Ogroid Myrmidon

RuneBrush

Not done a massive amount of AoS painting recently as I've largely been doing 40k/Necromunda.  However this weekend I painted up one of the Warcry Ogroid Myrmidon's (it's being sent off to be added to a joint Armies on Parade entry).  It's been really nice to paint something completely different and lovely to do something that wasn't destined for an army.  Although this had a pretty quick turn around, the sculpt is fantastic and if you've been toying with the idea of picking one up, I would thoroughly recommend it.

I'll try and get some better pictures of him at some point - his posture actually makes it pretty tricky to get a good photo of as his face is quite far forward.

Really fancy painting the fomoroid now 🤔

EkOKnpUXcAAMyxN?format=jpg&name=large

EkOKoe0XYAcOVsp?format=jpg&name=large

EkOKpU-XgAcsDju?format=jpg&name=large

EkOKqLJXYAI3dT8?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 8
  • LOVE IT! 8

2 hours ago, Tommy said:

So gladiatorial! Beautiful work!

Thanks!  I can really see this miniature appearing in a pit fighting type scenario in something like Warhammer Quest 😃

2 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

I love the reds you used 😍

Your Myrmidon turned out to be really cool!

Thank you 😊  The reds were lots of progressive layers of Volupus Pink followed by Flesh Tearer Red on top of a white undercoat.  Together they've given it a much richer colour than I could have achieved with a brush.

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Crazy smooth transitions. Amazing

Cheers.  It really helped that the model has some really fantastic definition across it, which made it a lot easier to get the blends right.

16 hours ago, JackStreicher said:

Did you use an air brush to put on the contrast alyers? (I usualy run int the trouble of the layers drowning out the details , no matter how much I thin down my contrasts)

I airbrushed pretty much all of the flesh.  The first volupus pink layer was applied really heavily and then Vallejo Flat Tan on the chest and then flicking between tan and flesh tearer red.  Contrast through the airbrush is weird, you either have to apply it really heavily, flooding the area and then you get normal contrast effect or you apply it as a thin layer that works more like a filter.  I prefer to apply it thinly as there's more control but it requires pre-shading and you need to build the shadows by applying multiple layers up.  The airbrush also works a lot better if it's a flat layer as it won't naturally get into the nooks and crannies.

That said, the hair (fur?) was done traditionally using a couple of coats of flesh tearer red over vallejo aged white.  The black blend was touched up with the airbrush and I did apply a little bit of matt varnish to remove some of the gloss finish.  What I have found in the past is that if the layer you're applying the contrast onto is too matte, the paint doesn't flow properly.  You ideally want a satin or slightly gloss finish to the paint - which is very counter to what we'd normally want.

• LOVE IT! 1