Vanari Wardens, fix the pike!

Nubgan

Hey guys, I am still painting my way through the first 10 wardens and at least 4 of them are already bending on the stupid weak point where the lines are on the haft. I know a few people have expressed how silly the pikes are and I honestly feel bad about putting then on a table to get broken by your opponent, because I would feel bad about breaking them :(

Now, a lot of people I know in my hobby group straight away say 'Brass rod this, brass rod that' and I am not convinced you even need to do this, because stick a bit of metal that is equally as long off the edge seems preposterous when you balance them on not flat surfaces and doesn't solve the issue of people not being able to properly pile in because of your social distancing pikes. So below I have attached pictures of what I think I am going to do with mine.

I believe this alternative, compared to others will:

• Make them more stable than the brass rod.
  • Make them friendlier to play against.
  • And if you use plastic glue, stronger than the original and alternatives.

How I did this was:

1. Cut behind the blade at the pointy end.
  2. Cut hand side of the moulded line on the haft.
  3. Quick file/emery board to flatten both sides.
  4. Plastic glue together.

Please feel free to share your alternatives to this problem. Would be good to see how people approach this. But it looks like I am going to go back and retroactively fix this problem!

Example length.jpg

shafts cut.jpg

• Like 3

In all fairness, given that the folks from the core set take a lot of inspiration from Greek Warfare, particularly King Phillip 2nd/Alexander the Greats army, the really long pikes do make a good deal of sense. Those folks had immensely long weapons that made the Athien Hoplites really struggle. Of course, scaled down, the only thing being injured are the shafts. XD

im painting just for fun atm, but I’ll certainly be keen to keep this in mind and experiment 

• 2 weeks later...

On thing that i was thinking about making conversion so that the "first rank" would actually have their swords up. 

on cool looking sword pose would be from shadow warrior in this picture lower left. That sword would neatly come over the shield. (AND if you would like cut the sword in half from the back of the wardens and use the parts that shows.

m3180729a_99120210023_2013shadowwarriors

also the pointing up spears would work. I have to admit that i really really REALLY like the look of those long spear, so i wouldn't personally cut them shorter

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

• 1 year later...

Has anybody tried this for a whole unit, and if so how did you find storage/transport/gaming with it?

I've done it with the test model in the picture but wasn't confident the spear tip would stay in place/fully upright when glued, so ended up doing some hacky green stuff work around the join that doesn't look great up close.

Would just filing and plastic gluing it be OK long term once it sets? Would liquid green stuff be of any benefit in strengthening the join and closing any gap a bit? My other attempt was to sculpt a channel down the middle of the ring of green stuff surrounding the join and try to paint it like it's one of the pennants they have tied round the swords. Thoughts welcomed!

20211130_215210.jpg

• Like 3

My approach was that I cut the spear above the hand and drilled a little hole in the hand. Then glued the shortened speer in that hole. Did work ok, problem was for me to get the hole right. The idea was to keep the spear tip as it is so exposed while the upper hand is covered by the shield.

No issues with transportation of whole units. You know, it's not a dawnrider banner 😅

1007863974_PXL_20211202_0749251892.jpg.24f2e7fb7b494bb968227cbbaa27dbde.jpg

PXL_20210507_064855590.jpg.26be5f2470871a1cee8e59027afc9a1e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2021 at 5:14 PM, Jefferson Skarsnik said:

Has anybody tried this for a whole unit, and if so how did you find storage/transport/gaming with it?

I've done it with the test model in the picture but wasn't confident the spear tip would stay in place/fully upright when glued, so ended up doing some hacky green stuff work around the join that doesn't look great up close.

Would just filing and plastic gluing it be OK long term once it sets? Would liquid green stuff be of any benefit in strengthening the join and closing any gap a bit? My other attempt was to sculpt a channel down the middle of the ring of green stuff surrounding the join and try to paint it like it's one of the pennants they have tied round the swords. Thoughts welcomed!

20211130_215210.jpg

This is such a nicely painted elf, fantastic volumes and tmm!

• Like 1

Thank you! The TMM is quite indebted to @JH.Miniatures excellent youtube channel, and some of Andy Wardle/ Cult of Paint's lockdown Lumineth adventures too

I found it a blast to paint, let's hope I still feel that way when I do the other nine with a battleforce box still on the way!

Edited by Jefferson Skarsnik