Black Coach

Dojotoad

Question

I'm not a gamer but an aspiring mini-painter. I want to create a diorama centered on the Black Coach with yet to be determined 'forces of good' setting up a barricade for an ambush. The reason I'm here is I don't know the rules and would like to follow them if possible.

From the GW website I know the Coach can fly, but I was planning to use an Alarith Stone Mage to keep it down. One of the mage's abilities is to mess with gravity and prevent flying - but will that work with a spectral entity in the AoS universe? Does a barricade even make sense?

What would be the best troops to counter an Undead convoy. Thanks in advance for any input.

7 answers to this question

From a rules point of view, the Stone mage's Gravitic Redirection does stop the target from flying.

Another rules based option for preventing fly could be Idoneth Deepkin, Isharann Ritual of the Tempest. Would need a Soulscryer, Soulrender, Tidecaster or Lotann.

I'm sure there are other models which can prevent fly, but generally speaking for a diorama the only rule that matters is rule of cool so go for it!

Some more details will probably help.   Vanari Wardens manning the barricade with their sunmetal spears.  Sisters of the Watch attacking from elevation with mystical bows.  Stormsire Cursebreakers - figured Voidstorm scrolls, spirit flask, and Blessed Banishment would help counter dark magic. Probably skip the stone mage. 

Any additional feedback?

Is this a rules question or a fluff question? At any rate, appropriately warded fortifications can block Nighthaunt from moving through them. And there is circumstantial evidence to suggest NH have trouble simultaneously attacking and moving through solid objects, presumably because their weapons need to be solid when they hit the enemy.

So a coach charging a barricade makes sense, even a warded one. The other option of a diagonal or vertical charge would mean trying to hit the Order forces and phase through the ground at the same time. Further, bar the heroes NH are not exactly fully-concious as we would consider a sentient being to be. They are more like constructs, given that so much of what once made them a person (who was, in almost all cases, dysfunctional or insane at the time of death) has been stripped away. The wraith driving the coach is unlikely to consider or care about the tactical viability in charging a manned barricade head-on. But given he was a psychopathic murderer in life and is charged with an absolute hatred of the living in death, he is very likely to do it.

Long story short; your diorama is justified fluff-wise and you should totally go for it.