Is AoS still a skirmish game?

Greybeard86

7 hours ago, Maddpainting said:

This is just wrong, it is normal for Daemons, Orks, Nids, GSC, IG, DkoK, to have large amounts of models. Heck some of the top lists for tournaments right now is basically 120 models with some MC's or Tanks. Sometimes as DE or Sisters i have 100+ models. Necrons are moving more towards a horde base army now as well with their new codex (2x20 warriors as their first 2 units in the army along with other 10mans). 

Not all armies are Custodes and Marines with 30-60 models. Thats like saying "SCE is the most popular army so AoS must be a elite unit style game".

No, please no. Do not equate many models with large blobs. In 40k the majority of armies have maximum squad sizes of 10. There are some armies that can create blobs, like the tyranids, orks, and so on. But sisters of battle, imperial guard, death korps of Krieg, May have multiple 10 man squads but that’s it; ig conscripts can blob and those are a rare sight.

Saying that in 40k blobs are as prevalent as in AoS is demonstrably wrong. Some faction may blob, the vast majority of armies you see on the table do not. We could head to warhammer stats and look at every single winning list and whether it has blobs or not, and it would support my point, but this is an AoS forum and this exercise is better left to the curios reader. 

On 11/29/2020 at 2:59 AM, Greybeard86 said:

No, please no. Do not equate many models with large blobs. In 40k the majority of armies have maximum squad sizes of 10. There are some armies that can create blobs, like the tyranids, orks, and so on. But sisters of battle, imperial guard, death korps of Krieg, May have multiple 10 man squads but that’s it; ig conscripts can blob and those are a rare sight.

Saying that in 40k blobs are as prevalent as in AoS is demonstrably wrong. Some faction may blob, the vast majority of armies you see on the table do not. We could head to warhammer stats and look at every single winning list and whether it has blobs or not, and it would support my point, but this is an AoS forum and this exercise is better left to the curios reader. 

You are wrong. MANY are 30mans and some are 40mans. Yes it is more popular to have 10 and 20 mans (all CWE/DE can go to 20 mans basically, Necrons, Sisters of battle, etc...) that doesn't mean you can not have 30mans/40mans or 100+ models on the table still. So what if a lot are only 10mans, you can still take 10x10 mans, which is also a way to play in AoS, actually its how i play all my armies as I hate big blows in AoS, example armies i play; FeC, BoC, CoS, none are more than 10mans even though I can do to 40mans. 

Nids: 30: Tgants, Hgants, Gargoyles IG: 40: Conscripts  Daemons: 30: Daemonettes, Bloodletters, Orks: 30 man (heck they had a 100-300 man unit!) Boys, GSC's can be large as well, etc.. This is not all of them nor all the 20mans which are just as common.

And again, right now some of the top lists are blocks of 30mans daemons, gants, orks. 

How is that not blobs?  

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Like 1