Warhammer Fantasy Orcs in AoS

Kopfnussklopfer

Hi Destruction Players!

Im very new to AoS, just painting and building up some small Units i like.

So, now i got gifted a big Warhammer Fantasy Orc army (2k-3k points) from my old brother and i was very happy - until i relized, there is no battletome which supports this army anymore.

I think i'm not the first one in this situation, so what would you recommend me doing with this army (is it even worth it putting on round bases?) or what have you done with your old orcboys? Is it solely playable for Warhammer Fantasy?

Thanks alot! :)

What's included in the army you got? A few models got brought over into AoS (Black Orcs are now Ardboys in Ironjawz and Savage Orcs, as well as a majority of their leaders, were also brought in as Bonesplittas). If it's just a bunch of general Greenskinz and old Orc Warbosses, they have been regulated to Legends, sadly.

I have many many Boys with 2 weapons and some with Bows.
I also have many normal Goblins with spears and many with Bows (no Night Goblins).
I have Orcs on Boars and Goblins on Wolfes.
Then i got an Orc Shaman and an Orc Bigboss and an Boss on Boar and an Nightgoblin Shaman.
I have a Rock Lobber (Catapult) and two Goblin Doom Diver (also Catapult, but much cooler). And then i also got 2 or 3 Orc Boar Charriots.
I also got Black Orcs, but they are older than the other models, looks like 4th edition. I bet they are much smaller than the new ones (and with much less armor).

This was an really cool army.
If they are in legends, i it means they are maybe somehow playable but they will be very very weak, right? Maybe not a great way to start new into AoS.

Edited by Kopfnussklopfer

The Night Goblin Shaman (now called a Madcap Shaman), is definitely usable in a Gloomspite Gitz army. The Black Orcs, as long as they look mostly similar to the current Ardboyz (don't know what the 4E ones looked like) should be usable within Orruk Warclans. Unfortunately, everything else you listed has been relegated to Legends.

They still have AoS rules and base sizes and you can use them in a free play games as Grand Alliance Destruction. They won't be as strong as armies with a book, but they could definitely be used as an intro to AoS. Just be sure your opponent(s) would be fine with playing against a Legends army.

Edited by Newtype_Zero
Clarification

On 10/24/2020 at 11:50 PM, Kopfnussklopfer said:

I have many many Boys with 2 weapons and some with Bows.
I also have many normal Goblins with spears and many with Bows (no Night Goblins).
I have Orcs on Boars and Goblins on Wolfes.
Then i got an Orc Shaman and an Orc Bigboss and an Boss on Boar and an Nightgoblin Shaman.
I have a Rock Lobber (Catapult) and two Goblin Doom Diver (also Catapult, but much cooler). And then i also got 2 or 3 Orc Boar Charriots.
I also got Black Orcs, but they are older than the other models, looks like 4th edition. I bet they are much smaller than the new ones (and with much less armor).

This was an really cool army.
If they are in legends, i it means they are maybe somehow playable but they will be very very weak, right? Maybe not a great way to start new into AoS.

The two hand weapons, boar boys, Shaman, Big Boss and archers could be used as Savage Orruks,  I'm not too sure if they'd fit, but if you could fit the Chariots onto 90x52 bases (I think thats the right size) you could use them as Gore Gruntas. Just explain what is what, most of it should be self explanatory.

Have a go with Orruk Warclans, Big Waagh lets you use the Savage Orruks and Ironjawz sides in one army.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I second the idea of just using the old boys as Savage Orruks. Their loadouts will be the same (dual choppas are Morboys, shields can be regular Savages and bows as....bows.)

They will need some 32s at some point. Unless your friend group doesn't mind but personally rounds look better and have less issues. 

You might even consider painting some blue war paint or stuff to make them more savage. Using the chariots as Gruntas is actually rather inspired and old Warbosses can even work as either Big Bosses or Warchanters.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

All my old Orc models have been reassigned to my Ironjawz army as Ardboys.

As long as you are clear what is what to your opponents it really shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve used goblins as moonclan grots too without any issue. 

Enjoy getting a bit more life out of your ageing models!😍

On 3/3/2021 at 4:35 AM, PlasticCraic said:

Good job.  I've bought some hobby hessian type stuff to stick on the end of spears, although I fear it'll look awful!  

Will give it a try and see.

Ha! I cut up one of my daughter's 'scrunchies' and stuck that on the ends of a few of my grot spears whilst I waited for my purchases to arrive.

• Like 1