What's the best army you can build around Soul Grinders?

Magnus The Blue

Just what it says on the tin, I love the Soul Grinder models and am currently converting and painting up 3, but just can't decide what army to build around them.  I know they are never going to be top tier competitive, but it'd be great to be good enough to challenge most people in pickup games and local events.  Some ideas I've had are:

Slaanesh- Syll'Esske Host: have a great battalion (only one for soul grinders) that gives them +1 to hit and Saves, but they don't synergise at all with the host abilities and with a shooting strong meta and realm artefacts gone the Host is very weak.

Slaves to Darkness despoilers: has some nice synergies with the grinders, but feels like choosing a weak alligence on top or 630 points of meh units is crippling myself too much.

Anyone had any joy running multiple soul grinder or have any ideas for a good army to put them in?

I do not own Soul Grinders. However, I like the models and calculated very often how to best make them work. 

The Slaanesh bataillon is really good, but since Syll`Eske kinda sucks, it is not recommended.

The best recommendation I can give is using the Khorne allegiance. Khorne has multiple ways of buffing Soul Grinders. First of all, the +1 to hit can also be applied in a Khorne army due to prayers. A +1 to save prayer is also something Soul Grinders really like.

Furthermore, Khorne has several possibilities to increase the number of attacks, namely the Bloodsecrator and Wrathmongers. +2 attacks on a model with so many different attack profiles is huge. 

On top of that, the Reapers of Vengeance Command Ability allows your Soul Grinders to pile in and attack twice. So that is a lot of buffing potential for Soul Grinders. The reason Khorne players do not play Soul Grinders is because Blood Thirsters can be buffed in the same way, are more mobile and  have a higher damage output- at least the Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage or Skarbrand most people play. 

However, if you want to play Soul Grinders, Khorne allegiance is the way to go in my opinion. Just test it out and please report how it went, so that I can think about getting some as well ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might also be worth looking at nurgle with munificent wanderers. Passively they get to reduce rend by 1 in melee, and deal mortals on hits taken of 6's if in range of the general.  There's also various buffs they can get as a nurgle daemon in that army. The base sizes will be a pain if you bring in GUO / glottkin etc, aswell though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Salyx said:

The Slaanesh bataillon is really good, but since Syll`Eske kinda sucks, it is not recommended.

I think the Slaanesh battalion is mandatory almost for Soul Grinders.  Helps overcome the poorer WS/BS.  

Also the Syll'Eske double depravity is a better way of building a Hedonites of Slaanesh army combined with some STD heroes who have access to some healing abilities.  Keepers are constantly ragged on lately as a liability.

I would definitely agree with Khorne or Nurgle. Khorne you can still get +1 to Hit or Save via prayers (though only on 1 at a time), in addition to the bonus attack buffs. Nurgle gives them run+charge with the tree, combined with a bonus attack from either the GUO or Glottkin command ability for turn one engagement in both shooting and melee, regardless of deployment distance.

On 10/16/2020 at 12:45 AM, KhaosZand3r said:

I would definitely agree with Khorne or Nurgle. Khorne you can still get +1 to Hit or Save via prayers (though only on 1 at a time), in addition to the bonus attack buffs. Nurgle gives them run+charge with the tree, combined with a bonus attack from either the GUO or Glottkin command ability for turn one engagement in both shooting and melee, regardless of deployment distance.

I did it with Nurgle and to be honest: it sucks. The offensive power of Soulgrinders is way too low. Besides the turn one charge capabilities I can´t see a special reason to bring it in Nurgle allegiance.

Why not just Slaves to Darkness?

1 hour ago, Hannibal said:

I did it with Nurgle and to be honest: it sucks. The offensive power of Soulgrinders is way too low. Besides the turn one charge capabilities I can´t see a special reason to bring it in Nurgle allegiance.

Why not just Slaves to Darkness?

If you are using a Soul Grinder for dedicated offense, you miss the point of the Soul Grinder. It's best used as a DISTRACTION CARNIFEX, a big monster that the enemy THINKS is scary and therefore wastes time prioritizing it instead of your units that actually matter. Its huge base also makes it an effective roadblock.

The point of throwing buffs on it would be to either make up for its lacking offense, or convince the enemy that for the turn it is a bigger threat to deal with. 

OP asked what the best set up to make them work is, and S2D does very little for them.

Edited by KhaosZand3r

I would imagine despoilers S2D would be the way to go, with healing and line of sight shenanigans.

I've been tempted to run something to the effect of:

Allegiance: Slaves to Darkness -

Damned Legion: Despoilers

LEADERS

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)- General- Command Trait: Radiance of Dark Glory - Sword- Artefact: Diabolic Mantle - Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh

Slaves to Darkness Daemon Prince (210)- Sword- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh

Be'Lakor (240)

Chaos Sorcerer Lord on Manticore (260)- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh- Spell: Mask of Darkness

UNITS

20 x Chaos Marauders (160)- Axes & Shields- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh

20 x Chaos Marauders (160)- Axes & Shields- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh

5 x Chaos Warriors (90)- Hand Weapon & Shield

BEHEMOTHS

Soul Grinder (210)- Mark of Chaos: Slaanesh

ENDLESS SPELLS / TERRAIN / COMMAND POINTS

Soulsnare Shackles (40)

I'm not sure if Slaanesh is the optimal mark here, but it's mostly on account of how I've converted all my stuff.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Tzeentch could be fun, using your destiny dice to trigger the D6 mortal wounds on the claw. 

Also there's several nasty agendas that could buff it for the rest of the game:  +1 attacks on charge or +1 save or +1 to hit in melee. 

Put him next to a tzeentch daemon hero and he's -1 to hit in melee thanks to locus of change, put an aura of mutability on the daemon hero then he'll be +1 to wound. 

Add in some mortals like a Fatemaster and he could reroll hits  (along with some other nearby units )for 1 CP.  Add in a mortal caster and he could have a shield of fate for reroll saves and 4+ spell immunity.

Put him in hosts duplicitous and he can't be retreated from :)

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2020 at 9:06 PM, StickEGreen said:

Tzeentch could be fun, using your destiny dice to trigger the D6 mortal wounds on the claw. 

Also there's several nasty agendas that could buff it for the rest of the game:  +1 attacks on charge or +1 save or +1 to hit in melee. 

Put him next to a tzeentch daemon hero and he's -1 to hit in melee thanks to locus of change, put an aura of mutability on the daemon hero then he'll be +1 to wound. 

Add in some mortals like a Fatemaster and he could reroll hits  (along with some other nearby units )for 1 CP.  Add in a mortal caster and he could have a shield of fate for reroll saves and 4+ spell immunity.

Put him in hosts duplicitous and he can't be retreated from :)

Some great ideas here. I´m painting some Tzentch Followers right now and there is that Soulgrinder lying around for years now...

Thanks!

On 10/17/2020 at 4:35 PM, KhaosZand3r said:

If you are using a Soul Grinder for dedicated offense, you miss the point of the Soul Grinder. It's best used as a DISTRACTION CARNIFEX, a big monster that the enemy THINKS is scary and therefore wastes time prioritizing it instead of your units that actually matter. Its huge base also makes it an effective roadblock.

Used a Soul Grinder this way in a TZ Arcanites centric list exactly this way against Mawtribes at 1.5K and it won me the game as my opponent threw everything at it on the far side of the board where I’d placed it.  Meanwhile the rest of my army either cast spells, building up points to Summon, or claimed objectives.  By the time they got their heavy hitters back in the game I’d degraded them with spells and shooting and wracked up a solid VP lead.

But I’d agree with @Salyx that if I was going to try and run them as more than a DC I’d be running them with Khorne.  As noted not as good as a Bloodthirster but can add some nice ranged attacks to an army largely lacking them...

I'll suggest something that nobody has mentioned yet... Legion of Chaos Ascendant.  Allegiance gives 6+ FNP and a fight on death spell (probably not that good with a monster profile).  I would build the list around a GUO, with a Nurgle mark on the Soul Grinders to launch them into combat and CP them +1 attack.  Then an Epitome as the general with Ruinous Aura command trait to get them a 5++ FNP , war-scroll spell of Reroll 1s to hit (cast on their targets), and Burning Head to give the +1 to hit.  The Soul Grinders act as the Distraction Carnefex while the GUO summons Plague Bearers and caps objectives.  Fill the rest in with whatever you like... it isn't amazing, but seems like it would be fun to play.

I really like this Contorted Epitome setup, 9 attacks with 5+ to hit being D3 MW, double caster with reroll casting and a decent warscroll spell.  Survivable 5++ wound FNP, 2++ mortal wound FNP.

Allegiance: Legion of Chaos Ascendant

Leaders
Great Unclean One (320)
- Bile Blade & Doomsday Bell
- Spell: Echo of Hatred
The Contorted Epitome (210)
- General
- Command Trait: Ruinous Aura
- Artefact: Fourfold Blade
- Spell: Echo of Hatred

Units
Soul Grinder (210)