Direction of bases / gamesmanship

MightyMetro

Question

I have a monster on an oval base.  All official photos and the build instructions suggest the model should face to a thin end of the base (like the top of an upright egg).  However,  the model comfortable fits on the base, without over hangs, while looking at the fat edge of the base.  I plan to use the monster for defensive blocking and think i could create a better area of denial with the base positioned sideways. 

Objectively, i believe this is fine in the rules.  I mean there is no rule that my model cant be rotated during combat so they aren't looking an opponent in the eye.

Subjectively, I wonder whether modelling choice would be seen as planned gamesmanship.   I don't want to be seen as that guy.

Any thoughts?

6 answers to this question

As far as I am aware there is no rule to say a model has to face a certain direction in combat (or at any other time). My experience is that people do indeed position their models in such a way as to get the maximum impact from them, no matter which way the model is 'facing'.
In lore-terms, the fighters aren't static anyway - a large creature would move the bulk of its body around for full combat effectiveness, swinging and swaying this way and that as it fights. In game-terms, you are playing by the rules as written.
Whether all opponents believe you are playing by the spirit of the law, rather than just the letter of the law... well that will be on a person-by-person basis but as far as I have experienced , virtually everyone does it and I can't see it being an issue. 

• Like 4

No you won’t be that guy. If anything your being that narrative lovely dude as you want your model to face the right way. 
if you are changing the base size, then people might judge it as gamey. But on the same base size. No worries 

but out of curiousity. Which model is it. 

Yeah, I wouldn't see this is a problem. The position of the model on the base barely matters at all, other than perhaps when you're taking photos of the battle and want it to look cinematic. My Stonehorns routinely charge butt-first into battle because it's basically impossible to get their horns to fit among other models.

Edited by Kadeton

Facing doesn't really matter, things are a bit strange with ovals since rotating would be movement for them. Its a bit jarring for monsters with wide stances though, as they end up crabwalking instead of appearing to go forwards.

You'd only be That Guy if you were sculpting walls on the models to block LoS too. (This area of the rules needs to get cleaned up, being able to shoot a wizard because his staff pokes over the head of a troll, because you built him with his arms low is dumb)