FlipRecoil

So I posted a while back about a mobile armoured list for Cities. After some feedback I've come up with my second iteration of it.

Leaders
- Steam Tank Commander (General) (230)
Drillmaster
Steam-piston armour

- Cogsmith (60)
Macroscope

- Cogsmith (60)

- Lord-Ordinator (140)

Units

- 20 x Freeguild Guard (Battleline) Spears (160)

- 5 x Pistoliers (100)

- 5 x Pistoliers (100)

- Gyrocopter (70)

- Gyrocopter(70)

Behemoths

- Steam Tank (Battleline) (180)

- Steam Tank (Battleline) (180)

Artillery

- Helstorm Rocket Battery (130)

Battalions
- Greywater Fastness Artillery Company

1990/2000

The extra cogsmith is there just to help heal the tanks. The Lord-Ordinator can be swapped out for a unit of Irondrakes if things are a bit too "all eggs in one basket". Pistoliers were chosen simply to add some more mobility over a 20 man unit of handgunners. 

Any advice welcome. 

I posted this on reddit recently, might be intersting for you:

Have any of you experimented with the Helblaster Volley gun? I'm starting to think they are kind of legit (well, as legit as artillery can be in a game that favours high mobility).

If you go for the triple shot every time, you have a chance not to blow yourself up of about 85% with rerolls from the Cogsmith. That gives you an average of 3.24 wounds at rend -1 at max range, which is more than the Helstorm Rocket Battery gets you against every save except 2+. I originally thought the Rocket Battery was better for long range shooting, and the Volley Gun for short range, but outside of the higher max range on the Rocket Battery that does not seem to be true.

I'm starting to wonder if that max range is worth it. The volley gun already gets a range of 24" and a 3" move, so 27" threat range. If you go Greywater you get 3" bonus range on top of that. And you could possibly get run and shoot for the depending on your general trait. That will probably still allow you to hit any target you want to.

Let's see how far they can be pushed. In Greywater, you can take four Volley Guns in a Battalion with a Cogsmith, which makes them shoot twice turn 1. You can give them reroll ones to hit through a command trait. You can get +1 to hit from the Hurricanum and +1 more if you take a Lord Ordinator. That's four models, shooting twice, with on average 10 attacks at 2+/3+/-1/1 rerolling ones to hit. About 36 damage before saves factoring in misfires. Definitely enough to shoot Teclis or Nagash off the table.

What's nice, too, is that they are kind of independent after turn 1. They get +1 to hit on the warscroll if they are within 12" of their target, so the hurricanum can go do it's own thing after the first turn. They don't need to be defended as much as other artillery since they don't have a minimum range, and they are still able to just about delete a unit of your choice every turn after turn 1.

Now, to be clear: I don't think they are good enough to run competitively, but I think they might be a fun option to give your Cities army a second way of playing. The package of four guns and a cogsmith plus battalion comes in at 660 points and $145. What do you think?

I think you know you are not building a top competitive list if you go with Greywater artillery and steam tank spam, so no need to mention it. I would reconsider the second Cogsmith, though.  If you want him to support your Steam Tanks, he's just too slow to keep up and his healing is kind of weak. Your tanks should be rushing foreward and, well, tanking things. Can't have them wait around for a Cogsmith with his stumpy little legs. I'd say just get another Gyrocopter instead, they are fastly more effective if you have three.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 11:08 AM, Neil Arthur Hotep said:

I posted this on reddit recently, might be intersting for you:

I think you know you are not building a top competitive list if you go with Greywater artillery and steam tank spam, so no need to mention it. I would reconsider the second Cogsmith, though.  If you want him to support your Steam Tanks, he's just too slow to keep up and his healing is kind of weak. Your tanks should be rushing foreward and, well, tanking things. Can't have them wait around for a Cogsmith with his stumpy little legs. I'd say just get another Gyrocopter instead, they are fastly more effective if you have three.

Definitely something for me to think about. I also really love the Volley Gun models anyway. 

Recently I've been toying with the idea of using a Luminark too. Again mainly for the model, but the buffs and Burning gaze against mobs seem really useful.