Broken Realms: Morathi - SPOILER Discussion + Lore Summary

3 minutes ago, PiotrW said:

Okay, I've read the book this weekend and I have questions! :)

1. Who the heck is this Aenarion guy that keeps being mentioned in this thread? My knowledge of the old Warhammer setting is pretty limited...

2. Could you give me some basic on the Idoneth, the Ocarian Lantern etc.? I only know that they are fishy aelves and that Teclis isn't too fond of them for some reason.

3. Have there been any hints as to who the Sovereign is?

4. Any confirmation that the Newborn is Sigvald? I hope it's not the case - I'd prefer if we got something more... eldritch.

Aside from my questions - I rather liked the story side of the book. I could've lived without the narration painfully namechecking every unit from the game that has a model - this is supposed to be a story, not a battle report :) Still, I'm quite interested in where all of this is going... even though Morathi really turned out to be an awful backstabber. But I guess it's in character for her.

When it comes to predictions, judging by the story so far and the recent reveals of all these new Hedonites models, it seems obvious to me that it is Slaanesh who will be the main enemy of AOS 3.0. I'd also expect some new developments on the vampire side of things: the creature that freed Ven Brecht in the epilogue seems like a vampire to me (although it could be one of the FCE, I guess... or even a renegade Khirenai?). Considering the fact we'll quite probably be getting a vampire warbands in WHU, it all seems to be leading toward something...

1. Aenarion is a kind of high elf super hero, was the first Phoenix King, united Ulthuan, husband of Morathi and Malekith's (Malerion's) father. He's also an ancestor of Tyrion and Teclis via his first wife (the first Everqueen). And he cursed his whole bloodline by drawing the Sword Of Khaine and going nuts on all and everyone. Kind of difficult to give a short summary of him. Uber-Tyrion maybe? 

2. From a Teclian PoV: The Cythai, which became the Idoneth were Teclis first attempt to create a new aelf culture from souls rescued from Slaanesh. The souls used were worshippers of the former elf god Mathlann. After the Cythai were created, it became clear that something was wrong with them, and Teclis saw that his cleansing rituals/magic had failed and a dark shadow was lying over their souls. He thought that the Cythai's existence is one of pain and suffering and wanted to destroy them to avoid endless suffering, but Tyrion convinced him not to do that. The Cythai fled into the depth of the oceans and became the Idoneth over time. I think the Ocarian Lantern was mentioned the first time in Morathi. The Idoneth have a different take on things (almost being exterminated by their god) of course. For me it was interesting to see that the Idoneth think Teclis is still trying to find them or still trying to kill them. In the Lumineth Battletome there is nothing like that (but there isn't much at all about the Idoneth in the tome), it looks more like Teclis puts all his efforts on the Lumineth, and doesn't care much about the Idoneth at all. So I'm interested in which direction GW will take that story. 

3. Morathi

4. It doesn't look like it's Sigvald. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

1. Aenarion is a kind of high elf super hero, was the first Phoenix King, united Ulthuan, husband of Morathi and Malekith's (Malerion's) father. He's also an ancestor of Tyrion and Teclis via his first wife (the first Everqueen). And he cursed his whole bloodline by drawing the Sword Of Khaine and going nuts on all and everyone. Kind of difficult to give a short summary of him. Uber-Tyrion maybe? 

2. From a Teclian PoV: The Cythai, which became the Idoneth were Teclis first attempt to create a new aelf culture from souls rescued from Slaanesh. The souls used were worshippers of the former elf god Mathlann. After the Cythai were created, it became clear that something was wrong with them, and Teclis saw that his cleansing rituals/magic had failed and a dark shadow was lying over their souls. He thought that the Cythai's existence is one of pain and suffering and wanted to destroy them to avoid endless suffering, but Tyrion convinced him not to do that. The Cythai fled into the depth of the oceans and became the Idoneth over time. I think the Ocarian Lantern was mentioned the first time in Morathi. The Idoneth have a different take on things (almost being exterminated by their god) of course. For me it was interesting to see that the Idoneth think Teclis is still trying to find them or still trying to kill them. In the Lumineth Battletome there is nothing like that (but there isn't much at all about the Idoneth in the tome), it looks more like Teclis puts all his efforts on the Lumineth, and doesn't care much about the Idoneth at all. So I'm interested in which direction GW will take that story.

1. And what's Aenarion's beef with Morathi? She still loves him, but he tried to kill her as soon as he saw her...

2. So, what *is* wrong with the Idoneth? I gather they have some sort of "damaged souls" problem?

11 hours ago, NinthMusketeer said:

We know for sure it is not Sigvald; one of the WH community articles detailed how his soul got caught by Nagash, who slapped him into a cursed mirror as punishment for being, ya know, Sigvald, but then some KO explorers went into the ruins of Shadespire and found the mirror and he subsequently escaped.

Aaaah, good :) The Newborn being simply Sigvald would be a letdown...

If you want to learn more of the history of the elves then check out these classic books from the Old World

Age of Legend

The Tyrion and Teclis Omnibus

Elves: The Omnibus

The Bloody-Handed

each one is a collection of stories and short stories from the Old World which will flesh out some of the history of the characters who have grown to become legends and gods in the Mortal Realms.

16 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Kind of difficult to give a short summary of him. Uber-Tyrion maybe? 

All the great elven heroes, princes and kings lived in the shadow of Aenarion. Tyrion was the closest to him.

1 hour ago, PiotrW said:

And what's Aenarion's beef with Morathi? She still loves him, but he tried to kill her as soon as he saw her...

If he was capable of observing the course of the events after his death, I imagine he'd have quite a lot.

1 hour ago, PiotrW said:

So, what *is* wrong with the Idoneth? I gather they have some sort of "damaged souls" problem?

To most of them their souls wither and in general cannot act as other elves, some are prone to hedonistic madness.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Overread said:

If you want to learn more of the history of the elves then check out these classic books from the Old World

Age of Legend

The Tyrion and Teclis Omnibus

Elves: The Omnibus

The Bloody-Handed

each one is a collection of stories and short stories from the Old World which will flesh out some of the history of the characters who have grown to become legends and gods in the Mortal Realms.

Are these good? I haven't had much experience with Warhammer fiction. One guy once told me these books are awful...

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

To most of them their souls wither and in general cannot act as other elves, some are prone to hedonistic madness.

3 hours ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Idoneth have PTSD of the soul. This bleeds into their minds, their bodies, and even their children.

Aaaaagh. I wish the battletomes weren't so expensive, I'd simply buy them and educate myself...

Overall, my understanding of AoS lore has... gaps. I still don't know who exactly Sigmar is and what is his personality like!

BL books run the gauntlet from bad to super. Their prime weakness is that they are predominantly action focused books that assume you've a familiarity with the models/game. They often will name things but not describe them in detail, assuming that you will know them from the game or look them up etc...

Otherwise some writers are better than others and sometimes there can be oddities around dates and such - but that's more a result  of them being group written. 

In general I've enjoyed the ones I've read, but I've not read the elf stories, I've been more focused on the Gotrek strories.

Sigmar himself is very... human. He is supernaturally mighty and wise, a godlike personification of an older, smarter Conan if you will. Of all the gods he is the most likely to want unity and be willing to compromise. But he is still a god, still sure he is right, and gets very angry when other gods move against him. He has more compassion than most gods but also less finesse, and he is spread thin so must indulge in the callousness required of any leader only on a mass scale. As of the Age of Sigmar he has put himself in more of a 'wise leader' rule and invested power into Stormcast so he need not take to the field himself, allowing him to focus on leadership. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, PiotrW said:

One guy once told me these books are awful...

On average, they are very mediocre.  I've enjoyed Tyrion and Teclis Omnibus (W. King) but cannot say the same for the rest, as noted, they tend to be action focused with lesser emphasis on the character growth and drama. Personally rather enjoyed the works of William King and would dare to recommend him.

22 hours ago, PiotrW said:

I'd simply buy them and educate myself...

There's Age of Sigmar Wiki and I'm sure people over here are civilized enough to politely answer the questions you might have.  🐯

• Like 4

On 1/12/2021 at 8:16 PM, Tiger said:

On average, they are very mediocre.  I've enjoyed Tyrion and Teclis Omnibus (W. King) but cannot say the same for the rest, as noted, they tend to be action focused with lesser emphasis on the character growth and drama. Personally rather enjoyed the works of William King and would dare to recommend him.

🐯

Dare to recommend the most prolific non Rick Priestley WFB and 40k background writer of all time, and the guy who set the template for Black Library's house style? Ok 🤨😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one's talking about this prophecy from the Gloomspite short story.

"You seek prophecy, wretch? You go to your death!’ he boomed. ‘The gate will shatter! The earth will tear! The sky shall eat the storm, and the serpent’s tide will rise! The Changer’s riddle is born anew by the splitting mirror of the Dark Prince!’"

The Storm is obviously God-king Sigmar and his forces. If you recall the "The Clobbering" story the Orruk at the end saw something massive moving through the skies of the realm of beasts.

Could be something new for Gordrakk's horde or the God-beast skull he has was locked away for a reason besides being big.

GW has been teasing this huge Orruk invasion for a long while now; its basically been one massive and slow thundering tide of Orruks amassing toward the gate. It's slow, its building but right now its hard to tease out all the threads from short bits like that. Serpents are not bound to one army - morathi has them, slaanesh has connections etc... 

I imagine the implication is Gordrakk's hordes will keep Sigmar too busy in Ghur to deal with Morathi-Khaine's rising empire and Godhood in Aqshy.

It's kinda the only way her coup doesn't get put back in line from the Stormhosts. But we'll see!

I imagine Teclis' story will illuminate with what's going on in the realms. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The other issue is that Morathi's movements are actually going to benefit Order in general against Chaos. Step back and whilst she bloodied and insulted and backstabbed Sigmar, she still rules one faction that is basically a die-hard religious anti-chaos force. At the same time she's also forged an alliance with the Idoneth, who far as I can tell have mostly stayed out of the war hidden in the depths.

Actually giving the Idoneth interest in more than coastal regions and more than just harvesting souls might well bring them out from the depths to fight Chaos. 

In the grand scheme of things Sigmar gained a more powerful ally against Chaos. Granted she WILL backstab anyone again, but she's actually more mentally predictable than, say, Allariel who is apt to fall into insane bouts of madness based on the season or upon Nurgle rotting regions of her forests; the Slaan who have plans that are way beyond the Mortal Realms; Khadorans who will work for anyone; the Cities who are mostly blasted to kingdom come and only just getting back together or Malarion's forces who have yet to really do anything major. 

In many ways losing cities to Morathi isn't the worst thing for Sigmar; but it will harm his influence on the Free Cities and it also raises the question of how far he can step back and view the bigger picture. 

• Like 1

Agreed. Long term this is a boon to Order as well as how she stopped Azyr from being invaded. It's a nasty blood price being paid for her ambitions and the Order pantheon will have to treat with her as an equal in matters but her empire can benefit them greatly and ruin chaos two-fold.

Another point is the Realm of Fire is not only crawling with chaos hordes but even the Order races there are a double-edged blade like the Fuethan Deepkin.

On one hand they've slaughtered chaos numerous times on the coasts by unleashing terrible ancient sea beasts or in lethal raids.

In peace times though...

"Following the Necroquake, the Free Cities become too tempting a target and the Fuethán launch raids across a dozen coastal regions to claim the souls of their inhabitants.

The Redblades: Akhelian Guard who ride diamond-backed redfin Fangmora, famous for their feeding frenzies and who have depopulated whole areas of the coastlines of Aqshy."

That could better handled if a snake goddess and her battle hardened melusai watched over the villages and had their stronger pact in place to focus on chaos instead. Similar case in her shadow agents making sure all Fyreslayer deals are exclusively with Order and not with Chaos.

That said, Fuethan look badass though.

300px-Akhelian_Guard_Fuethan_01.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Baron Klatz said:

Surprised no one's talking about this prophecy from the Gloomspite short story.

"You seek prophecy, wretch? You go to your death!’ he boomed. ‘The gate will shatter! The earth will tear! The sky shall eat the storm, and the serpent’s tide will rise! The Changer’s riddle is born anew by the splitting mirror of the Dark Prince!’"

The Storm is obviously God-king Sigmar and his forces. If you recall the "The Clobbering" story the Orruk at the end saw something massive moving through the skies of the realm of beasts.

Could be something new for Gordrakk's horde or the God-beast skull he has was locked away for a reason besides being big.

"The Serpents tide.." is Sotek still a thing? Could it refer to Seraphon? Could see them becoming prominent in 3rd ed. Really hope the earth will tear is Grungni's dwarfs. from the context these are things which doom the greenskins so it could well refer to order forces as well as chaos..Seraphon possibly taking on chaos, Grungni coming to Sigmar's defence and taking on their ancestral enemies makes sense. 

12 hours ago, Overread said:

The other issue is that Morathi's movements are actually going to benefit Order in general against Chaos. Step back and whilst she bloodied and insulted and backstabbed Sigmar, she still rules one faction that is basically a die-hard religious anti-chaos force. At the same time she's also forged an alliance with the Idoneth, who far as I can tell have mostly stayed out of the war hidden in the depths.

Actually giving the Idoneth interest in more than coastal regions and more than just harvesting souls might well bring them out from the depths to fight Chaos. 

In the grand scheme of things Sigmar gained a more powerful ally against Chaos. Granted she WILL backstab anyone again, but she's actually more mentally predictable than, say, Allariel who is apt to fall into insane bouts of madness based on the season or upon Nurgle rotting regions of her forests; the Slaan who have plans that are way beyond the Mortal Realms; Khadorans who will work for anyone; the Cities who are mostly blasted to kingdom come and only just getting back together or Malarion's forces who have yet to really do anything major. 

In many ways losing cities to Morathi isn't the worst thing for Sigmar; but it will harm his influence on the Free Cities and it also raises the question of how far he can step back and view the bigger picture. 

Morathi doesn’t focus on Chaos though, she is eradicating other cities nearby former Anvilgard, killing all non-dark elves, and trying to use the Idoneth for her on plans against other Order factions. None of which can actually afford to split forces. Morathi is barely in control of her own territory (an Idoneth as well as a Slaanesh force could just ride up to her seat of power, and she couldn’t prevent this even with hiring mercenaries), and all she achieved so far is an insurrection in the Anvilgard area against her power - where again she is isn’t strong enough to do anything much about it, and hence has to rely on her Idoneth allies. The same is true for most of the other Order forces (no idea how strong the Seraphon are). They can barely, if at all, hold back Chaos and Death.  

What she did so far is increasing the strength of Slaanesh, killing a massive army of Stormcast through betrayal most of which can’t be reforged again, attacked and weakened Anvilgard, and trying to put Idoneth en large (not just the warlike Fuethan) against other Order factions. 

How this somehow makes Order stronger is a bit of a mystery to me. 

If we see her actually focusing on the Slaanesh in future books, then this might become true, so far I she seems most concerned with taking revenge on those who snubbed her before. 

• Like 6

True she's given a great boon to Slaanesh, by accident. 

However her strength is that for all her power-play she's one of the fewer forces that will go against Chaos without a second thought. Sigmar's overarching goal is civilization and eradication of chaos. Morathi might change who owns a settlement and what races and loyalties they hold within it; but ultimately she wants to build cities; she wants order, structure, buildings, settled regions etc... She "thinks" like Sigmar thinks in terms of how the land and peoples are managed and organised. 

She also, along with her race, are religiously against Chaos. Even if she's going to backstab him or manipulate situations to her own gain, you can trust that she will fight. Indeed, as I noted, of most of the Pantheon she's one of the few who took to the front lines during the Age of Chaos. She's prepared to fight, she's prepared to defend and push back. If anything a dark side of Sigmar might even see that Morathi finally stretching her wings and making her faction grow could be, in the fullness of time, a powerful force against Chaos. 

Malarion is still very unknown, we don't know what is ultimate objectives are nor his attitude; indeed right now his attitude seems to be closed boarders and defensive with no real stories or tales of his offensive steps taken against anyone. So for now Morathi is the most active anti-chaos force - even if her actions result in boons to Slaanesh here and there. 

She is unreliable and most certainly Sigmar will want to punish her in some form to retain his semblance of superiority, but at the same time he knows that of all the gods she's likely easier to convince than many to fight in a major battle against Chaos. Stepping back from Morathi the individual temples that form her people also share that same fevered aggression against Chaos. Heck perhaps sigmar will learn and look to other Temple Queens and try to have them promoted and pushed forward; fighting a war in the shadows to dethrone Morathi (though after her last gambit he's perhaps a touch too late for such planS)

Also it wasn't just an Idoneth raid, it was the Kings army, that's basically the grandest army he could muster at the time with short notice. That is a massive force and the fact that her fortress withstood at all is an epic feat. Same for the Slaanesh; it was two massive armies that struck at the same time. Most fortresses in the setting would be hard pressed. 

• Like 4

Having read the last few posts I figured I'd chime in.

I can't help but feel Morathi is pushing into Ashqy as she's burnt her bridges elsewhere with the ascension. She is now looking to get existing temples around the other mortal cities to expand and push her reach out into the other realms to put some distance and muscle between her and Malerion. 

9 hours ago, Overread said:

However her strength is that for all her power-play she's one of the fewer forces that will go against Chaos without a second thought. Sigmar's overarching goal is civilization and eradication of chaos. Morathi might change who owns a settlement and what races and loyalties they hold within it; but ultimately she wants to build cities; she wants order, structure, buildings, settled regions etc... She "thinks" like Sigmar thinks in terms of how the land and peoples are managed and organised. 

She also, along with her race, are religiously against Chaos. Even if she's going to backstab him or manipulate situations to her own gain, you can trust that she will fight. Indeed, as I noted, of most of the Pantheon she's one of the few who took to the front lines during the Age of Chaos. She's prepared to fight, she's prepared to defend and push back. If anything a dark side of Sigmar might even see that Morathi finally stretching her wings and making her faction grow could be, in the fullness of time, a powerful force against Chaos. 

Malarion is still very unknown, we don't know what is ultimate objectives are nor his attitude; indeed right now his attitude seems to be closed boarders and defensive with no real stories or tales of his offensive steps taken against anyone. So for now Morathi is the most active anti-chaos force - even if her actions result in boons to Slaanesh here and there. 

She is unreliable and most certainly Sigmar will want to punish her in some form to retain his semblance of superiority, but at the same time he knows that of all the gods she's likely easier to convince than many to fight in a major battle against Chaos. Stepping back from Morathi the individual temples that form her people also share that same fevered aggression against Chaos. Heck perhaps sigmar will learn and look to other Temple Queens and try to have them promoted and pushed forward; fighting a war in the shadows to dethrone Morathi (though after her last gambit he's perhaps a touch too late for such planS)

Also it wasn't just an Idoneth raid, it was the Kings army, that's basically the grandest army he could muster at the time with short notice. That is a massive force and the fact that her fortress withstood at all is an epic feat. Same for the Slaanesh; it was two massive armies that struck at the same time. Most fortresses in the setting would be hard pressed. 

I don’t doubt she wants to build Order, specifically her order, as a tool to gain more power, but right now she is bringing chaos. Your point was that her actions somehow benefit Order as a whole. Most of the Order gods are on her have-to-take-revenge list. When they show her motivations for attaining godhood, besides Slaanesh, Chaos doesn’t really feature, it’s Sigmar, Malerion, T&T and Nagash. She hates Slaanesh because of what he has done to her, that’s all. 

Morathi doesn’t “change leadership in a settlement” she wipes them out. Everyone, but her loyalists. What do you think will happen when this will come out eventually? Bloodbaths within all the CoS, because her temples would get wiped out, but not without a fight. No one trusts the DoK anyway, and expects hidden sacrificies etc. and now they find out that she is actively killing their fellow citizens together with those soul stealing aelves from the depths. How does this bring order or help the fight against Chaos? 

Morathi only cares about Morathi and how to gain more power. She doesn’t even care about her own believers, they are all tools to be used and discarded. She does not want to build cities and order for bringing civilization or strengthening Order as such, but to gain followers and get stronger as anyone else. Have a look at the BR Morathi video again, or her motivations in the book, it’s not about fighting Chaos, it’s about revenge on stupid, trusting allies with all their dumb concepts of trust, loyalty, friendship, because they have been mean to her in the past. It’s not, sorry I had to do this so that we can all fight Chaos together. It’s I’m strong now and I’m going to take revenge on every single one of you for what you have done to me. 

Her actions don’t just give a boon here and there to Slaanesh, from the start it was her betrayal of taking more than her share of souls that started the process of freeing Slaanesh, and now again she put her own interest above those of defeating Chaos, the new prodigy and rising mortal followers are mostly due to her actions. 

Morathi doesn’t look that strong to me, she needed a CoS force trying to stop others, and even that didn’t work out. From all we know in the book, the Idoneth would have won that battle, but for the help of Slaanesh. You say holding them off was a great feat, but it’s her seat of power, her land, her plan which she prepared for how many aeons we don’t know, and she still almost lost against a hastily brought together Idoneth force. Doesn’t sound that great. She seems to be the “pre-eminent” power in one region (or one Dominion) within one of the 13 Dominions of Ulgu. Otherwise she was getting most her influence because she made herself useful to others. That’s the whole reason she was helping others to fight Chaos, but now she (likely) reached godhood, and doesn’t need to keep the charade going. Now, she has started killing those others. 

She is a fighter and survivor, I really like the character, and it will be interesting to see where they take her story, but right now I honestly don’t think you can sell her actions as some kind of working for the greater good or shared interests of Order or something in that vein, even accidentally. But of course I don’t know what they’ll do, and maybe it goes into the direction you mention. I could see Slaanesh’s forces coming for her, because they take the Lumineth in another direction, and that conflict being the centre of the Morathi story arc (not the intra-Order story). I’d not feel bad about that, I’m not a huge fan of an all out Order civil war,  especially between the aelves, because we already had that for 30 years.

Hopefully they bring the story a bit more forward in the two new Battletomes and more short stories. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Like 7

16 hours ago, Overread said:

DId she help Slaanesh? or destroy his plans  to escape in full? the other gods did not know the prison was failing they do now. Its paln to manipulet in secret is gone