Broken Realms: Morathi - SPOILER Discussion + Lore Summary

22 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I think already in the next book is likely. It doesn't look like Sigmar is the Newborn, but maybe the leader who organizes his followers. Of course the next book could be something totally different. Then, whenever they shift the focus back to Slaanesh and the Newborn. I think though this will be pretty soon. 

I'd be interested in what people who are mainly playing a Duardin faction think how they (for example KO) could become involved in the Broken Realms story line, and what they'd like to get most. 

Duardin I think could be pulled in by something being uncovered/returned - Optimally Grungni either sets to restore the old empire or/and finds/returns Valaya. But thats pretty major, not sure if Duardin will feature as heavily. I do think either a relic or a hold is uncovered or a Skyport/lodge is attacked. I like the idea of a reclamation expedition, but anything thing that adds to Duardin culture in the Realms ... model wise- female KO? Maybe a CC marine/explorer unit? Can't speak for Fyreslayers though [ they need more units]  and I don't think the dispossessed will reclaim their homelands just yet. I doubt Duadin will get anything of significance from the series -seems to be pretty aelf driven. Maybe a rangers war band though Warcry.

• Like 1

I know it would't happen but I would love a Broken Realms book that features Grimnir's revival. I think with Morathi becoming a God and Slaanesh's shackles loosening it would be cool to see some of the other long standing narrative threads in AOS begin to resolve whilst continuing to open up for more stories. 

So this is not speculation or wishlisting but more of a fun idea I had in regards to a resurrection of Grimnir. I think having fulfilled his oath to Sigmar it would be cool to see him break away from Order and maybe have Fyerslayers move towards Destruction. It would give more variety to destruction and showcase that they do not all worship Gorkamorka... I think having only limited ally options with Orruks and Grots will make Ogors and Sons have a fun position as the bridging point between the two potential sides of Destruction. Also due to Fyreslayers history as mercenaries they can still be hired out by order. I would also want Chaos Duardin and Undead Duardin and then Duardin would be notable for featuring in all of the Grand Alliances. I know that this is likey to never occur but I would still appreciate a return of Grimnir.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Neverchosen said:

I know it would't happen but I would love a Broken Realms book that features Grimnir's revival. I think with Morathi becoming a God and Slaanesh's shackles loosening it would be cool to see some of the other long standing narrative threads in AOS begin to resolve whilst continuing to open up for more stories. 

So this is not speculation or wishlisting but more of a fun idea I had in regards to a resurrection of Grimnir. I think having fulfilled his oath to Sigmar it would be cool to see him break away from Order and maybe have Fyerslayers move towards Destruction. It would give more variety to destruction and showcase that they do not all worship Gorkamorka... I think having only limited ally options with Orruks and Grots will make Ogors and Sons have a fun position as the bridging point between the two potential sides of Destruction. Also due to Fyreslayers history as mercenaries they can still be hired out by order. I would also want Chaos Duardin and Undead Duardin and then Duardin would be notable for featuring in all of the Grand Alliances. I know that this is likey to never occur but I would still appreciate a return of Grimnir.

I agree, bring back Grimnir with new Fyreslayers models. I would  like to see Fyreslayers move on from being merely mercenaries and evolve into something more.

But I disagree about them being in destruction, they are order.  They are orderly, they are civilization builders, and they are not mindlessly destructive.

Edited by xking
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If Slaanesh is the father of the Protean form (the Newborn),  then Morathi must be the mother, since the protean form was created from the black ichor that poured out of her when she was cut in twain.  How is she going to view her new son/daughter, do you think, and how will Malerian view his new brother/sister?

Edited by Aelfric
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, xking said:

But I disagree about them being in destruction, they are order.  They are orderly, they are civilization builders, and they are not mindlessly destructive.

I did try to preface that part a little suggesting that it isn't something that I hope for or expect: simply that it would be help diversify the alliances a little and give Duardin an interesting gaming niche of having possible representation in all alliances. I suppose that I think Grimnir's involvement could help evolve the concept of destruction to some degree. But at the same time I concede that you are right that they are not only orderly they are more so than many of the other Order races. I think a culture supporting martial force and noble combat although orderly would make a nice contrast for the rest of the destruction forces while also bringing forth some animosity to that Grand Alliance. Once again I was kind of thinking of it as a fun idea not something in the realm of possibility. Furthermore, I would support a similar idea for Idoneth, but I will concede it would be best if they developed a new faction within destruction to fill this niche. 

But that part of my post was largely meant as an aside, as I am mostly just posting about wanting a return of Grimnir as I think that it would hold much more weight than anything short of Malerion's return.

Edited by Neverchosen

51 minutes ago, Grim Beasties said:

Thought we already got Grimnir back

Gotrek_Gurnisson_01.jpg

Don't let him hear you say that.

I'd love to see more Fyreslayer models, and while I don't expect Grimnir to return completely, I could see the fyreslayers combining their runes to summon a massive flaming Eidolon of their god, in much the same way as the Idonenth do. That would make for an amazing centre piece model, and I'm now slightly sad it doesn't yet exist.

While I am all in favour of having destruction Dwarves and Destruction Elves, I don't think that any of the existing factions are a good fit. They could make something that would work much better, if they decided to go that route.

Undead units for other races are just a no brainer though. I don't know why we don't have those yet!

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, EccentricCircle said:

While I am all in favour of having destruction Dwarves and Destruction Elves, I don't think that any of the existing factions are a good fit. They could make something that would work much better, if they decided to go that route.

Undead units for other races are just a no brainer though. I don't know why we don't have those yet!

Destruction or Undead Halflings? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grim Beasties said:

Halflings for Mawtribes!

OMG! I think I am going to buy the Halfling Bloodbowl team to run as Gnoblars!!! 

To add to this idea in a more cost efficient manner. I will get the Ogor Blood Bowl Team and the Halfling Bloodbowl team and mix the Gnoblars and Halflings into a single unit and run the Ogors as Maneaters. Then I can also play Blood Bowl and have a funny/fun expansion to my Ogor Mawtribes.

Thank you!

Edited by Neverchosen
  • Like 1

As much as I'd be fine with seeing Grimnir return either in a weakened/tabletop state (thus requiring more Ur-Gold) or as an Avatar, there'd be something said about the army most criticised for "99% of the range are mostly-naked Dwarfs running around with axes" getting a giant version of a mostly-naked Dwarf running around with axes.

I think Grimnir will return at some point, but I don't know how many of the same "faction desperate to revive/help their god return have their deity come back to active godhood" story beats GW will want to repeat in the same series. With that being said, in my bias opinion Fyreslayers should be the number one priority for a Mechanicus-esq release wave of new models after Slaanesh Mortals, although I don't see it happening in Broken Realms.

I think if we get a Dwarf-focused book in BR, it's going to end in a unique Dwarf-only Free City akin to Har Kuron, which 1/4 units can be be Fyreslayers/Kharadron. The storyline would presumably focus on whatever the hell Grungi's being up to, perhaps with him finally deciding now's the time to go on the offensive into Chamon and that leaving his people to their fate was a bad idea. There's also been various plot threads about much stronger ties between the various Dawi factions, particularly now it's becoming known the Fyreslayers aren't just selfish mercenary ****** in it for the sake of money. 

Valaya's still a dangling plot thread, but I think like she'd be the onus for a whole new faction - be that Hysh Dwarfs, or something darker - thus I don't see anymore than plot seeds being planted in Broken Realms for her, rather than something revolving entirely around her (beyond Grungi being upto something that in the end is revealed/strongly implied to be about about her in the same way Katakros wasn't namedropped in Forbidden Power but was about his rescue).

Edited by Clan's Cynic
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Clan's Cynic said:

There's also been various plot threads about much stronger ties between the various Dawi factions

Personally, I am not sold on this concept of super narrow dawi armies with little senergy between them.

They essentially picked the existing themes in dawi armies and hyperbolized them into niche factions:

• Steam punk tech theme: KO
  • Slayers: fyreslayers
  • Dawi "normies":  dispossed / free cities, but these get absolutely no love.

Everything seems over the top, and since all is pretty high fantasy crazy, it is not as striking. Seeing naked dawi with axes was shocking in a context of more "normal" looking dawi, same as for their "steampunk creations". Variety was nice, and it allowed you to customize your army. Now, choosing between flavors of naked giant axe dwarves, or flying steam punk dwarves, I see less customization and excitement for the wacky things.

I hope they consolidate armies a bit more. Hopefully that way we won't see the game pushed towards "I run X battalion and thus I spam these 2 units until my opponent's eyes bleed".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Grim Beasties said:

So bit of a strange question, when the next broken Realms books come out, will we just keep everything on this thread or a specific thread for each?

It will probably spawn its own thread since it will focus on specific armies who will want to chat about their lore and rules changes and such 

• Thanks 2

With Sigvald coming back, I'd wishlist  for a return of Taurox please  GW.

A huge mega daembull-prince that can slot into beasts or blades would be very nice indeed.

As plot armour his soul could be reforged at the sheer rage within him of thinking that the Pointy ears have whole legions who's symbol is a bulls head on a spike, and he and his kin have taken it personally. - flakey for sure, but so AoS.

Edited by Kaleb Daark
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Kaleb Daark said:

With Sigvald coming back, I'd wishlist  for a return of Taurox please  GW.

While it wouldn't exactly be a comeback per se, I'd like to see Valkia get a new plastic model. I mean, she's carrying around the head of a Slaaneshi daemon prince for a shield, I'm sure she'd have something to say to this Newborn.

• Like 2
  • LOVE IT! 2

1 hour ago, Zamik said:

While it wouldn't exactly be a comeback per se, I'd like to see Valkia get a new plastic model. I mean, she's carrying around the head of a Slaaneshi daemon prince for a shield, I'm sure she'd have something to say to this Newborn.

Yes, me too

Something along the line of : "sorry oh glorious Lord, I will convert to Slaanesh effective immedia... Oh hello Shallaxi"

On 11/30/2020 at 10:26 AM, Overread said:

Oi! I heard there were some dwarves needing cleaning out of an Aelf thread ;)

Get back to your mines or your sky cities or your lava baths you lot!! Go on out out ;)

There's never gonna be a dwarf thread if the dwarf players don't make it! GW has historically neglected dwarves in narratives.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the thread necro.

So, I’m a bit late to the party but I downloaded the Broken Realms book to read over the Xmas period. Got to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, really can’t wait for the second book.
Had a few thoughts/ questions?

Firstly, what are people’s thoughts on the newborn? 
With the recent Sigvald reveal do you now think he is likely to be the newborn?Reading the WarCom Sigvald origin article didn’t seem to link but could be somehow?

One thing that bugged me, why did the stormcast not just kill one of their own to send message back to Azyr? Or one of them kill themself? Or would that be a no no in Stormcast lore?

I think/hope Ven Brecht’s rescuer is a vampiric relative.