Building 2000pts of sce

MightyMetro

Im new to Stormcast . And would like some advice with forming a 2000pt list starting with a Thunderhead Brotherhood a Justicar Conclave i battalions for my first two drops.

Battleline
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandblades
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1x Grandhammers
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows
5 x Judicators (140)
- Skybolt Bows
- 1x Shockbolt Bows

Units
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (170)

Battalions
Thunderhead Brotherhood (150)
Vanguard Justicar Conclave (120)

Total: 1420 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 86

The general game plan would be:

deploy aetherwings and raptors with longstrike crossbows (5 units)

deepstrike 5 liberators supported by 5 judicators twice to initially secure objectives (4 units)

deepstrike 5 liberators supported by 3 raptors with hurricane crossbows to provide a chaff shield. (2 units)

Rush the aether wings to further shield the liberators and buff character sniping from raptors

This leaves 580 points to complete my line up.

i have the following available to include in my first 2000pts

Leaders
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (200)
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
Lord-Relictor (100)
Knight-Incantor (120)
Knight-Vexillor (110)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
Units
3 x Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers (90)
5 x Retributors (190)
3 x Castigators (70)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Dais Arcanum (30)
Everblaze Comet (100)
Celestian Vortex (30)

how would you proceed?

Personally I'd take the vexillor and Relictor for teleportation and probably, the incantor for the auto dispel and the warscroll spel can be a nice deterrent to deep striking.

With the last 250? I'd personally  normally want an aggressive melee unit to either distract your opponent from the raptors or to punish those over committing to chasing the raptors however I'm not sure retributors are gonna give you the punch you need. My gut feeling is the comet, prosecutors for capping objectives and a command point are your best bet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattrulesok said:

With the last 250? I'd personally  normally want an aggressive melee unit to either distract your opponent from the raptors or to punish those over committing to chasing the raptors however I'm not sure retributors are gonna give you the punch you need.

Yeah, i know what you mean, i dont seem to have any aggressive units at all :(  As an army i guess they have to get in position and just hold their ground.

assuming that i keep the 2 battalions, but im prepared to go out and buy new models, do you have any recommendations for the last 580 pts?

20 hours ago, MightyMetro said:

Yeah, i know what you mean, i dont seem to have any aggressive units at all :(  As an army i guess they have to get in position and just hold their ground.

assuming that i keep the 2 battalions, but im prepared to go out and buy new models, do you have any recommendations for the last 580 pts?

I have the same problem(but I have less minis than you), I think evocators, Dracoline unit or ballistas + ordinator could be a solution since you have just the 9x of raptors.

Also I found this list:

Did well and isn’t so far of what we have.

Edited by baiardo
  • Like 2

On 10/7/2020 at 2:02 AM, MightyMetro said:

Im new to Stormcast . And would like some advice with forming a 2000pt list starting with a Thunderhead Brotherhood a Justicar Conclave i battalions for my first two drops.
how would you proceed?

My main sense is that with 10 judicators and 9 raptors, you have way too much shooting. You could drop the judicators and the battalion for something more productive?

IMO for 9 raptors, you need an anvil of some sort as well, to keep the enemy from just charging down your raptors. Aetherwings and MSU liberators are just not good enough. 

• Like 1

Honestly I think the best thing you can do is play with the army you have now as that's the quickest way to work out what you're missing. 

I think you'll find the thunderhead battalion does very little and the raptors may be better served being in units of 6, assuming you are playing anvils to get the most out of your shooting. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 8:07 PM, baiardo said:

think evocators, Dracoline unit or ballistas + ordinator could be a solution since you have just the 9x of raptors.

Also I found this list:

Did well and isn’t so far of what we have.

That’s interesting.  It suggests the strategy might work.  As long as i implement it correctly!

21 hours ago, Evantas said:

My main sense is that with 10 judicators and 9 raptors, you have way too much shooting.

I know what you’re saying.  SE do a lot more damage in melee.  But, my logic was to try shield and hold my ground while picking off key targets.

22 hours ago, Evantas said:

Aetherwings and MSU liberators are just not good enough. 

I know that sequitors,  are probably better.  But my hope was that ghb points reductions and the battalion save buff for the shielded juds would mitigate.

also aetherwing chaff can increase my unit numbers for teleport deployment, and then they can move forward fast to shield and aid raptor snipers.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:07 PM, baiardo said:

have the same problem(but I have less minis than you), I think evocators, Dracoline unit or ballistas + ordinator could be a solution since you have just the 9x of raptors.

These arguments lead me to think:

Evos with grandstaves Further Evos on Dracoline -the stormstike boxset list!  Now i have 10 seqs so i can ditch the Libs.  Then, i should probably just replace the other libs with more seqs,  and a Lord Arcanuum  for battleline purposes. Half the main box will give me a ballista too. I end up with something like 

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (200)
Knight-Incantor (120)

Battleline

Units
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Evocators (210)
- 5x Grandstaves
5 x Evocators (210)
- 5x Grandstaves
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (260)
3 x Castigators (70)

Artillery
Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 130

is this closer to the mark?  Seems strong. Its a big change - almost a new army - but essentially im just replacing my all the AoS 1.0 models with their 2.0 equivalents. That doesn’t feel like value for realworld money.

3 hours ago, MightyMetro said:

is this closer to the mark?  Seems strong. Its a big change - almost a new army - but essentially im just replacing my all the AoS 1.0 models with their 2.0 equivalents. That doesn’t feel like value for realworld money.

Just to note, I meant to say that MSU liberators are not good anvils, you probably need like a 10-man liberator unit, preferably with a Castellant backing them up, to be able to have any effect.  

5-man Sequitors are barely better than 5-man Liberators, they are an even greater waste of points. 

If you can, why not just copy either the Starcast / Shootcast / Slayers lists?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MightyMetro said:

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (200)
Knight-Incantor (120)

Battleline

Units
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Sequitors (120)
5 x Evocators (210)
- 5x Grandstaves
5 x Evocators (210)
- 5x Grandstaves
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Aetherwings (40)
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (260)
3 x Castigators (70)

Artillery
Celestar Ballista (110)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 130

If you want to go with evos on dracolines I'll choose Lord Arcanum on dracolines to buff on charges.

make 1 unit of evos on foot 10x, make 1 unit of  10x sequitors.

the second unit of 5/10 sequitors if you want to use the warscroll battalion, if not go for lib.

At that point I'll go also with gavriel.

So my list would be something like this:

- Stormhost: Hammers of Sigmar

Leaders
Lord-Arcanum on Celestial Dracoline (210)
- General
Lord-Castellant (120)
Gavriel Sureheart (120)

Battleline
10 x Sequitors (240)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield
5 x Liberators (90)
- Warhammer & Shield

Units
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (260)
10 x Evocators (420)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)
3 x Aetherwings (40)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
Extra Command Point (50)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 121

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Evantas said:

Just to note, I meant to say that MSU liberators are not good anvils, you probably need like a 10-man liberator unit, preferably with a Castellant backing them up, to be able to have any effect.  

Ah, i follow.  Perhaps, i misunderstood. Thanks for the clarification.

i dont know

4 hours ago, Evantas said:

Starcast / Shootcast / Slayers lists

But i’ll do some research.  Thanks for the advice