Retreat, or not retreat. That's the question

ACBelMutie

Question

The ability "Ranks of Mischievous Mirages" (Tzeentch subfaction THE HOSTS DUPLICITOUS) says " Enemy units within 3" of a HOSTS DUPLICITOUS unit cannot retreat."

The ability "Rally Back" (Ossiarch Bonereapers subfaction STALLIARCH LORDS) says " You can use this command ability in your movement phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly STALLIARCH LORDS unit that has a mount and either is wholly within 6" of a friendly Mortek Hekatos or is wholly within 12" of a friendly STALLIARCH LORDS HERO. That unit  can retreat in that phase and still charge later in the same turn, as long as it did not run."

So, if I play Tzeench versus an Ossiarch player with Stalliarch Lords subfaction, can he reatreat using 1 CP because his ability says he can retreat even if my rul says he can't?

Greetings

3 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, ACBelMutie said:

The ability "Ranks of Mischievous Mirages" (Tzeentch subfaction THE HOSTS DUPLICITOUS) says " Enemy units within 3" of a HOSTS DUPLICITOUS unit cannot retreat."

The ability "Rally Back" (Ossiarch Bonereapers subfaction STALLIARCH LORDS) says " You can use this command ability in your movement phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly STALLIARCH LORDS unit that has a mount and either is wholly within 6" of a friendly Mortek Hekatos or is wholly within 12" of a friendly STALLIARCH LORDS HERO. That unit  can retreat in that phase and still charge later in the same turn, as long as it did not run."

So, if I play Tzeench versus an Ossiarch player with Stalliarch Lords subfaction, can he reatreat using 1 CP because his ability says he can retreat even if my rul says he can't?

Greetings

What that rule means is that they can retreat and still charge later, not that he 'can' retreat or not, as normally that's always allowed, so the Tzeentch rule would prevent them from retreating. It's rules language that sets up the condition of retreating, so normally you can't retreat and then charge, but this rule is saying that you can retreat and charge.

• Thanks 1

It seems, from the phrasing, that the Rally Back  ability grants the ability to combine a Retreat and a Charge, which normally is not possible, as opposed to granting both  the ability to Retreat (which is normally possible in any case!) and then the ability to Charge.