Swordmasters in the Lumineth

Gorthor21

I know it is a bit of a stretch but hear me out.  I think the swordmasters are going to be making a comeback as a temple of warriors who have mastered different elements.  I assume they are going to be based around some kind of white tower type place, perhaps the tower that teclis built to buffer the necroquake.  
I make all these assumptions based on the new underworlds character Ailenn and several of the cards they have previewed on Warhammer Community today.  I think this would be really cool to see a new take on swordmasters as the jack of all trades master of none role in the faction.  I know underworlds isn’t always something you can base many future units off of but the way they presented the Slanneshi band’s characters as a preview of what is to come I felt this would be a safe assumption.

I took some screenshots of the community page I am talking about just so you can see what I am talking about here as well as a link to the wiki page about swordmasters for those who are unfamiliar.  Let me know what you think.

https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Swordmaster

12C20788-96B6-4A07-853A-144C449DB162.png

6F59B1F3-98AC-4984-8B54-77D519C51F33.png

B8607B1E-E66B-49E5-9561-45AA35633804.png

3DC538CF-6659-4BF2-A0E9-FB0ABA054178.png

If you look at the LRL book, it only covers half the continent cities and Teclis side of the land. There is still another 4 major nations, and Tyrion, who is quoted in the book as being very military based. 

So there is a high chance some of the other high elf stuff may come back when Tyrion appears. 

We have been speculating about Ailenn being a new Swordmaster model because of the symbolic (the tower picture on her sashimino and chest plate, the Hoeth symbol etc.). Hopefully that’ll happen. I’d love to see new Swordmasters. 

The article sadly didn’t mention anything. And we didn’t see Ailenn’s restricted card, or she doesn’t have one. 

The elemental cards though can be used by all four members of the Warband. Looks just like a mechanic they gave them, because a Stoneguard channelling the Wind doesn’t make much sense in the current lore, neither that a Sentinel can channel all 4.

Not as we know so far. The whole channeling the elementals doesn't fit well with what has been written in the Battletome. Vanari are just the Lumineth citizen militia and don't really have much to do with the 4 elements, much less being able to harness their powers. Zenith should be definitely out of reach for them. 

It could be explained via with the runes they are holding up in the pictures. Maybe the power is invested in those, and any Lumineth who has such a power rune can use it? Or maybe they have to be attuned to them first? Apparently those are also linked to the Aetherquartz too. 

If we are lucky, they'll mention something in the short story. It's likely they'll call on these powers in the story there. So hopefully we'll find out more.

Lumineth don't have that much lore behind them right now, so a lot of the stuff isn't set in stone. 

• Like 1

I think they do, but likely we won’t hear much of them anymore. The Eldritch Council is still mentioned in the Core Book and also in Soulbound (RPG) products, but just as name drops in comparison to the Collegiate Arcane.

And we now know what Ailenn is - a Bladelord. So the also won’t be mixed up with the Swordmasters. 

So these Bladelords arnt the spiritual inheritors of the swordmasters focus on being magic elf shaolin monks that live in an ivory mage tower?
as an aside I really miss when eltharion was a blind swordmaster.  The short story they had in the 6th edition army book.  It really made me feel for the guy.

They might be. Ailenn has this tower symbolic on her, and she is guarding a Scinari Mage in a way, so could be.

Maybe she is a unit champion and they’ll be called Blademasters or something. 

I just hope that we’ll see them again n the end. 

Tyrion might become a bit like the old blind Eltharion. He is blind after all, so they might go with a bit of a similar esthetic with him.  Would also fit with the Asian influence. 

10 hours ago, Gorthor21 said:

Would y’all say that the symbol on the right is idoneth?  I’m asking as it’s the same shade of blue as the lumineth symbol.

8D1C8792-742F-455C-A6A4-DAB480E30F9E.png

I think the only time that a single 'faction' has received two warbands in the same season was Season 1 Shadespire for both Stormcast and Blades of Khorne. Also the whole premise of season 1 was they kinda made these alternate easy to build sculpts for factions that ultimately became Shadespire.

So basically, I think it's unlikely that there would be a second Lumineth faction in this season of Shadespire.

26 minutes ago, Gorthor21 said:

Where did you see that at?

It's in the new Broken Realms story. If you have subscribed to that, it should be in your inbox. 

If not, here's the link: https://www.warhammer-community.com/broken-realms/?utm_source=CUSTOMERS&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GW_9th_December_Broken_Realms_ENG&utm_content=&utm_term=_&m_i=cNX_ybi%2BoOiLOEcfEjq5T0LwTa91DLkUS0XtTF9XXeJKr_kJyIL67xo5%2BL48y4ebEAfV37MnNP63Hoiew8n49u71xAiTvgXccI 

Yeah, I feel that Swordmasters are a given. I also think that it makes sense that they are holding off on them as I suspect that they will be bundled in the Tyrion side of the Lumineth army. I think this makes sense as they would presumably be more martially focused. When released they will of course become the difficult test to see if I can withhold from throwing on some tassels and  praising the cows. However, I think that the prospect of spindly wingéd Dark Aelves has Neverchosen written all over it.

I also feel like there will be an additional core troop option alongside the Wardens. I would love if it was an updated take on Seaguard... I also highly suspect that there will be an emphasis on cavalry in Tyrion's side of the release... but what form that takes is yet to be seen.

On 12/5/2020 at 8:45 AM, LuminethMage said:

I think they do, but likely we won’t hear much of them anymore. The Eldritch Council is still mentioned in the Core Book and also in Soulbound (RPG) products, but just as name drops in comparison to the Collegiate Arcane.

And we now know what Ailenn is - a Bladelord. So the also won’t be mixed up with the Swordmasters. 

I think an interesting position to put the Eldritch Council would be for instead of them to silently disappear into the background, would be to say they were Lumineth all along.

At the end of the day, it seems that we are going to get some new Swordmaster models sooner or later. So why not position the Eldritch Council as those Lumineth who have set up shop in the greater mortal realms, building/protecting the white towers and giving advice to the Cities of Sigmar on occasion. The short story seems to indicate that's what the Blademaster was doing, advising the people and getting caught up in the madness that is Anvilgard.

That being said, while GW have made units that work in multiple battletomes (Tzaangor having both Beasts and Tzeentch keywords), it's not something I necessarily expect. But perhaps the Eldritch Council is exactly the link that the Lumineth need to have a connection to the rest of Order factions by having a position within the Cities of Sigmar also.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

I think an interesting position to put the Eldritch Council would be for instead of them to silently disappear into the background, would be to say they were Lumineth all along.

At the end of the day, it seems that we are going to get some new Swordmaster models sooner or later. So why not position the Eldritch Council as those Lumineth who have set up shop in the greater mortal realms, building/protecting the white towers and giving advice to the Cities of Sigmar on occasion. The short story seems to indicate that's what the Blademaster was doing, advising the people and getting caught up in the madness that is Anvilgard.

That being said, while GW have made units that work in multiple battletomes (Tzaangor having both Beasts and Tzeentch keywords), it's not something I necessarily expect. But perhaps the Eldritch Council is exactly the link that the Lumineth need to have a connection to the rest of Order factions by having a position within the Cities of Sigmar also.

Oh sure, I'd be all for that, would be also great for the people who have the old models. I have a lot of them too : ). The Bladelord has a Tower of Hoeth rune on them, and also a tower symbol on their chest plate, so there likely will be a new Tower of Hoeth (or even a re-incarnation of the old one, because it existed also outside of the World-That-Was). So they could do something like that, but I doubt it, from the lore background we have so far. But that could change. 

The Phoenix Temple also would make a lot of sense as a Lumineth-affiliated faction. They originate from Hysh, their symbol is the same as the Hyshian Sun Spirit, and they behave very similar to the 4 aelimentiri temples they introduced for the Lumineth. But sadly they weren't even mentioned in the Lumineth BT. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gorthor21 said:

I was under the impression that teclis  built a tower that buffered the realm of Hysh from the necroquake.

According to the Lumineth BT, the Lumineth built Aetherquartz structures all over the Hysh which did that. It wasn’t one central tower. Maybe it was one tower in an earlier product. But this tower could turn out to be something like that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

According to the Lumineth BT, the Lumineth built Aetherquartz structures all over the Hysh which did that. It wasn’t one central tower. Maybe it was one tower in an earlier product. But this tower could turn out to be something like that. 

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2020 at 10:47 PM, Gorthor21 said:

I know it is a bit of a stretch but hear me out.  I think the swordmasters are going to be making a comeback as a temple of warriors who have mastered different elements.  I assume they are going to be based around some kind of white tower type place, perhaps the tower that teclis built to buffer the necroquake.  
I make all these assumptions based on the new underworlds character Ailenn and several of the cards they have previewed on Warhammer Community today.  I think this would be really cool to see a new take on swordmasters as the jack of all trades master of none role in the faction.  I know underworlds isn’t always something you can base many future units off of but the way they presented the Slanneshi band’s characters as a preview of what is to come I felt this would be a safe assumption.

I took some screenshots of the community page I am talking about just so you can see what I am talking about here as well as a link to the wiki page about swordmasters for those who are unfamiliar.  Let me know what you think.

https://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Swordmaster

Kudos!

Screenshot_20210206-144640.png.fcda817c80891bb695796e352bcfcfb6.png

• Thanks 1