With Soulblight probably in the making... a little poll

Blueraven84

Soulblight finaly gets remake, choose one theme  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your theme type

• Vampire + pirates = vampirets, yarrr shiver me timbers matey!
    • Nosferatu: bald headed creepy guys with alchemy thrown in
    • Classic baroque armored blood suckers: Carstein/Blood dragons
    • As they are right now in LoN battletome
    • Something totally else: discuss below
    • Sparkly skin daylight heroes with name that rhymes with Edward

11 minutes ago, El Antiguo Guardián said:

Can be funny if we get the new Soulblight book and then, at some point on Broken Realms, we can make an deat-faction Cities of Sigmar army like the DoK one, with 1 of each 4 units being a Soulblight one (not zombies or skellies even if they´re in the battletome) and just humans from CoS. That can be amazing.

I would LOVE that. A nice way to get shooting into Soulblight too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Classic armored bloodsuckers with the vampire heroes on bigger bases and sculpts

• Bring back the importance of Vampire Lords and Bloodlines
    • Customizing your vampire lord was great fun in the VC days
  • Link bloodlines to vampire lords and when the vampire lord dies then the bloodline weakens
  • Bring in mortal battleline units élite vampires can consume as a resource to boost their powers and recover damage
    • Creates a real skillcap when using  mortal units throughout the game

Something different could be nice, GW have been quite good at doing something new! ..

But was thinking a death army based on something like the crew of the Flying Dutchman from pirate of the caribbean, and you might still be able to give them a vampire touch.

None of the above. There's plenty of heavily armoured goons (StD, SCE) and FEC have the squicky vamp corner wrapped.

I would like Lahmian and Neferata be at least the initial focus. Neferata sees Morathai living large and decides she'd be foolish not to shake things up :)

1 hour ago, Leksika said:

None of the above. There's plenty of heavily armoured goons (StD, SCE) and FEC have the squicky vamp corner wrapped.

I would like Lahmian and Neferata be at least the initial focus. Neferata sees Morathai living large and decides she'd be foolish not to shake things up :)

Seems like you didn't get your wish. Better google "Soulblight Gravelords" real quick.

First look on the new models was quite nice...

pretty old school, pretty slick and pretty brutal with the LotR Ringwraith mace

i hope the lord will not be as fragile as the old one, give me something in the megaboss weight class, 8hp and a 3+\4++ with 2hp regen 😈 

As I said in the other thread, I really /really/ like this aesthetic for warhammer vampire models, particularly if they keep some of the old LoN line around serving them.  For example, this vampire lord would look pretty cool at the head of an army of skeletons and grave guard from the current kits, and the current wight king and necromancer models wouldn't look out of place as secondary heroes next to her.  GW could re-do all the existing non-plastic soulblight units in this style, replace the finecast stuff, and the overall line would hold up pretty darn well even next to entirely new factions like Lumineth or Idoneth, the current zombie and dire wolf kits maybe being the only exceptions.

On the other hand, this model this model lacks the 'carried or propelled forward on necromantic winds blowing from behind' aesthetic of the old 8e vamp count models.  8e introduced that aesthetic, right?  Or was that 7e?  So maybe it isn't intended to integrate into the existing vamp count holdover line after all?

Anyway, regardless of whether the vampyric Gravelords end up sharing space with the remaining holdovers of the old vamp count line as a sort of LoN 2.0 or are a completely novel all-vampires-all-the-time Soulblight ++ type of faction, I like this particular aesthetic style for new warhammer vamp models.  Classic, gothic feel, but still big heroic fantasy vibes, and in particular at home on the field of battle.  AoS is a war game after all.  As a big plus, cool warrior ladies in heavy baroque pointy fantasy plate armor are particularly nice to see in a game where some of the factions can be a bit of a sausage fest (admittedly less of a problem in the undead factions), and those that do feature a lot of lady warriors like DoK tend to follow more of a scantily clad, frank frazetta inspired mold.  To be clear, that's not a complaint about or indictment of that particular aesthetic, DoK in particular are a great looking army, just that I'd like to see some more big, armored warrior ladies like this vamp lord or the boss of the Khagra's Ravagers underworlds warband in the overall AoS line, and that's just one more reason why I love this new Vampire Lord model.

I like that the look has sort of a classic baroque horror feel, not as fantastically wild and over the top as, for instance, the OBR line, for those who want a less outlandish faction.  At the same time, she isn't so subdued or down to earth that she doesn't feel like she could exist in the same world setting.  I could buy a faction with this aesthetic existing within the overall Death Alliance alongside Nighthaunts and Ossiarchs.  I'd say FEC, too, but honestly the FEC model line and aesthetic kind of needs to be expanded on a bit in order to really hold up next to the others.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sception said:

For example, this vampire lord would look pretty cool at the head of an army of skeletons and grave guard from the current kits, and the current wight king and necromancer models wouldn't look out of place as secondary heroes next to her.

Wait, it's a female vampire? I completely missed that!

*goes back to the preview to take a second look*

Hmmm. I guess it could be a woman... or a thin man. The article doesn't say otherwise...

Based on the higher res photo, they could be read either way, or neither, and that's cool, too.

Though I do have some nitpicks with it now that I see it in higher res.  The armor's a bit skinnier then I prefer in fantasy fullplate.  And the pose is a bit awkward, particularly the weird angle on the rock they're standing on?  why are they standing on a random highly angled rock?  it's not particularly elevated or anything, even if they were standing over that rock, wouldn't they just put their feet on the flat sturdy ground on either side?  Perched on a gravestone or something would have been better, or just standing on the ground, or if it had to be a random rock just a flat one.

Oh, well.  relatively minor complaints.  I still very much like the model, just maybe not quite as much as the version of it I imagined in my mind from the potato cam picture.

Edited by Sception

Of the two new Vampires we have seen, I think I prefer Bat Hair over 80s Hair, but they are both really nice. I like that they decided to go with plate armour with a bat wing motif as their aesthetic choice.

I hope we get creatures of the night in addition to skeletons and zombies with this new battletome. I am fully willing to build that Castlevania army.

• LOVE IT! 1

• 1 month later...

I vote for various units representing various vampire subtypes/bloodlines. I want mad science vampires, Egyptian themed vampire ladies, knights, and Dracula. My ideal Soulblight army is the replacement for LoN and has a place for all the old world vampire archetypes. You could have a construct/frankensteins monster type unit for the Necrarch, chariots for the Lahmians, blood knights for the Blood Dragons, and bat swarms, wolves, and fel bats for the Von Carstein guys. You could even set the von Carsteins up as morally ambiguous based on Vlad during the end times and have them only serve Nagash on paper like some of the FeC courts do.

Edited by herohammer
  • Like 2

I like the direction we've been seeing out of Cursed City, apart from maybe the oddball choice to have the zombies carrying around a plot of land on their backs.  But other than that, a good, gothic horror feel, nice, classic looking models that would have felt at home back in Sylvania.  A nice variety of vampire styles too, between the cursed city, underworlds, and leaked SBG vamps.

While they seem to be bringing back some sort of bloodlines, when it comes to individual style I hope they go for a more individualistic, hodge podge approach, with vampires following their own personal styles rather than every vampire in a given dynasty having the same personality and fashion sense.  If there was one thing I didn't like about oldhammer vampires, it's that every blood dragon, necrarch, lahmian, and strigoi were effectively interchangeable as characters, and it led to boring narratives and boring builds in game.  The only bloodline with any variety to them were the von carsteins, and that's only because they had characters with radically different styles (Vlad as the classic dracula, Mannfred as a scheming spellcaster who avoided direct confrontation where possible, and konrad as a brute warrior who eschewed subtlety and spellcasting) that had been established long before bloodlines were a thing.

I do have reason to hope on this front - the rat prince vampire for underworlds has all sorta rat themed powers, but from his description they derive from the particular circumstances of his transformation, they weren't inhereted in any way from his sire.  Fingers crossed that generic vampire heroes you field have enough flexibility to likewise follow individual paths.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2021 at 2:18 AM, Sception said:

I like the direction we've been seeing out of Cursed City, apart from maybe the oddball choice to have the zombies carrying around a plot of land on their backs.  But other than that, a good, gothic horror feel, nice, classic looking models that would have felt at home back in Sylvania.  A nice variety of vampire styles too, between the cursed city, underworlds, and leaked SBG vamps.

While they seem to be bringing back some sort of bloodlines, when it comes to individual style I hope they go for a more individualistic, hodge podge approach, with vampires following their own personal styles rather than every vampire in a given dynasty having the same personality and fashion sense.  If there was one thing I didn't like about oldhammer vampires, it's that every blood dragon, necrarch, lahmian, and strigoi were effectively interchangeable as characters, and it led to boring narratives and boring builds in game.  The only bloodline with any variety to them were the von carsteins, and that's only because they had characters with radically different styles (Vlad as the classic dracula, Mannfred as a scheming spellcaster who avoided direct confrontation where possible, and konrad as a brute warrior who eschewed subtlety and spellcasting) that had been established long before bloodlines were a thing.

I do have reason to hope on this front - the rat prince vampire for underworlds has all sorta rat themed powers, but from his description they derive from the particular circumstances of his transformation, they weren't inhereted in any way from his sire.  Fingers crossed that generic vampire heroes you field have enough flexibility to likewise follow individual paths.

absolutely could not agree more