Hello there, new/returning player

RQItami

Hey my names Alex, 

Im a student from Germany, and Ive collected Warhammer and 40k minis or like 10 years now (mainly Vampire Counts). I actually never played a game before because I lived in a pretty rural land scape so nobody ever heared of wargaming. About a year ago I moved to a city to study so a couple weeks ago I thought I should get into AoS now that I have the chance to actually do so. 

My main problem is chosing a faction. I like big miniatures and cool looking characters. I kinda dislike horde armies and like to have some variety on the table. Playstyle wise I prefere meele focused factions with good magic and prayers. So far Ive mainly collected undead but I dont really know if they suite the named points. If you could recommend some of the factions fitting the description Id be really thankful.

Stay healthy and see you around

Itami

Welcome! I too know the paints of rural life and its crippling effect on finding games at times!

Now as for an army to play a few thoughts:

1) One thing you might try is heading to the GW website and steadily look at each army. Go through them one by one and open a new browser tab for each model in a single army. Then go through that army and look at each model; look at the rotational photos, look at the different angles; heck throw up google images and have a look at what others do. Then close the tab on any model you don't like the look of.

It's a very visually driven test, but its a neat one to see if you like all of an army; the idea but not the models; or if you like only one or two models or a lot. Sometimes it can help you make choices on what to go for. Of course its purely visual, but it helps. 

2)a) Death actually has some interesting options. Flesheater Courts can do an army which is just terrogasts and zombie dragons - all big monsters! Their regular army is very close combat based; though somewhat swarmy. Not as bad as, say, Skaven with clan rats, but they do rely on a good body of troops. 
Death also has access to Nagash who is one of the best wizards in the game. He can be in several different Death armies (Legions of Nagash, Ossiarch Bonereapers for certain, I suspect the others too but won't say so because I don't play them so can't be sure). 

b) You might also consider Seraphon. The Slaan are very powerful mages and you don't just get big models, you get dinosaur big models. If you go for less skinks you can avoid some of the unit spam; whilst stocking up on beefier lizards. They've also an army that survived the end of the Old World so they have a very good range of options at present 

Willkommen!

In addition what Overread said this might help you to whittle down the candidates a bit.

There are still many more that could fit with what you like, depending on which of the factors you mentioned are more important: Ogor Mawtribes, Orruks, Chaos factions, Fyreslayers etc., even the new released Lumineth aelves you can play mostly with big monsters, melee units and magic support, if you want to do so. 

Thank you for your answers :3

Ive already looked through the whole store. Problem is  there are actually a lot of armies I like the look of.  I also checked through pretty much all lists I could find in bcp and on aosshorts since I kinda want to go competitive at some point. The every army video Ive watchde as well, it was kinda what got me going to give the hobby another shot :D

The factions I liked, just from aesthetics were:

Death: (well yeah kinda see the opening post)

Waagh: Its meele, the models are great they dont seem to be too spammy but there isnt much choice looking at army choices

Cities: I love the theme of combining all the old good races in an Alliance army but they seem to be super spammy ranged focused which I hate

Stormcast Eternals: They have super awesome looking cahracters and Monsters but I only saw spammy ranged lists so far

Fyreslayers: Love the lore and the looks but it seems like the drakes arent played and there troop choices are kinda stale

Beasts of Chaos: Like the looks but they seem pretty horde and the cool big stuff isnt played and Beasts in general seem pretty weak

Blades of Khorne/Slaves: They kinda fit everything I want I guess but I didnt like them as much as the others at first glance

Lumineth: I havent looked at so far so I guess I need to do that now. I hated High Elves in Warhammer, but times change I suppose ;D

Edited by RQItami