Path to Glory - Battalions

Popisdead

I'm starting up some PtG again locally and was wondering if people felt Battalions were too OP in the games?  

I feel the game is so wildly unbalanced it wouldn't make much a difference (I recall playing slaanesh when it was released and getting a -1 rend and my opponent got two giants).

Also do you roll your starting warband or pick it?

Thanks,

I think most people pick when you add new models to your warband (including your starting warband). If only because most people want to choose the models they like, rather than leaving it to the whims of fate (I don't expect many people are choosing what they buy for an army by rolling dice).

As for battalions. Personally, I won't use them because I think Path to Glory generally gets played up until just past the '1000' point level and I don't feel like battalions make a ton of sense at that level, but ultimately I don't think (although it's been a while since I read the path to glory rules) that they're in the rules, which I guess either means they're not available, or like all things, just discuss with your group.

Maybe it could count as requiring a glory point to be spent to upgrade your units into a battalion to show that it costs your time and effort to work in a regimented fashion to gain those bonuses.

I would highly reccomend checking out Road to Renown--it's essentially a second edition for Path to Glory that makes things considerably more balanced and curbs several excesses while also opening up more options. Even for those who prefer the basic PtG ruleset the updated warband tables do wonders.

As for battalions, it depends on which one. Like, it REALLY depends on which one. Some will break PtG, others are borderline useless, and their actual point cost is not at all a good indicator (the PtG dynamic is very different from Matched Play). IMO in your case I would say replace a follower choice with getting that battalion. It is not super strong, but you will be getting an extra artifact and CP out of it in addition to the base benefit.