Piling in: More than one "closest model"

T10

Question

I see some people play it the way that if a model is in gas contact with two enemy models he cannot move to pile in. I can't really see this supported by the rules:

Each model must finish its pile-in move at least as close to the nearest enemy model as it was at the start of the move.

The Piling In rules do not specifically address the situation where there are more than one enemy model that is equally near, which is the case when there a model is in base contact with multiple enemy models. Usually in WH40k, the spiritual brother of AoS, when you need figure out the nearest model or unit and there is more than one candidate the player that is doing stuff picks one of them rather than applying the whatever rule is involved to all of them. This situation in AoS seems very similar: The text of the restriction on pile does refer to "the nearest enemy model", singular.

Have I missed something here?

2 answers to this question

It's clarified further in FAQ, so 2 models in B2B contact indeed block movement

Q: When one of my models piles in, if it is equally close to two different enemy models, do I have to finish the move as close or closer to each of those models? For example, if my model is in base contact with two enemy models, does it have to finish a pile-in move in base contact with both those models?

A: Yes to both questions – if this is impossible the model cannot move.