Getting Priced Out

6 hours ago, Kadeton said:

Seems like nonsense to me. What kind of store owner thinks in terms of discounted percentage of retail, and not in terms of profit margin per unit?

I won't try to convince you (not sure what I could offer, or that there is even a need to, really), but it's not nonsense. You'd be surprised (clearly! 😁) how many bad, bad, bad business owners there are in the hobby/game/comic store industry, and how many of them really are that uneducated on these things.

It was soooooo frustrating in my old job. My goal, my honest, genuine goal, was to make these retailers dirty, rotten, filthy, stinking rich. I got no extra money if they succeeded, but:

1. My job got much easier.  I could focus on same store growth rather than replacement and re-education. Turning over new rocks (looking at trade publications, cold calling, etc.) stinks and is much harder than keeping existing stores going in the right direction.

2. As a gamer, I wanted (still want) the hobby to grow so I have opponents, places to play, and heathy manufacturers making me new toys.

It was maddening how much I had to drag store owners kicking and screaming to success. Those who fell back on discounts instead of service, loyalty programs, positive attitudes, and a great atmosphere in which to congregate and play, well, those who took the quick and easy path failed at a much higher rate, making my job harder.

Edit: @RuneBrush Just saw your note after posting. I'll stop now.

Edited by Sleboda
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 3:38 AM, Beastmaster said:

What isn’t, then?

Very little.

The issue with no politics is that it really isn't. It's "don't talk about divergence from the status quo too much". The way you live right now, the money you make, the right you have are maintained by politics, it isn't the natural state of man.

So questioning what GW has obligations to do, and what they SHOULD have the obligations to do is political. GW's obligations to its customers are enforced by political process, and any change to them whether increasing or decreasing those obligations, would be through political measures.

On 11/4/2020 at 3:47 AM, zilberfrid said:

I get what you mean, but I still think it's a bit of a stretch. I do not like GW's business strategy towards their customers. I do like some of their business strategies on a global and internal field.

I don't think something that isn't on the box, but part of what makes that box valuable should be enshrined in laws. I do think the back cover text for the Necromunda book should state it's useless on its own, and that sets should stop being sold longer before the removal of their warscrolls.

Which is why it never will be on the back of the box. Albeit political forces aren't just in what is and is not legal, but in pressure between competing interests too. Companies have internal politics for example, sometimes enshrined in policy and sometimes not.