40K Core Units - Good for AoS Maybe?

Sleboda

45 minutes ago, mojojojo101 said:

Couldnt you do exactly the same by hust adding a sentence at the end of the ability saying that units with the MONSTER or HERO keyword do not benefit from this ability.

Fixed the 'problem' without having g to rewrite and restructure the entire game.

Sure, of course. But the concept of Core doesn't restructure anything, it's just another means of referring to certain units. It's literally just another keyword, like all the keywords we already have.

40k has much more scope for unintended rules abuses than AoS imo (and yes I know there is lots of abuse-able stuff in AoS as well) . And I'm not keen on AoS becoming identical to 40k in terms of rules and how things interact. If I want to lay 40K, I'll play 40k, not fantasy 40K because AoS has used 9th edition as the basis for it's own ruleset.

And already 9th edition is suffering from lots of issues, such as the cap on modifiers, which is very good as an intended rule, but doesn't work in practise. For example, if your opponent is in dense cover they are -1 to be hit, so because you are already maxed out on negative to hit modifiers, you can then ignore any further negative modifiers that you might incur, such as moving and firing heavy weapons, which allows you use units in ways that you wouldn't normally when stacking up negative modifiers would normally give you something like -3 or -4 to hit, instead it's just capped at -1.

So yeah, core looks great for 40K as a way to stop certain rules abuses, but it's not needed for AoS.

I like it as a concept but I think there will be a real problem with how different it would affect the various armies. My daemons of Tzeentch would probably love said change (although they hardly need additional buffs) while my friends varied Gloomgitz army (with loads of different units) would most likely struggle to fulfill the requirements. In fact I can see a lot of top tier armies easily fulfilling the probable conditions for additional buffs while the bottom tier is likely to struggle to do so.

10 hours ago, Carnelian said:

I don't understand what having Core as a keyword would bring to AoS. Surely the rules writers can already limit what buffs apply to which units just by using targeted keywords that already exist?

Easiest example I can think of is the generic command abilities. Inspiring presence only works on Core troops, for example. Double pace only on Cavalry. etc. 

Because that's not yet possible. 

Edited by Kramer

I feel it's tricky.  This change really alters the scene for Marines but like,.. lesser armies sometimes really need something like this to compete better.  I don't also feel GW will do it well.  They miss stuff so often it often hurts armies a lot (4-wide Herds going from 6th to 7th ed for example and NEVER FIXING THAT with a FAQ).

For example the Branchwych.  She's a sort of apothecary that doesn't have rules in game that does anything of the like.  Her specialness is she has the old Drycha's ability of bonus attacks for taking wounds.  Why doesn't she make either Revenants better?  In any possible way.  

The Arch Revenant makes Kurnoth Hunters better.  Not other Revenants specifically but KHs.  uh... wut????  What if this rule becomes "Core" and KHs don't get Core.  Suddenly that unit looses some value.  And I fully expect GW do make a move like that rules-wise.  To be this dumb.  

I really want to say "yeah this is awesome, it will be great" but instead I ... just have concern.  I saw somewhere "AoS and 40k are not complicated games, but 40k really stagnates from 90% of it being in supplements and rules contradictions".   The other issue is 40k appears to be a 3 year cycle of all books in 18 months then supplements that won't last out the edition flip.  AoS doesn't have that kind of turnover, we are experiencing decently paced lore/world building.  

It could however be pretty cool.  I'm sure there could be lots of examples where this could work that my saltiness are preventing me from realizing haha!

Thinking of BoC it kind of already exists.  Brayherd, Warherd, DrOgur.  In a way each hero is keyworded to the ability.  Oh,.. nope back to salt, what if only Gors and Ungors get core and you cannot get the bonus for +3M from Great Bray-Shamans?  hmmm...  see?  easy to be salty when you're a hobby game who has life long favourite armies 😉  haha!