Broken Realms: Morathi - SPOILER Discussion + Lore Summary

4 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Did the Lady of Vines die again? She was resurrected when Alarielle came back in her warform at the end of the Realmgate Wars.

I don't remember her resurrection in the RGW books, maybe it was in the Sylvaneth battletome? I don't own it so that might be why I missed out on that bit of lore.

As a huge Vampire/Soulblight fan part of me really wants the winged savior of Van Brecht to be a Vamp however part of me doesn't. Reason being, I'd prefer a stand alone Soulblight Battle Tome and I feel like if GW does updates to Soulblight in Broken Realms that means a stand alone book is farther off than I'd want. So count me as conflicted as to what that winged beast is that saved Van Brecht. But I can see it being either Vampire or Malerion related. I do find it weird that GW would add that Vampire bit to Van Brecht's backstory if they didn't intend on it playing a more major role at some point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, silverstu said:

Thing to remember is these are souls that escaped so they need an essence to form around. 

I don't think Aenarion fits with Lumineth- they have Tyrion, Khaine's essence was stolen by Morathi, Not sure how he would sit in with Malerion- [I can't see them appearing just yet and I think Aenarion will feature relatively soon in the story]. 

I really think the Kurnoth line would work - there's an essence there to claim, its a vehicle to resurrect Kurnoth and bring in the Kurothi and plus Kurnoth is a pretty angry character. 

The other side I think is they might do something completely new with him- maybe leading the remaining Aelves in the cities [which would seem a bit odd as they are classic HE and Lumineth are essentially AOS version classic HE.

So I'm still betting on Kurnoth reborn [also because I reeeeaaaaaallly want Kurnothi!]. But then again - the GW fluff says that spirits [plural] escaped so what happens to the others...

I'm not sure how Sigmar will treat Morathi- she did betray him, but also thwarted the chaos plans to invade Asyr and became more powerful, therefore more useful in the fight  against Chaos. I think he will keep his distance but I doubt he will go after her as she has allies with the Idoneth. The Order alliance is looking distinctly more fractured.. Can't wait to see what Grungni gets up to in this story line [if he appears].

I'd be particularly interested in seeing what would happen if he tried joining up with Malerion, but if GW did want to reinvest in Cities of Sigmar after it's popularity, Aenarion could provide one avenue.  Have him return and revitalize  Phoenicium

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lord of the Isle said:

Well one aspect of this question is what would you do if you were big A?

1 team up with the human upstart god and the few aelves sheltering with him, who include the remnants of Asuryan’s legacy?

2 claim the mantle of Khaine and punish your usurping deceiving traitorous second wife? Maybe lead male Khainite slave uprising?

3 burn the world and go Slaaneshi / pure Chaos?

4 check out your most consistently anti Chaos descendants on Hysh and their new children, rescued from Slaanesh like you but mostly relatively purified? Note that Tyrion basically is you but blind and Buddhist. He also is the only other wielder of the Widowmaker

5 check out your persistently surviving fallen son who has historically disgraced your legacy but who is perhaps even more like you than Tyrion. Help him redeem himself / take on his mother / fulfil his greatness?

6 go it totally alone, maybe with a few wandering aelf followers of all kinds, like Alith Anar crossed with Ynnead type thing?

7 check out Alarielle, who is also your descendant via Yvraine, and probably basically become Kurnoth

8 (weirdest one?) hang out under the sea with your descendants’ rejected creations

Personally I like the look of 2, 5, and 6 most; others may disagree or have other ideas?

If you then consider ‘what does GW actually want to add from him’ I am guessing -

1 development with one or more of the so far undealt with gods - Malerion, Tyrion, Kurnoth

2 or a Grand Alliance mixed Aelves option

3 or just possibly an incredibly scary leader for occasionally mentioned Chaos Aelves

perfectly possible all this is a misreading and he isn’t even out of the belly tho!!!

9. Be so disgusted that your petulent children have arrived at this, that out of shame and sheer sorrow you cut your legs off at the knees, grow some new feet and a long beard, hench up a bit and go and join a proper race like the dwarfs, and when you finally get good at starting fires, join the first people at the Legion.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Sigmar has a core problem in that with Death and Destruction on the march toward him in a big way, he's very spread thin. Not to mention his continual advances into Chaos blighted lands. His forces might be reforged and reborn, but he's still only got a finite number at any one time. 

At the same time he relies heavily upon the forces of Order in general keeping the lands behind his front line from being invaded and taken by Chaos. Daughters of Khaine are very effective in that, so on the whole war on Chaos it doesn't actually matter "to much" who holds the land so long as its held and kept Chaos free. Of course continual war behind the front lines means that his allies are destroying and weakening themselves in power exchanges which aren't helping the front line effort. 

So whilst he might not mind the DoK gaining more individual power; they are doing so at his cost and at the cost of other allies and allied forces. As a result he might well want to reply swiftly. To not only prove that his Stormcast and Free Cities are not to be trifled with (ergo invaded by anyone who wants too); but also to reaffirm and make Morathi pay dearly for any land she takes from other allied forces. In a sense force her to consider currently held land too costly in lives and resources to bother with; to push her to instead focus her efforts without the Order held lands. 

If anything this might be a weakness for the DoK. They have held land and protected land well, but we've read far less of them pushing their own front lines. That's where Sigmar would really want them now; force Morathi and make her pay so that she abandons ideals of raiding more Free Cities and instead considers juicy blighted land to retake. Or lands held by Orruks or Death of course. 

One other thought - Morath is not only distrusting, but also highly vain. If anyone would want to restore the godly pantheon it would be her. What use is her new found godhood if there is no one around to really appreciate it!? Force/trick/blackmail the other gods back to the table so that she can lord over how not only she is now one of them, but the greatest who has brought them all back to the table for her to flaunt her new beauty and power. 

5 hours ago, Kaleb Daark said:

9. Be so disgusted that your petulent children have arrived at this, that out of shame and sheer sorrow you cut your legs off at the knees, grow some new feet and a long beard, hench up a bit and go and join a proper race like the dwarfs, and when you finally get good at starting fires, join the first people at the Legion.

Tsk tsk tsk, they extra made a thread for you, because the little ones can't behave apparently, and you still can't help yourselves. I have some sympathy for this, it's hard to be largely irrelevant and having achieved nothing of notice during the whole of AoS. 

But, you should be happy to watch a bit of infighting among your superiors, at least that might make you relevant at the margins. Maybe the Hedonites spend some gold to hire your services, or Sigmar tasks you with making him some baubles for his revenge. Exciting times ahead for the walking beards! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Tsk tsk tsk, they extra made a thread for you, because the little ones can't behave apparently, and you still can't help yourselves. I have some sympathy for this, it's hard to be largely irrelevant and having achieved nothing of notice during the whole of AoS. 

But, you should be happy to watch a bit of infighting among your superiors, at least that might make you relevant at the margins. Maybe the Hedonites spend some gold to hire your services, or Sigmar tasks you with making him some baubles for his revenge. Exciting times ahead for the walking beards! 

Look.. just be sensible now.

The only thing superior about you lot is your height.

I mean cone on, you place such a value on being a tall beanpole of a creature that your ears are created so that you can spend the first part of your lives pegged to the washing line to stretch you out in the breeze. And then what do you do? - that's right, stil not tall enough so you get a huge hat to make you even taller and you put a bulls head on it in honour of the First Dwarfardin of the Legion.

Nothing of note!! Nothing of Note... you lot just never saw it because the air is so thin up there it dulls the mind.  That's why your tickleass has that enourmous hat isn't it, its actually a bladder for storing additional air AND making himself taller, and he adds to that by floating a little.

And where did you think he got that idea from... Kharadron Overlords that's where.

"Ohh they float.. " he says

"Ohh they're wearing massive huge hats... " he says

focuses as they come closer and realises that they're apparatus... curses himself on his poor old man eyesight..

"I've had a great Idea for a massive headpiece, and the bonus is that from a distance even the grots will leave me alone as I'll just look like a massive 'shroom".

Then there's us...

"Hey grugni.."

"What now lightning boy?"

"I need me a massive army and I'm loving me some theatrically cinematic entrances, and I want gold and I want lightning and thunder and rain and and.."

A very Superior dwarven Facepalm..

"Man, can't you just rock up and wreck face like any other race?"

"Yebbut lightning and thunder and stuff..."

"Dude, nobody likes your plays, they're all rubbish and everyone always gets killed"

"That's it, I'm not taking that, I got me a big hammer and it's bigger than teclis' hat.. well nearly.. well... just about... AAGGHH dammit.."

Throws hammer away.

Grugni Turns to another of his Kindred

"And I suppose now that's all our fault as well?

And we're the one's who always have the hump and throw tantrums.... c'mon boys lets all go skinny dipping in a lake of magma - take your armour off, we don't want that weighing us down.. "

And as for achieving nothing...

"Ohh friedrich what the  the dwarfs achieve then?"

"oh yea they got these really good pyro dudes, skinny dip dudes, tin can dudes and floaty guys.. but you know what, you know they're all pretty sound - even if the pyro dudes do let off fireworks that just chase you until you get too tired to run"

"Friedrich, what about the pointy ears?"

"Ahh well um, yea.. they got some wet elves that just come and steal everything and make your house stink of fish and seaweed, some eco elves that just hate everyone that doesn't live in a shrubbery, some pirates that er..  that just come and steal everything ,  a bunch who wear a cows head on the end of a tall vase on their heads to pretend their even taller, but carry hammers so, I think they're all secretly jealous of the legion and dwarfs in general, and a loony mad angry murder women with a leader who's so into her social media  and instascibing her own picture that she can't understand why she's not a god like her nephew and her son, and starves her guests - and then throws a tantrum that on the face of it kicks off Realm war 3

And you know as soon as that happens that bag of bones in the green dusty apart will want to wade in..

Oh and don't go for lunch to any of them.. especially not her..  she keeps guests chained up for millenia when they come to visit.."

See... what have elves ever done for us other than blow up an old world (and do the same thing to the current one)  wear stupidly big hats and be self absorbed with being skinny and tall so they can wear expensive clothes hmm?

And you keep banging on about chaos being the bad guys - elves have managed to do what Chaos couldn't in seven editions of man.

See...

Elves ... nothing but trouble.

Dwarfs... Not Trouble.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, novakai said:

10. it a plot point that is forgotten and never explored in the next five to ten years

I think this is honestly better. Here Aenarion has relevance specifically because of his relationship with Morathi, making for a good scene.

We don't need to bring him back to 'active service' and I hope they don't do anything with him, he'd only hollow out whatever faction he gets added to and/or step on the toes of Tyrion/Teclis for the Lumineth. I'm not as against old WHFB characters in AoS as some but I really don't think there's anything interesting or worthwhile that could be done by bringing back a background WHFB character and making him a major player in AoS. It'd be like having Isildur show up in Return of the King.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Aenarion's coming to the AoS proper, if only because the guy's a Chuck Norris meme (appropriate given his age) of efficiency, and would throw a spanner in the all important business of selling plastic toys by going round perma murdering characters with kits (look at what he did to Morathi while he was a disembodied spirit yes, the other Phoenix Kings are ineffectual sissies and it was good to see them go, especially Caledor II *spit*, but dayum son), and he'd simply get too much stuff done.

'Morathi says she wants spousal support payments for both her bodies; off to the Realm of Shadow on whatever you guys call a dragon in this weird setting to decapitate her twice'

'You didn't mention you guys had an Everchosen problem, stopped off and one shotted him with a spear on the way home'

'I don't know what orruks were, but I really enjoyed fighting them. Starting to regret doing a full genocide'

I think the coolest way to do something with Aenarion's ghost would be if Tyrion, who post resurrection and cleansing of the Curse of Khaine is kind of a boring, flavorless dweeb who could do with some inner conflict, became possessed by it, spent most of his time trying to suppress murder grandpa with some serious Lumineth meditative techniques, only to take a back seat and let Aenarion go full Isle of the Dead when his back's really up against it.

Edited by Double Misfire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

2 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

and has a thing for catching rides on dragons...

And this is why we need him. Dragon populations in AoS are critically low! Heck FW dropped two of some of the best models (magma and warpfire) and we've lost several from the main game (including the HE dragon). We've only got Star and Black dragons left! And the Wyvern with an orruk atop

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Overread said:

And this is why we need him. Dragon populations in AoS are critically low! Heck FW dropped two of some of the best models (magma and warpfire) and we've lost several from the main game (including the HE dragon). We've only got Star and Black dragons left! And the Wyvern with an orruk atop

They all went into hibernation/migrated to WotC when Sigmar became the celestial equivalent of a very lonely person who takes photos of their cat styling Christmas jumpers and started handing out t-shirts.

1990494194_shittyt-shirtdragonshit.jpg.86a38fecd3df39f4e53cfe609b1af81b.jpg

• Haha 2

On 11/11/2020 at 9:51 AM, CeleFAZE said:

Interesting thing to note here: Sigvald was considered the son of Slaanesh in the world that was. Regardless of what the mirror from else in the story might hold, there's a nonzero chance that we could be seeing either Sigvald reborn as a proper demigod, or a new, similar entity.

I'm really excited to see where this goes.

Congratulations on calling it.