tome :D )

Biggest issue for SCE is internal balance and the deepstrike mechanic that's negated by some missions, but the new Morathi stuff helps with both.

• Like 2

Since I joined in early 2018 I haven't got this impression at all.
There were often new Models to discover and AoS even entered a new edition with Significant changes. Since then I always viewed it that way that the two game Systems (AoS and 40k) can benefit from each other and maybe GW will occasionaly try out different Game mechanics.
In a way Bonereapers still feel like yesterday to me and the new realeases are only getting better in my opinion. AoS feels loved 🥰

In some ways it still needs to "find" its identity but we are gettig there.

I was a bit salty and bitter about the changes GW took inthe beginning but now as new realeases are rolling out and the new design choices start to take over, you can see the work that has gone into it and appreciate it.

• Like 1

Just now, Vasshpit said:

I thought my post was pretty chill. 

I'll drop it down a notch for the pointy eared among us. 😝😄

There has been a lot of salt recently about some imagined flood of elf releases, even aimed at Deepkin (who got their first and only update since 2018 via Morathi) and honestly it's starting to sound like the complaints of the entitled to be honest. No one race (other than arguably humans since they're in all the Chaos, SCE, and CoS books) has gotten a disproportionate amount of releases in 2nd edition and honestly making up things like "elves are getting too many releases" is just silly.

I get it, we all want more. Problem is 2020 was a slower release cycle for us thanks to Covid so GW is stuck playing catch up for stuff we should have seen months ago. Give them time to catch up, let's see what Broken Realms has before we start pointing fingers about armies getting neglected and be cool to each other.