Dreddships

Hello,

2021 brings with it a new year - and sadly one in this covid hellworld we are living in - so let's get a bit of positivity going.

A new year means resolutions - and that means not only can we all swear (and fail) to get back exercising to work off our christmas dinner - but also hobby resolutions. 

To those willing to take up the offer, I present an offer - hobby resolutions for new armies.

What army are you looking forward to forging in the next year? What projects have you put off for too long that will give you joy that you want to start?

Now is the chance. 

Comment your goal - your ideas, stories, models, factions - and let us all revel in delight.

I myself am taking a trip to the dark side and taking on a pledge that - by this time next year - I will have at least 1000 points of painted models for each of the factions within the Grand Alliance Chaos. 

Good luck - and happy hobbying.

• Like 4
  • LOVE IT! 1

Not exactly a new army for the new year, as I got started on painting it at the end of November/start of December, and had been collecting the kits a while before that, but I am looking forward to making progress on my Ossiarch Bonereapers. I've found they are well suited to Contrast paints and am speeding along with them much fast and with better quality than I have on pretty much any other army previously. As such, I think I really could get them fully painted and finished next year, probably not too far into things.

My goal is to have all 52 models of my current list painted by about halfway into the year. It's a very generous deadline, but I have had a lot of trouble with painting commitments before, so I'm hoping that giving myself some flex room will help with the pressure. If I see previews for Soulblight, Shadow Aelves, or a second wave of Lumineth, that'll be a nice secondary goal as well!

• Like 2

This year, I started painting Daughters of Khaine, and finished 9 witch elves, 3 sisters of slaughter, 1 melusai and 4 khinerai in 5 months. I intend to keep the pace and finish a small playable force by next June by finishing:

1 more witch elf

7 more sisters of slaughter

1 more khinerai

5 melusai

Morgwaeth and remaining blade coven models.

Then I will work on my 2 Cauldrons and hopefully finish them and another 10 witch elves by end of 2021! Stoked.

• Like 1

So I have a 2000 point army ready for the new year as I have a BCR army that I recently acquired through a process of trades.

However, I am also in the market for an Order army. One of my friend's collects Cities of Sigmar and another is keenly interested in Sylvaneth. I have been toying with getting the KO battleforce (but some other friends are thinking the same), I am also really interested in Lumineth but there is no easy in roads for collecting the army currently. I assume that my Order army will be put on the back burner until I am done my Ogors... which could take quite a bit of time! Also Slaanesh is very, very tempting!

• Like 3

Rigth now i have  around 4k points of citys of sigmar,dwarfs and magues that i run as tempest eye or hallowhearth.

I plan getting drycha and a silvaneth starter to play living city.

Also i want add a dark elf starter to my 20 darkshards and two black dragons to play anvilguard.

Finnally end my 2000 points of fyreslayer.

Too much plans when i am a slow builder but who knows

• Like 1

I'm one miniature left from finishing painting the Silver Tower box, my next project is to finally play Age of Sigmar (was playing warcry before lockdown) and have an army to play at the end on 2021.

1000 pts of Idoneth to assemble and paint (which i got for christmas): 2 allopexes, 1 akhelian king, 1 tidecaster, 10 namarti thrall and 2 x 3 akhelian guard.

I'm still not sure about the paint scheme yet ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This year was pretty bad when it comes to painting (and some other things I believe) - I have managed to paint only Archaon and 2 (out of 6) Varanguard knights. Generally, I dedicated much less of my time to painting. For the new year, I will finish the rest of the Varanguard (obviously) and try to paint some more Sylvaneth (I am expanding my army with some models in a different colour scheme). Everything beyond that would be a great bonus.

• Like 1

I only play all things Tzeentch (I also collect Thousand Sons but don't play 40k often), so I'll continue with just building and painting Tzeentch stuff (I'm very slow... and purposeful). 😎

If they'd release an update to the Seraphon or Skaven mini range, I could go for a little side-project though like maybe a warband or something.

• Like 1

I painted around 2500 points of Legions of Nagash last year, so that's good. However, I still need to paint about 50 skeletons of different types next year to finish the army, so that's less fun. I feel pretty confident that I will manage it, though.

After that, I'm going all in for my Cities of sigmar side project. Or maybe vampires if we get a cool vampire army this year.

• Like 2

My goal this year was to have a full 2k army in each GA, painted and based and all that. I certainly didn't expect the year to deliver QUITE so much free time for painting, but it's safe to say I blew that goal out of the water.

This year, my goal is that, by Dec 2021, I have every bit of grey plastic I owned at a tabletop standard. Hopefully that will keep me away from new factions for a bit and give us some more factions to show off in battle reports.

• Like 2

I'm rebasing and painting up the WHFB Ogre army I shelved close to a decade ago. I tried AoS on launch and was sorely disappointed, so it's great to see that the game has now evolved into something better. While I miss rank-and-flank gameplay, from a painting/project perspective I much prefer individually based, individually significant models. Looking forward to having at least a 1K force ready in a couple months.

• Like 2

So my New Years resolution is to finish painting my army of necrons, over half way done. 

Then go paint my IDK army. No real theme except going for water effect bases.

I also have a large army of OBR I want to build and paint with either a null myriad theme or a traditional samurai look. Either way I’m going for a zen garden and cherry blossom landscape with a gold repair style katakros.

I also have a few bits of SCE I want to build and paint with a dark steel and teal cloth look, not too finalised on that yet.

Finally I have some Sylvaneth bits too which is far down the backlog. I’m likely going to be adding and adding more than I can keep up with but oh well. If they don’t release any new bits for existing armies I have or dark elves then I’m unlikely to start anymore new armies.

hope everyone had a good Xmas!! 

• Like 1

In 2020 I painted a full 75 point army for Warmachine before the Lumineth seized my attention and demanded that I procure and paint the army of my dreams. Thus far I am almost done with my first 1000 points, and hope to complete all variants of 2000 points that I want to play (about 2500 in all). After that, I'm going to go back and pick up where I left off painting my Warhammer Fantasy Waaagh!. 

• LOVE IT! 1

Instead of picking up a new army my resolution is to actually finish one!

I don’t think I’ve ever actually finished a whole army, I’ve got plenty at 2K and my complete bonereapers are closer to 5K but I always have a load of unfinished models for a faction before the next new shiny wins... So 2021 will be the year that I’m actually going to finish one, or hopefully two with my Bonereapers and Daughters. 

Remaining Bonereapers

- 6 Stalkers, just a few highlights to add

- Soulreaper

- Vokmortion

- 3 Morghast

-Converted female Liege Kavalos

Remaining DoK

- Blade Coven, just the metallics

- 20 Witches

- 2 Cauldrons

- 5 Khinerai

- 10 Blood Sisters

- Shadow Queen

Sureoy that’s all achievable in a year... I would say bonus points for finishing it all before buying any new models but we all know that isn’t gonna happen!!

• Like 1

I've almost finished my 2,000 points of Lumineth, just 6 Sentinels (archer models) missing. That's what I've been doing since the box came out in May (?). 

Next year, I plan to paint all the Alarith I've bought already: 20 Stonegard, 2 Spirts and 2 Stonemages. So that will be my first goal. I've a few other models (dawn rider, Warden, Sentinels) left to be able to build more varied lists, so those will be next. 

After that I plan to buy and paint some terrain. Or maybe I start doing them in between already.

And then of course I hope that I have to give up on those plans because the Lumineth got some great new models during Broken Realms,  like Blademasters or a Loreseeker. 

• Like 2

For me this is also going to be a year of painting. I am fairly happy with the range of models in my collection, but far too many projects got put on hold this year. 

I did though finish painting a small tyranid army for 40k, which I was so happy with that I may have gotten then some friends in the xmas battle forces. 

I also did well at putting together a comprehensive terrain set, so can now field full tables for desert, jungle and snowy conditions as well as the urban and temperate woods I did last year. I basically have as much fantasy scenery as I'm likely to need, but could maybe do with some for 40k since that's whats mostly played here. We shall see.

• Like 1

Well I've been nothing but Order armies with even more Deepkin and Stormcast strike chamber this year to compliment my army narrative.

Next year I'd like to expand to Ossiarchs and Flame Scions and fashion them both on the Realm of Fire for an invasion force against my realm of life & metal armies(plus firey bone golems that explode with flame samurai mercs would be several levels of awesome. :D )

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 7:26 PM, RocketPropelledGrenade said:

Not exactly a new army for the new year, as I got started on painting it at the end of November/start of December, and had been collecting the kits a while before that, but I am looking forward to making progress on my Ossiarch Bonereapers. I've found they are well suited to Contrast paints and am speeding along with them much fast and with better quality than I have on pretty much any other army previously. As such, I think I really could get them fully painted and finished next year, probably not too far into things.

My goal is to have all 52 models of my current list painted by about halfway into the year. It's a very generous deadline, but I have had a lot of trouble with painting commitments before, so I'm hoping that giving myself some flex room will help with the pressure. If I see previews for Soulblight, Shadow Aelves, or a second wave of Lumineth, that'll be a nice secondary goal as well!

Those new Lumineth previews today lead me to think I better stay on track with the Bonereapers! If they look as good as I think they will, and include a mounted melee hero or any of the other things I really feel were missing from the Lumineth base release, I know what I'm doing next.

• Like 1

I'm committing to an army this year for AoS (maybe more than one, but that's a "we'll see" sort of thing). I've largely been a 40k player for a long time but lately I've been feeling burnt out by the game (and the saltier parts of the community) and just want to lean into the more insane stuff AoS has. 

I'm currently split between IDK, Nighthaunt and KO since they all have great models, interesting lore and some fun gimmicks, but knowing me I'll end up getting into all of them eventually, it's just picking one to start with that I can get into painting.

• Like 2