I want to have lots of mutants in my army, which faction should I choose?

EntMan

I'm posting here because I assume the answer is most likely to be a Chaos faction.

Basically, I like to kitbash and I like to make mutants. I'm mainly thinking of cosmetic mutations, things like extra heads, or extra arms, or tentacles replacing limbs, or unfeasably long necks, or heads on the end of arms. Eye stalks are another favourite. Not particularly things to change rules or attributes.

My question is which would be the best army list for me to use to allow me to fieldmy multitude of cosmetic mutants?

Well, if you're planning to do the converting yourself, Tzeentch is big into mutations, and frequently "gifts" mutations to his followers in the lore. Change is an important part of Tzeentch's motif, so mutations are plentiful in his cannon.

If you want to do less work, Nurgle is a good way to go. Lots of tentacles and similar things already there among the mortal units.

Khorne and Slaanesh tend to have less elaborate mutations. Khorne generally goes for horns and spikes, and Slaanesh prefers to shift things into the uncanny valley, though lobster claws do make appearances among their followers.

• Like 1

In a setting like AoS a lot is possible.

all the realms, except shyish is now inverted, get more crazy towards the edges as that is where magic gathers. 

so towards the edge of ghyran the life magic could become so strong that a city of sigmar could become very real freaky real fast. Where people who fall asleep next to a tree grow together into a hybrid. Where wounds overcompensate when healing and a broken leg might regrow as two new legs. And where armour made from giant beetles grows into the skin of the freeguild guard. 

You can basically do this for every realm. 

but alternatively a Skaven army would work very well. Especially with the clan moulder who’s whole existence is about mutation. That’s the basic story of the hell pit abomination and the rat ogres. Crazy rats trying to create bigger rats with mutating warpstone. And they, in the lore, do so on their lowly troops and servants as well. So you could go wild with that. 

but yeah, the choas gods are the easiest fits. But there is a lot possible. 

• Like 2

Take a tzeentch mortal list and Max out your vortex beasts + all the wizards that mutate people, it think it's the Magister, tzangor Sharman, ogroid, then grab the big bird and scribes who can copy spells.

What's more fun than playing an army of mutants? Making sure your opponent plays one too. You can make a whole load of mutant thing conversations to 'give' to your opponent to represent their troops becoming gors, horrors and spawn.

Edited by Rors
correction
  • Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 1

Thanks loads for all the info and suggestions, really helpful and I think I will be doing something Tzeentchy. I like the idea of having the wizard who can turn enemies into mutants - a great excuse for me to make mutant models of skinks, orks, Stormcasts etc.

I am also intrigued by Kramer's suggestion of people 'mutated' not by Chaos but by the powerful magic and changes to reality as you get nearer the edge of a realm. I would have thought Sigmar would frown on such things but maybe his views of Order are less harsh than those of the Emporer of Mankind. It means I can also get creative with my Living City army too.

• Like 2