Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattrulesok

Your most disappointing unit in the game

Recommended Posts

What unit disappoints you the most? Which unit looks like it should be a world beater but hits like a pillow? What character is terrifying in lore but terrifyingly easy to kill in game? What units rules looked amazing on paper but just don't work on the table? What monster looks terrifying but only from the shelf? So tell me what unit do you find the most disappointing? 

 

Mine has to be Stormcast Prosecutors. I had to reread the battletome multiple times when I first saw the unit was 90 points, I thought maybe they'd be 90 each. To me they look like the elite troops in an already elite army, I wanted them to essentially be the valkyrie from god of war but they're just not, they aren't scary and don't serve much purpose. I'd love to see them reworked and turned into some super elite cavalry, have them hit as hard as any unit in the game but still be fragile, the ultimate glass cannons that move at the speed of lightning. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blood Stalkers, the bow unit for DOK

even down to 120pts, you get a 1 shot weapon that does 1 damage at rend 1. A 6 to hit is a MW that finishes that attack

the 24 inch range is great as they move 8, and 2W each is useful. Hit/wound are both on a 3 so its ok, but only 1 shot each is the killer. 120pts in a DOK army is 10 Witch Aelves/Sisters of Slaughter

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Chumphammer said:

Blood Stalkers, the bow unit for DOK

even down to 120pts, you get a 1 shot weapon that does 1 damage at rend 1. A 6 to hit is a MW that finishes that attack

the 24 inch range is great as they move 8, and 2W each is useful. Hit/wound are both on a 3 so its ok, but only 1 shot each is the killer. 120pts in a DOK army is 10 Witch Aelves/Sisters of Slaughter

Oh god yeh I was looking at that warscroll the other day, its awful. Such nice models too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I share the disappointment over Prosecutors, but the unit that has felt like the biggest letdown for me has always been Retributors. These guys should hit like a mack truck and be able to withstand incredible punishment. They just don't. Then Evocators came along and outclassed them in almost every way, adding insult to injury (I love Evocators, but I really want my Paladins to shine.)

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaos Knights for me (though I totally agree on blood stalkers too). They look like hulking knights ready to plow down anyone foolish enough to stand in their way, their lances are larger than most people and their shields are towers of metal thick enough to withstand a blow from almost any foe. They represent some of the most elite forces of Chaos - warriors who have proven themselves above the others and are one step closer to immortality, their bodies wracked with mutations and gifts that sit them above the power of any mere mortal. 

And how best to represent this unstoppable wall of metal and mutation? Apparently by giving their lance 2 attacks at 4/3/-/1.

Their lances do get better if they charge (2/4/3/-2/2), but as they're quite slow and have very few attacks, what happens 90% of the time is they charge in, fail to do the job fully as they miss a good chunk of attacks without an external buff, and then have a pillow fight for the rest of the battle - or more likely, get charged first and have a pillow fight for the full battle. Compare this to a large unit of marauders (20 models - their base size), who get 2 attacks each at  3/4/-1/1. You've got to wonder why so many people want to advance down the eight fold path.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two from me:

First is super bad to the point of it being sad: the Maggothlords cool model, not good rules they don't fight strong or do anything else interesting....

For me personally it's the also the Verminlords they just need more punch in combat they have great abilitys and spells but they are so weak in a fight it's surprising.

Overall a lot of Monters hit far too soft.

Edited by Ratty_McRatface

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

I share the disappointment over Prosecutors, but the unit that has felt like the biggest letdown for me has always been Retributors. These guys should hit like a mack truck and be able to withstand incredible punishment. They just don't. Then Evocators came along and outclassed them in almost every way, adding insult to injury (I love Evocators, but I really want my Paladins to shine.)

 

Yeh I wish retributors were better but they kind of highlight why I think prosecutors are so bad. Retributors are designed correctly they just do their job badly, add 1 extra attack on their warscroll and they suddenly feel about right. Prosecutors are designed, I feel, to be completely different to the look they give off. They are mini celestant primes and I want them to hit like mini celestant primes. Give them 5 or 6 attacks each, make them do mortals on the charge, give them exploding 6s and keep their other rules, make them closer to 200 points or even more and then they feel the way they look. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mattrulesok said:

Yeh I wish retributors were better but they kind of highlight why I think prosecutors are so bad. Retributors are designed correctly they just do their job badly, add 1 extra attack on their warscroll and they suddenly feel about right. Prosecutors are designed, I feel, to be completely different to the look they give off. They are mini celestant primes and I want them to hit like mini celestant primes. Give them 5 or 6 attacks each, make them do mortals on the charge, give them exploding 6s and keep their other rules, make them closer to 200 points or even more and then they feel the way they look. 

Yeah, the only reason I picked Retributors was because I like them a little more. I 100% agree that Prosecutors are much farther from their percieved function, probably more so than any other Stormcast unit.

Edited by OkayestDM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OkayestDM said:

Yeah, the only reason I picked Retributors was because I like them a little more. I 100% agree that Prosecutors are much farther from their percieved function, probably more so than any other Stormcast unit.

Retributors are such cool looking models, I really hope they rework some warscrolls in the next tome. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mattrulesok said:

What unit disappoints you the most? Which unit looks like it should be a world beater but hits like a pillow? What character is terrifying in lore but terrifyingly easy to kill in game? What units rules looked amazing on paper but just don't work on the table? What monster looks terrifying but only from the shelf? So tell me what unit do you find the most disappointing? 

 

Mine has to be Stormcast Prosecutors. I had to reread the battletome multiple times when I first saw the unit was 90 points, I thought maybe they'd be 90 each. To me they look like the elite troops in an already elite army, I wanted them to essentially be the valkyrie from god of war but they're just not, they aren't scary and don't serve much purpose. I'd love to see them reworked and turned into some super elite cavalry, have them hit as hard as any unit in the game but still be fragile, the ultimate glass cannons that move at the speed of lightning. 

 

Maggotkin.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chumphammer said:

Blood Stalkers, the bow unit for DOK

even down to 120pts, you get a 1 shot weapon that does 1 damage at rend 1. A 6 to hit is a MW that finishes that attack

the 24 inch range is great as they move 8, and 2W each is useful. Hit/wound are both on a 3 so its ok, but only 1 shot each is the killer. 120pts in a DOK army is 10 Witch Aelves/Sisters of Slaughter

This x100. It's my go to example for a unit that is too terrible for points changes to fix. At 160 it was useless, at 140 they were useless, at 120 they're useless, at 100 they're useless, at 80 bring 70 of them because  by that point you're paying for the base stats so the fact that it's output is godawful pathetic is irrelevant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of the cool chariot cannon units ( skull cannon and Ironblaster/ scrap launcher) they just aren’t good at shooting things. Would it hurt just to have an artillery unit function as a proper artillery unit and not some weird hybrid.

special nod also goes to the Aracknorok spider with web flanger, it’s shooting catapult attack is also really underwhelming 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Belper said:

This x100. It's my go to example for a unit that is too terrible for points changes to fix. At 160 it was useless, at 140 they were useless, at 120 they're useless, at 100 they're useless, at 80 bring 70 of them because  by that point you're paying for the base stats so the fact that it's output is godawful pathetic is irrelevant.

While I heartily agree that the Blood Stalker warscroll is very disappointing, I think you are missing a key factor: hero sniping. Vanari Sentinels have pretty bad damage output for their cost, but the fact that they have good range and proc mortal wounds off the hit roll makes them good at picking off small heroes.

At 80 points I think they'd be good enough to see play but I don't think that they would be spammable. Their offensive efficiency at 80 points still isn't that good, and their defensive efficiency is merely fine. You might see some Kunnin Rukk style builds pop up around using Morathi and/or the mixed battalion, but I don't think builds with 70 Blood Stalkers would even be particularly good.

The problem is that as soon as Blood Stalkers become passably efficient (like in the 80 to perhaps 100 point range) they give the faction access to a key element that was previously to costly to really consider: hero sniping. One of the main things that keeps DoK honest right now is that they struggle to pick off support heroes. If you let DoK players pick off 5 wound support heroes for the cost of a 200-300 point unit then it might well unbalance the faction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thundertusk or Maneaters. 

simply put, love the models. But they have no role in the army. That’s such a shame. 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, OkayestDM said:

I share the disappointment over Prosecutors, but the unit that has felt like the biggest letdown for me has always been Retributors. These guys should hit like a mack truck and be able to withstand incredible punishment. They just don't. Then Evocators came along and outclassed them in almost every way, adding insult to injury (I love Evocators, but I really want my Paladins to shine.)

 

If it helps I recently discovered, only after I made the charge, that decimators are great vs KO. Every garrisoned models counts as in range if the boat is in range... 11 attacks vs a full frigate... per decimator. 
21 if it’s a full ironclad. 😅

I’m bringing squads of 10 soon! #revengeofthepaladins

  • LOVE IT! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Thundertusk or Maneaters. 

simply put, love the models. But they have no role in the army. That’s such a shame. 

This, I get the idea of what the thundertusk is meant to do with buffing the yeti (another unit I really want to use because of lore but the models are a bit naff) but they feel so underwhelming. 

I hope Maneaters get a big fix too because the have always been an awesome concept with some of the coolest models and conversion ideas.

  • LOVE IT! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kramer said:

If it helps I recently discovered, only after I made the charge, that decimators are great vs KO. Every garrisoned models counts as in range if the boat is in range... 11 attacks vs a full frigate... per decimator. 
21 if it’s a full ironclad. 😅

I’m bringing squads of 10 soon! #revengeofthepaladins

Personally I think decimators are still good, they are the most situational of all the paladins but as a result the unit with the strongest trick, they are still pretty good at cutting through armies with high model counts. One of the last game I played with them I got a unit of 5 into battle with a full unit of chainrasp. I play with 2 maces and still managed a ludicrous 45 attacks from 3 guys. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gorebeast Chariot is such a great looking model but just doesn't cut the mustard on the tabletop

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grim Beasties said:

This, I get the idea of what the thundertusk is meant to do with buffing the yeti (another unit I really want to use because of lore but the models are a bit naff) but they feel so underwhelming. 

I hope Maneaters get a big fix too because the have always been an awesome concept with some of the coolest models and conversion ideas.

I friggin' love Decimators. I don't get a chance to use them often but - to go entirely  opposite of the intention of this thread - there are few units that more perfectly fulfill the role they are meant to play.

 

And now to get back on track, another unit that I often find disappointing are Bullgors. This one's a bit tricky, because on a good role they can flatten anything they come across, I just tend to feel like I don't get those good rolls nearly often enough.I love me my minotaurs, I just with they were 3+ to hit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second the Maggoth Lords, but would also add Beasts of Nurgle.  I love the idea of them, and would love to run a bunch of them roaming the battlefield being obnoxious, but they are so completely disappointing that I can't bring myself to do more than summon one on occasion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t play Deepkin but I am pretty sure everyone agrees that Lotann is si terrible that he become a meme in warhammer weekly

 

Also Bilepiper and Scrivener heroes are in the same boat

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nacnudllah said:

I second the Maggoth Lords, but would also add Beasts of Nurgle.  I love the idea of them, and would love to run a bunch of them roaming the battlefield being obnoxious, but they are so completely disappointing that I can't bring myself to do more than summon one on occasion.

Beasts of Nurgle have the dubious distinction of being both bad on the table and a model that's gotten worse looking each time it's been redesigned. The original model was fantastic. 

Frye this thread, I'll nominate Bloodletters. I may revise later, but for now, the 60 I bought never see the table, so they get my vote.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...