Death rattle ideas

Dragon10

Hi as mentioned I'm thinking of making skeletons work for me.

i originally planned to build a MSU elite style army but after reading some of the scenarios I've had a rethink due to needing more models for objectives etc...

any ideas on making skellies work on the cheap which also meets the battle line requirements 

cheers

you can use the battalion warscroll. Scheletons in 30 for units. The pribkem is against the magic. You can use the general trait to have a mage or pinpoint. Scheletons work good. You can choose to use also khe ri archers to have skellies anyway

The problem is that deathrattle need buffs from other sub factions to truly be optimised. Taking them without Tomb King characters or a necromancer is like playing with one hand tied behind your back. Which is fine for pick up or narrative but if you really want to optimise your deathrattle units you need a selection from:

Settra, Tomb King, Liche Priest, Necrotech, Necromancer, Wight King. 

And only one of those characters is deathrattle and doesn't synergize with Settra unless he's just there to hold his banner.  

Ok I want to run 

vamp lord on dragon

vamp lord on steed

krell

would these Heros suit 3 x 20 skellies or 1 x 40 skellies and 2 x 10 skellies?

my army will either take minimum skellies for battle line or thinking of taken them to be a helpful in scenerios

The problem with those three heroes is that they all require use of their command ability to buff your troops and only the general can use his.  You would be better off with VLoZD, necromancer and a Vampire lord. 

If you're going one big unit of 40 skeletons then your better off finding he extra 40pts and taking 2x5 skeleton horsemen as they are much more mobile. 

A pure deathrattle army wont really work and isnt much fun to play. If you're not using tombking warscrolls I would advise to include a necromancer and a vamp.lord for there magic spells that can significantly boost the skeletons. 2 attacks for black knights on the charge is pretty good!

I don't know. I'm planning a pure rattle army, or mostly pure. I think there's a lot of fun to be had with the mounted wights, the command trait magician or summoning-sword. Krell with the -to hit artifact, immortality ring or the heal-on-kill sword could be fun too. Having at least one of the formation is a must though to give multiple of the artifacts. Sure it won't be the most competative list, but I don't think it'd lack fun.

I like the idea of having a cairn wraith, spirit host or banshee that I can summon in with the sword. Summoning in a banshee to yell at stuff seems entertaining, and doesn't break the deathrattle theme. 

That said, a necromancer makes a world of difference with it, and doesn't really break the theme either. I wish Arkhan was given the deathrattle keyword, that'd have made this whole conversation null and void. 

I agree thats why I also added Neferata, morghast archii, a necromancer, some spirithost and a mortis engine to my deathrattle horde.

To tie these units to together with the skellies I have written some background that Neferata was comanded by Nagash to raise fresh legions for a devious plot he is planning. Neferata with the help of her cohort of casters are slowly raising the legions from their graves. The archii are searching the lands for battle sites and ofcourse keeping an eye on Neferata....

Regarding Krell I don't think he can hold a artifact as he is a named character.

I'm also working on a rattle army  I've got 80 skelleys, 40/40 sword, spear, 20 knights and I'm converting Arkan and Neferata into mounted wight kings (queen).

I've been looking at other options from tomb kings with the Deathrattle keyword and there is quite a bit of options.

Archers of course. ;)

The tomb Herald is nice. Going to convert two up from skeleton warrior banners and hex wraiths  as body guards for my wight king and queen.

And I'll top it all off with a couple Morghast Harbingers.

I'm just hoping that whatever Death gets next isn't a complete Deathrattle overhaul ...... womp, womp....

1 minute ago, Jupiter said:

Check out the aos app there are a lot of old characters that have awesome warscrolls. Isabel and Vlad have cool fluff synergies for example. 

I know^^ Krell is also there. I tend not to yse very much the app cause I can't use thr FEC formation even having bought the book

@Dragon10 Why jump ship off your last idea?? it realyl doesn't matter if your out number. 3 out of the 6 don't really care about model count for 1. So your gonna be boned if you switch to army just to capitalize on just hording it up.

Second your Soulblight list looked fine, i just hitnk you invest to much in VloZD i think your fine with just one and saving point a second for either a second VLoAT, more foot vampire lord, or simple  more Blood knights. 

As far as death rattle pure death rattle is okay, i'd recommend in all seriousness getting one the Mage Command trait or atleast the Sword of unholy power or 2. Death Rattle is one of few few factions that can get battalions that are worth taking.

I'd grab a battailion get a book of unholy power + whatever other artifact you might want. 

Command trait i'd pick up either a wizard or ruler of the night. Ruler isn't so important as you already get access to the unholy banner which basicly does this. Stacking defensive bonuses aren't worth it and tends to be points negative unless they let you reach some thresh hold and even then might not be worth it.

With a wizard or sword of unholy power you have access to summon which blow death rattle wide open. You coudl grab terrorghiest, Zombie dragons, Mournguls, Banshees(to pop artilery crews), or MOrghast. THis is all at a drop of the hat.

Army composition, if you don't pick up ruler of the night i'd grab the banner guy and a couple wight kings, and a few blocks of skels. 

The only thing you really miss here is Dance Macbre which while is super stronger only goes off on the turn you cast it, and can be dispeled, and even if you get it off you might fail a charge or something. 

If you read nothing else read below:

Hope this helps. Honestly, i think you might feel good sticking soul blight, but i'm sure your nervous about what army to invest in. I'm souly a competitive player that's really all i like, and the first bit of advice i give. Is just buy what you think is cool. If your a noob no matter what you paly is gonna suck, and your gonna feel like you need to switch armies to win. The real way to get good is pick a list, and play games with it until you understand it's strengths and weakness, and you learn many of the finer points of the game.

Pure death rattle for me as below. All the wight kings are mounted with banners so you are getting saves all over the show. It becomes a very grindy list though and you are asking a lot of your characters.

Leaders
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
Wight King with Black Axe (120)
- General
- Trait: Ruler of the Night
- Artefact: Ring of Immortality
- Artefact: Tomb Blade

Units
Skeleton Warriors x 40 (320)
- Ancient Spear & Crypt or Tomb Shield
Black Knights x 10 (240)
Grave Guard x 15 (240)
- Great Wight Blade

Batallions
Deathrattle Horde (80)