Chaos army built around new Chaos units only?

PiotrW

On 11/23/2020 at 4:30 AM, PiotrW said:

Okay, so I've just been reading the Warhammer Community article on themed armies that could be done with Broken Realms rules and I saw this bit about Slaves to Darkness:

The Idolators can take any Cultist unit as Battleline.

And I went: "Whaaaaaat?"

This is a total gamechanger when it comes to my "Chaos army without boring Chaos core units" project. Not saying that this would lead to a strong army, but... heck, something to consider :)

I have some questions, then:

1. Do you guys think that picking up the BR: Morathi book is a good idea? Or are the rules inside going to be temporary - or incorporated into future battletomes?

2. Does picking up the StD battletome now make sense? Or, maybe, BR will lead to AoS 3.0 in a few months and a brand new StD battletome coming on its heels?

I think the rules have a good chance of sticking around for awhile, and possibly being rolled into the next battletome when it comes around. GW is most likely aware of how terrible the cultists are at present through sales figures, so I presume they'll see some sort of rework in the future, and it just makes sense for them to be battleline considering their place in the hierarchy.

• 1 month later...
On 11/23/2020 at 1:30 PM, PiotrW said:

Okay, so I've just been reading the Warhammer Community article on themed armies that could be done with Broken Realms rules and I saw this bit about Slaves to Darkness:

The Idolators can take any Cultist unit as Battleline.

And I went: "Whaaaaaat?"

This is a total gamechanger when it comes to my "Chaos army without boring Chaos core units" project. Not saying that this would lead to a strong army, but... heck, something to consider :)

You should have a look at the new FAQ/Errata for the Broken Realms Morathi Book then. They now can even get MARKS of Chaos!!!

I have some questions, then:

1. Do you guys think that picking up the BR: Morathi book is a good idea? Or are the rules inside going to be temporary - or incorporated into future battletomes?

I think you can run that army at least for 1.5 years. Then there will be new shiny toys...

2. Does picking up the StD battletome now make sense? Or, maybe, BR will lead to AoS 3.0 in a few months and a brand new StD battletome coming on its heels?

Some battletomes are out for several years now (Maggotkin of Nurgle for example) some got rereleased in short distances (Stormcast Eternals) – nobody knows.