Storage and Transport: LRL

Howdyhedberg

Hello there! 
I don't recall if I did ask this at the main topic, but I decided to make a new topic for future reference.

I imagine that it will be rough on the models (especially the Vanari Wardens) to store them in foam.
The best solution seems to be to store them with magnets

I've never done it before, so I guess I'm asking for suggestions and help from all the wise people here at the forum.

Some questions:

• How do you transport your LRL models? How do you storage them?
  • What size on the magnets do you use for the wardens (and it would be interesting to hear about Teclis and the spirit of the mountain too).

• Like 1

Good topic, that issue often comes up. 

I heard that magnetizing is not that good if you have to fly a lot, which is likely in my case if everything gets back to a more normal situation. 

Therefore I bought the Lumineth custom-cut foams from Battle Foam. I’ve just received the information that they are on the way today. I heard a bit of mixed feedback about them, but figured this is the best solution for me. So far I had good interactions with them. I’ll update here how I feel about the product once I’m using it. 

Not exactly what you are asking for Howdyhedberg, but might be still interesting for some people, I hope. 

Edited by LuminethMage
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Duncan Rhodes just put up a video on YouTube in which he explains how you can build your own miniatures case.

I saw that video. It was great. My only question after that is what size magnets I should get? (In metric system).

18 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Good topic, that issue often comes up. 

I heard that magnetizing is not that good if you have to fly a lot, which is likely in my case if everything gets back to a more normal situation. 

Therefore I bought the Lumineth custom-cut foams from Battle Foam. I’ve just received the information that they are on the way today. I heard a bit of mixed feedback about them, but figured this is the best solution for me. So far I had good interactions with them. I’ll update here how I feel about the product once I’m using it. 

Not exactly what you are asking for Howdyhedberg, but might be still interesting for some people, I hope. 

I was thinking about putting that question too, but wasn't sure if there is anyone that would buy foam :)! Let us know how it works!

4 hours ago, Howdyhedberg said:

I saw that video. It was great. My only question after that is what size magnets I should get? (In metric system).

I was thinking about putting that question too, but wasn't sure if there is anyone that would buy foam :)! Let us know how it works!

Me and many of the guys I play with (or, well, used to play with before this year) at my local shop use Battlefoam Magna Racks for transport - and honestly, with how spindly and easy to break the Lumineth models are, I'd probably have invested in one by now if I hadn't already owned one. As @Pyrescribe showed, there are definitely cheaper alternatives out there - but if you're willing to pay for them, I've never heard anyone complain about the quality you get for the price. I particularly appreciate that you can re-arrange the spacer legs within the case to make extra room for bigger models, so I shouldn't have any issues accommodating Teclis or Avalenor once I add them to my army (I can already comfortably fit the Stardrake and Celestant-Prime, which are also plenty big).

I'm not sure if there is a different/equivalent magnet type sold in the UK/EU, but thus far for my Lumineth I've been magnetizing with N42 D2H1 magnets. When glued directly to bottom, they're exactly the right size to fit most bases I've used - 32mm, 40mm, 50mm, and the 60x35 ovals used for the Dawnriders. They're just a tiny bit too tall for 25mm bases, though. 

As an added bonus, since all my models are already magnetized for transport, I also picked up some of the magnetic movement trays from MiniMagTray. I expect they'll make it a bit easier to keep my Wardens and Sentinels in base-to-base contact to maintain Shining Company while moving them around the board, which could be a bit laborious if I had to move every model individually.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, l1censetochill said:

Me and many of the guys I play with (or, well, used to play with before this year) at my local shop use Battlefoam Magna Racks for transport - and honestly, with how spindly and easy to break the Lumineth models are, I'd probably have invested in one by now if I hadn't already owned one. As @Pyrescribe showed, there are definitely cheaper alternatives out there - but if you're willing to pay for them, I've never heard anyone complain about the quality you get for the price. I particularly appreciate that you can re-arrange the spacer legs within the case to make extra room for bigger models, so I shouldn't have any issues accommodating Teclis or Avalenor once I add them to my army (I can already comfortably fit the Stardrake and Celestant-Prime, which are also plenty big).

I'm not sure if there is a different/equivalent magnet type sold in the UK/EU, but thus far for my Lumineth I've been magnetizing with N42 D2H1 magnets. When glued directly to bottom, they're exactly the right size to fit most bases I've used - 32mm, 40mm, 50mm, and the 60x35 ovals used for the Dawnriders. They're just a tiny bit too tall for 25mm bases, though. 

As an added bonus, since all my models are already magnetized for transport, I also picked up some of the magnetic movement trays from MiniMagTray. I expect they'll make it a bit easier to keep my Wardens and Sentinels in base-to-base contact to maintain Shining Company while moving them around the board, which could be a bit laborious if I had to move every model individually.

They look pretty big! But nice that they fit exactly. I have foam for my CoS army (that's mostly 25mm bases). Thanks for the suggestion.

14 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

? He explained every size in millimeters 

Maybe I didn't pay attention, i thought he only said for the space marine (that I guess have a 32mm base?). Have to check the video again.

I forgot to add in that comment that I was wondering if there is a bigger alternative instead of using 2 small ones.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Feel free to add options that you have or have been thinking about.

Edited by Howdyhedberg

I had my first game with LRL today and magnetized all my models to carry them in the boxes.

Imo, 5mm x 2mm seems to works well and hold strong enough despite I've tried shaking them while magnetized on the box. I have glued 2 of each magnet onto the base of each model for wardens, sentinels and dawnriders.

• Thanks 1

I super glued sheet metal into a wooden box (my daughter has lots of them from her Melissa and Doug toys). If you get the Flush-Fit Base Magnets from Magnet Baron, they work perfectly. One 6 mm x 2.2mm will hold on any infantry and you would probably be okay with the 4.5mm. I also carry my large figures this way so the 6mm were nice so I wouldn't need as many. 2.2mm thickness is the key though to sitting flush.

Today I’ve received my Battle Foam Lumineth custum-cut foams. As mentioned, this is only to show an alternative to people who can’t easily use magnets. The models fit well, and are relatively easy to put in and out (wardens, sentinels were easier than Dawnriders). You can have a bit of friction, so I have to see in the long run how well it works, but so far it looks good. The box is also really sturdy. 

92C6C49D-DEBC-42F4-A31C-F95F27364CF7.jpeg

99394420-6086-4B1E-8770-A89B567C3206.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/24/2020 at 3:51 PM, Charleston said:

I use an Ikea Kvissle Box with a sever machine bag for my armies. It´s a reasonable priced option:

ejdxzw91ghd31.jpg?width=2048&format=pjpg

Where did you get this bag. I've googled around and cant find a bag that is similar. I already have the ikea kvissle box coming and I'll want something to haul it around in.  Could you be so kind as to provide a link?

7 hours ago, Dream said:

Where did you get this bag. I've googled around and cant find a bag that is similar. I already have the ikea kvissle box coming and I'll want something to haul it around in.  Could you be so kind as to provide a link?

Of course! Althrough the Image is one I found online and I don´t know the exact bag, I´ve got a similar one I found recommended in another Thread Online.

I don´t know if you are living in Germany, if not, try looking at Amazon for an (Overlock) sewing machine bag. I can´t recommend enough to use a bag with an LWD that is a little bigger than the case (33x36x26,5 is about the minimum, 34x37x27 should be perfect match). Also, if you have any connections to people who can sew, concider asking them i they could tailor one for your needs. It is a quite easy project, even for beginners.

My Bag if "push fit" in terms of spending a very painfull and frustrating evening trying to push the bag around the kvissle box. It works, but is really not the most comfy work.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Carry-Overlock-Sewing-Machines-Gritzner/dp/B01N65POJL/ref=sr_1_11?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=gritzner+bag&qid=1605257745&sr=8-11

If you find a good one that is a bit too high, concider using a foam tray to transport additional minis.

Edited by Charleston
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2020 at 3:35 PM, LuminethMage said:

Today I’ve received my Battle Foam Lumineth custum-cut foams. As mentioned, this is only to show an alternative to people who can’t easily use magnets. The models fit well, and are relatively easy to put in and out (wardens, sentinels were easier than Dawnriders). You can have a bit of friction, so I have to see in the long run how well it works, but so far it looks good. The box is also really sturdy. 

I have bought the same foams myself but I haven't found a case for their size... Did you get it also from battlefoam or from another company? 🙂

46 minutes ago, Siegfried VII said:

I have bought the same foams myself but I haven't found a case for their size... Did you get it also from battlefoam or from another company? 🙂

I bought the case with it. What I bought was called PACK 720 Mole Lumineth Starter Load Out or something like that. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

I bought the case with it. What I bought was called PACK 720 Mole Lumineth Starter Load Out or something like that. 

I see! I will check it out because in the summer I searched high and low on their site and all the cases were either too big or too small and I ended up putting the foams in a bag which is far from the optimum choice.. 😅

Thanks for the help mate! 🙂

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 9:59 AM, Charleston said:

Of course! Althrough the Image is one I found online and I don´t know the exact bag, I´ve got a similar one I found recommended in another Thread Online.

I don´t know if you are living in Germany, if not, try looking at Amazon for an (Overlock) sewing machine bag. I can´t recommend enough to use a bag with an LWD that is a little bigger than the case (33x36x26,5 is about the minimum, 34x37x27 should be perfect match). Also, if you have any connections to people who can sew, concider asking them i they could tailor one for your needs. It is a quite easy project, even for beginners.

My Bag if "push fit" in terms of spending a very painfull and frustrating evening trying to push the bag around the kvissle box. It works, but is really not the most comfy work.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Carry-Overlock-Sewing-Machines-Gritzner/dp/B01N65POJL/ref=sr_1_11?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=gritzner+bag&qid=1605257745&sr=8-11

If you find a good one that is a bit too high, concider using a foam tray to transport additional minis.

Do you think this one would be ideal to Kvissle?

Luxja Overlock Bag for Overlock Machines, Overlock Bag for Storage Overlock Sewing Machines, Coverlock Bag for Transport Overlock Machine and Accessories, 33 cm x 30.5 cm x 34 cm, Black: Amazon.de: Küche & Haushalt

According to Ikea Kvissle is 32/25/32 cm. I dont know the size for a battletome, but maybe i could fit one of those in the bag too?

On 11/5/2020 at 2:35 PM, LuminethMage said:

Those look way nice! But the price is a little bit to much for my taste... I think i will go for the Kvissle method. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 12:34 AM, Howdyhedberg said:

Do you think this one would be ideal to Kvissle?

Luxja Overlock Bag for Overlock Machines, Overlock Bag for Storage Overlock Sewing Machines, Coverlock Bag for Transport Overlock Machine and Accessories, 33 cm x 30.5 cm x 34 cm, Black: Amazon.de: Küche & Haushalt

According to Ikea Kvissle is 32/25/32 cm. I dont know the size for a battletome, but maybe i could fit one of those in the bag too?

Those look way nice! But the price is a little bit to much for my taste... I think i will go for the Kvissle method. 

Uff, hard to tell. It could fit due to the 10cm extra room. But concider that the bag has rounded edges while the KVISSLE has (in best LRL tradition) pointy ones.

• Like 1