Khorne to Darkness?

RaritanAnon

Been out of the game since about the time of the Ossiarch release. Unfamiliar with the meta, not super caring too much since I only play with friends. Just a preface. 

I recently got the Goreblade Warband or whatever, start collecting Khorne, as a trade. I love the models and the old school chaos warriors + marauders aesthetic. On thinking this, I remembered STD got newish models too. But then I ran into a dilemma. 

Do you guys think would be wise to mix Slaves to Darkness and Khorne together? Seems like a Skull Crushers and Knights kind of fill the same purpose and so do Chaos  Warriors and Blood Warriors. I also just adore the Karkadrac model so he's going in my Khorne army either way. 

Most of the other STD models are either too faction focused, stinking wizards, or very old models that don't look great, but I'm sure there's a handful useful for mixing too. It just kinda seems like Khorne has its bases covered and I don't *need to* mix. On the other hand, I don't have a serious investment with Khorne either way. 

Pictured is my Khorne color scheme, which I think will look ace over warriors too. 

IMG_20201130_222750~2.jpg

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

Been out of the game since about the time of the Ossiarch release. Unfamiliar with the meta, not super caring too much since I only play with friends. Just a preface. 

I recently got the Goreblade Warband or whatever, start collecting Khorne, as a trade. I love the models and the old school chaos warriors + marauders aesthetic. On thinking this, I remembered STD got newish models too. But then I ran into a dilemma. 

Do you guys think would be wise to mix Slaves to Darkness and Khorne together? Seems like a Skull Crushers and Knights kind of fill the same purpose and so do Chaos  Warriors and Blood Warriors. I also just adore the Karkadrac model so he's going in my Khorne army either way. 

Most of the other STD models are either too faction focused, stinking wizards, or very old models that don't look great, but I'm sure there's a handful useful for mixing too. It just kinda seems like Khorne has its bases covered and I don't *need to* mix. On the other hand, I don't have a serious investment with Khorne either way.

Well you definitely don't need to mix the two, but there are a few slaves units that I've found work really well in khorne. The warshrine is pretty incredible when paired with the skull altar and is key if you're going to include any other slaves units. It can also hit surprisingly hard if it gets a few buffs. I know the models are really old, but marauders are massively better then any existing khorne infantry right now. They hit like absolute freight trains. Knights are actually fairly different from skullcrushers since they're a fair bit faster and the lances can do a lot more damage, but really need some buffs. They're certainly worth considering as an addition. The khorne Daemon Prince has a killer command ability and there are a number of artefacts and a command trait that work really well on him. Finally Archaon can be absolutely devastating in khorne and is definitely worth a look. He works the best when you stack buffs on him, and no one stacks buffs like khorne. 

Love the paint job by the way, what colors did you use for the gold?

Edited by Grimrock
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Well you definitely don't need to mix the two, but there are a few slaves units that I've found work really well in khorne. The warshrine is pretty incredible when paired with the skull altar and is key if you're going to include any other slaves units. It can also hit surprisingly hard if it gets a few buffs. I know the models are really old, but marauders are massively better then any existing khorne infantry right now. They hit like absolute freight trains. Knights are actually fairly different from skullcrushers since they're a fair bit faster and the lances can do a lot more damage, but really need some buffs. They're certainly worth considering as an addition. The khorne Daemon Prince has a killer command ability and there are a number of artefacts and a command trait that work really well on him. Finally Archaon can be absolutely devastating in khorne and is definitely worth a look. He works the best when you stack buffs on him, and no one stacks buffs like khorne. 

Love the paint job by the way, what colors did you use for the gold?

Yeah but the second I start adding in a warshrine and slapping in marauders for battleline, what's the point of Khorne? It seems a bit silly. And I hate the marauder models. Daemon princes are a no brainer inclusion imo, and I agree on knights being more of a shock cavalry and juggernauts being more of a tanky version. 

I think it boils down to me really liking the new models, but not so much the STD army. But I don't know. 

And thanks! It's snakebite over metallic silvers. I drybrushed it up from leadbelcher to Runefang steel basically. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RaritanAnon said:

Yeah but the second I start adding in a warshrine and slapping in marauders for battleline, what's the point of Khorne? It seems a bit silly. And I hate the marauder models. Daemon princes are a no brainer inclusion imo, and I agree on knights being more of a shock cavalry and juggernauts being more of a tanky version. 

I think it boils down to me really liking the new models, but not so much the STD army. But I don't know. 

And thanks! It's snakebite over metallic silvers. I drybrushed it up from leadbelcher to Runefang steel basically. 

Cool, I thought there might be a leather color in there. Looks really good.  

I have found that mixing Khorne and Slaves is definitely stronger since you can get the best of both worlds, and when I mix I prefer the khorne allegiance since it has a few big benefits. The prayers are great, the sub factions can be really compelling, the tithe table is rock solid, and the skull altar + warshrine is just too good. Like you said though khorne has more than enough parts that you could collect it for ages and never really feel the need to grab slaves stuff. I collected khorne for a couple years and always liked a few StD models, but even then I only bought into them once the new book dropped. Really just do whatever makes you happy. Khorne is a great faction to play.

7 minutes ago, Grimrock said:

Cool, I thought there might be a leather color in there. Looks really good.  

I have found that mixing Khorne and Slaves is definitely stronger since you can get the best of both worlds, and when I mix I prefer the khorne allegiance since it has a few big benefits. The prayers are great, the sub factions can be really compelling, the tithe table is rock solid, and the skull altar + warshrine is just too good. Like you said though khorne has more than enough parts that you could collect it for ages and never really feel the need to grab slaves stuff. I collected khorne for a couple years and always liked a few StD models, but even then I only bought into them once the new book dropped. Really just do whatever makes you happy. Khorne is a great faction to play.

Its just on a 'do i like the model' basis, and less 'do i like how the model plays', I guess. I loved the old chaos warriors back when I was interested in WHFB so thats what I was thinking. I saw that the Warshrine only buffs 'Slaves to Darkness' stuff, now, so do you just use him as a big priest, in a Khorne army?

1 hour ago, RaritanAnon said:

Its just on a 'do i like the model' basis, and less 'do i like how the model plays', I guess. I loved the old chaos warriors back when I was interested in WHFB so thats what I was thinking. I saw that the Warshrine only buffs 'Slaves to Darkness' stuff, now, so do you just use him as a big priest, in a Khorne army?

Yeah pretty much. Even if you're running him alone he can still buff himself with the undivided prayer, and when he goes in re-rolling all hits and wounds with 1-2 extra attacks per weapon he can do a lot of damage. Plus he's a totem so he can give an extra attack to nearby blood reavers.  That being said he's much better with a unit of StD nearby. 

Warriors can definitely still work in Khorne, they're similar to blood warriors but not too similar. They're more defensive  by default and work really well with a bronzed flesh buff on them as they'll end up with a 3+ rerollable save until they drop below ten models. If you go with great weapons instead of shields and buff them up (for example the undivided buff, a bloodsecrator, and killing frenzy) they can absolutely do work. Actually I think that's what I like best about Khorne and Slaves together, Khorne can pretty much make anything with the mark of Khorne work as long as you build for it. It's fun to dig up the synergies and see if you can actually get them to function on the table.

Edited by Grimrock

As others have said slotting StD units into a BoK army can work very well, and in some cases actually work better than their BoK "counterparts".

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak with Hew the Foe & Gorecleaver is an absolute blender and hands down the best use of him now Malign Sorcery artefacts have been abolished. 

Chaos Lord is obviously good if you're taking StD units for his command ability.

Khorne StD Damon Princes can also be pretty killy and its command ability is an very nice piece of battlefield control for Khorne. 

Chaos Warriors in units of 15+ make for great anvils (especially with Bronzed Flesh) that can actually have some punch.

Chaos Knights with lances are absolutely devastating on the charge with only a couple  of easy to apply buffs.

Marauders are unfortunately your best choice for mass infantry with a unit of 40 being able to put out some really nice damage. But I can see not liking them for the aesthetic, but that depends on your attitude towards 3rd party alternatives as there are quite a few nice looking and affordable options. 

Finally the Warshrine is fantastic with having it's own prayer and a Blood Blessing that can both be re-rolled by the Skull Altar, being a Totem and projecting a 6++ to StD units.  

And with all of this quite a few of the best Khorne buffs are available to all, or just limited to Mortals. Bloodsecrator, Wrathmongers, Blood Blessings, Blood Tithe rewards, Bloodstokers, Goretide ability. All able to be used by StD units together with the buffs and abilities they can bring with them. Overall I'd say it's the most competitive way to run BoK outside of Bloodlords/Tyrants of Blood now.