Chaos problem

Skarband

Hello, I would like to start with a new army of chaos, because I have enough of my khorne army blades, I would like to start collecting some stronger chaos that is able to play with the s tier armies caught my eye StD and Nurgle, is it worth investing in any of these armies? are much stronger than BoK?

To be honest, Slaves to Darkness are definately not up to tier S armies. If you want to win against a Tier S army, there has to be a lot of luck and a good strategy involved. However, if you want to try, as far as I know, some players had good success with a Knights of the Empty Throne army consisting of Varanguard.

However, you might as well play Khorne with Slaves to Darkness units. Marauders with extra attacks, pile in twice and pile in when they die are a really painful brick to get through. 

If you want to play a Chaos army that can keep up with the S Tier armies, you have to play S TIer Chaos armies, which are Tzeentch and Skaven. 

Tzeentch is just all about shooting and magic paired with ever splitting Horrors that just tie up everything so that the Flamers can just burn everything. The Lord of Change or Kairos Fatewaever are able to dominate magic phases against most armies with their ability to turn the lower spell dice into the higher. 

Skaven have a very strong magic phase and the best endless spell in the game, the Warplightning Vortex, strong shooting with Jezzails, Ratling Guns and Warplightning cannons, can put a lot of cheap bodies on the table and have some strong melee fighters, for example Stormfiends. And it`s a funny army, because if you play a bit risky, you can just smash the enemy or just have everything explode. For example you can double you shots on shooting units with the risk of a unit just exploding.

I cannot estimate if a Nurgle army with Blight Cyst and 30+ Putrid Kings can beat an S Tier army. With run and charge and a Great Unclean one with a bell, they cross the board really fast and are just a hell of bodies to take down, especially with the LOrd of Blights command ability.

So these are the ones you should look into. If you are purely going for strong armies, take Tzeentch or Skaven. However, it is best to take an army that suits your playing style and flavor.

• Like 1

Ah, another competetive Chaos Army came to my mind: The Legion of Chaos Ascendant. It consists of all units with the Demon Keyword, so all demon infantry, all greater demons (including Verminlord, which gives you access to the Warplightning Vortex). It is about summoning, Magic and a bit of close Combat. 

3 hours ago, Salyx said:

Ah, another competetive Chaos Army came to my mind: The Legion of Chaos Ascendant. It consists of all units with the Demon Keyword, so all demon infantry, all greater demons (including Verminlord, which gives you access to the Warplightning Vortex). It is about summoning, Magic and a bit of close Combat. 

I'll second LoCA, as it's a monster mash of greater daemons.  I think if you want to play an S-teir chaos army, it really helps to play Bel'kor.  He's one of the best chaos units.  LoCA lists I've seen come in two forms:

- A character-centric monster mash with minimal other units, using summoning to fill in the bodies.

- A cavalry-centric build trying to abuse the Bel'kor subfaction ability to return slain cavalry.

I've never seen a mix of both, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'll also mention that Nurgle isn't S-tier and has one of the oldest Battletomes (pre AOS 2.0).  It feels like a new Nurgle battletome will come out either late in  AOS 2.0 or after we get AOS 3.0.  This provides some uncertainty, as the competitive level could change drastically (become S-tier like Seraphon, or get dumpstered like Synvaneth).  I wouldn't want to paint 50 blightkings only to have the whole army change.