Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattrulesok

Your most disappointing unit in the game

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Nah, I disagree. They now play as stubborn pirates. that’s my treasure and I ain’t movin’

The loss of the + vs heroes and monsters is a shame. Especially because the ‘prove your worth’ narrative. 
but before the book they were nothing more than 7 bodies to bring 3 guns. That they were the butt kickers, because they were, was a mistake. This is much better, not every unit can win gold, and the elites should win the gold. And thunderers and ships now do. 
 

And then people take as few of them as they can get away with. :P. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Enoby said:

I totally agree here - and to add to this, I feel it extends to any units that look much more dangerous than they are. When you see chaos warriors, knights, and lords - alongside the bast majority of Khorne mortal heroes and units - you picture massive warriors towering over mortals, hacking them down like wheat. 

What you get is, if you're lucky, killing one or two models. While I said chaos knights earlier on (and I stick by that), I find chaos lords and "mighty" lords of Khorne feel pitiful in combat. They have their other uses in command abilities, but when their lore talks about how they're murdering machines and you use them in combat, you start to wonder whether chaos lords all follow the philosophy of "fake it 'til you make it".

Yeah, the writers really failed at doing them justice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything Stormcast,  Most Mortal Khorne units

But to me the biggest disappointment is the Celestant Prime.  In the novels he is such a bad a** and he looks so cool  But so terrible for his point value

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I'm going to get a lot of hate for saying this... but honestly one of my most dissapointing units is the Morrsarr Guard. 

They are the only worthwhile hammer in my idoneth, but off the charge they are so pillow-fisted. unless your opponent gets unlucky against the onslaught of rend '-' eel attacks, they don't do too much damage without the rend or charge bonuses they get. I can remember so many times where a squad of 9 failed to even kill 5 liberators with their spears off the charge because of how badly I rolled. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No question, the Jabberslythe. 

Not only is it glass with no hammer its unique ability will never work unless you go 2nd and get a double turn b.c its a 5+ save unit that no one will let you use and it only works on a 6+ as well. Its basically only worth 100pts for 160pts at its current point level and even then you are not taking it for its ability but its its move 12" with 10 wounds and hits slightly harder than Gors.

EDIT: here is link to it
https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-jabberslythe-en.pdf

Edited by Maddpainting
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, stratigo said:

And then people take as few of them as they can get away with. :P. 

Ehh yeah that’s mostly true 😂

but did you see the tournament Aussie list? 2x10 arkanauts. And comparing them out of faction, which is all a bit relative I agree: they are one of the best pure battleline units imo. From the cheapness of the wounds after saves. The fact that they have long ranged option. They get a bonus if they protect an objective. 10 bodies as well. (Especially in an army low on bodies)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Ehh yeah that’s mostly true 😂

but did you see the tournament Aussie list? 2x10 arkanauts. And comparing them out of faction, which is all a bit relative I agree: they are one of the best pure battleline units imo. From the cheapness of the wounds after saves. The fact that they have long ranged option. They get a bonus if they protect an objective. 10 bodies as well. (Especially in an army low on bodies)

Let's analyze them.

They have 4+ save, on par with Freeguild Guard (8 pts per body instead of 9), and seem similarely armoured (less on the body, more on arms and head).

Their pistols have 9" range, like most pistols, and they shoot twice.

Their cutters are at a reasonable profile, and their bravery fits for newer troups.

They are slow, but hold objectives well and have nice weapon options.

Their models also look brilliant, which is a plus to me.

Kharadron need to start somewhere, and Arkanauts being at 9 points per body makes narrative sense.

I guess Kharadron want a melee focussed one, for which I'd reccommend Longbeards and Ironbreakers (or stripper dwarves).

Edited by zilberfrid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Olynder

I love the model, and for that reason she is always in my army roster but she is so difficult to play as meant to... The model suffers from a badly written warscroll . She has to lead from behnd due to her 7 wounds and at the same time she has to be in the front line due to the short range of all of her abilities and her slow movement compared to the rest of the army.

If you manage to get here where needed she can be as devastating as a Mortarch should be, but this happans very very rarely...

In addition:

The  whole terryfying/ target bravery aspect of Nighthaunt is dissapointing. It could / should be the major theme of the army,. It could be the only AoS army playing around this feature adding true variety in the game. But the way things are its not working...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, chord said:

Anything Stormcast,  Most Mortal Khorne units

But to me the biggest disappointment is the Celestant Prime.  In the novels he is such a bad a** and he looks so cool  But so terrible for his point value

Oh good pull.  Yeah, he's a million miles away from where I feel like he should be.  I'd love it if he was 600 points AND actually worth 600 points.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Planar said:

Olynder

I love the model, and for that reason she is always in my army roster but she is so difficult to play as meant to... The model suffers from a badly written warscroll . She has to lead from behnd due to her 7 wounds and at the same time she has to be in the front line due to the short range of all of her abilities and her slow movement compared to the rest of the army.

If you manage to get here where needed she can be as devastating as a Mortarch should be, but this happans very very rarely...

In addition:

The  whole terryfying/ target bravery aspect of Nighthaunt is dissapointing. It could / should be the major theme of the army,. It could be the only AoS army playing around this feature adding true variety in the game. But the way things are its not working...

I feel like this is all about the overestimate of how good a 4+ unrendable save is.  I find when I play against them it rarely makes a difference (Though I main FEC so that could be part of it).  Olynder is one of the VERY few models that I think should have a 3+ unrendable, she is the Mortarch of that faction and should be really powerful to represent that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Liberator-Prime with a greatsword (and custom head, etc) that has yet to do anything. I don't want to blame his whole unit because they at least hold things for a bit, but it's become a joke with my gaming buddies of this inspiring but completely unlucky stormcast.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything with the Sylvaneth keyword :(

 

(I'm only kinda joking. I love my Sylvaneth.)

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it comes to disappointing transition of lore/model to warscroll rules, i would consider all mortal Slaves to Darkness units except Marauders and Sorcerer Lords. Especially Chaos Lords (Manticore Lord takes the lead), Warriors and Knights. They play nothing like their intimidating models or their written lore.

 Also almost all mortal Khorne for the same reason, especially their on foot melee heroes, bloodreavers and bloodwarriors.  

As a standalone unit, the jabberslythe would have my first vote, as mentioned before in the thread.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Infernalslayer said:

When it comes to disappointing transition of lore/model to warscroll rules, i would consider all mortal Slaves to Darkness units except Marauders and Sorcerer Lords. Especially Chaos Lords (Manticore Lord takes the lead), Warriors and Knights. They play nothing like their intimidating models or their written lore.

 Also almost all mortal Khorne for the same reason, especially their on foot melee heroes, bloodreavers and bloodwarriors.  

As a standalone unit, the jabberslythe would have my first vote, as mentioned before in the thread.

Back when I was a wee lad, the Chaos Sorcerer Lord was also a beast in close combat (not Khorne champion level but not too far off), not just one of the best mages in WHFB. So IMO even he is weaker than he should be. :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wired4War said:

I have a Liberator-Prime with a greatsword (and custom head, etc) that has yet to do anything. I don't want to blame his whole unit because they at least hold things for a bit, but it's become a joke with my gaming buddies of this inspiring but completely unlucky stormcast.

I like it when people have a personal relation to their models. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can this work in reverse? 

 

Eg, I like the warscroll for Ardboyz but then you see the models and just think, yuck, I'll pass. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

Can this work in reverse? 

 

Eg, I like the warscroll for Ardboyz but then you see the models and just think, yuck, I'll pass. 

eezy: marauders, salamanders :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SunStorm said:

Can this work in reverse? 

 

Eg, I like the warscroll for Ardboyz but then you see the models and just think, yuck, I'll pass. 

Mantic games has some pretty great looking heavy armored orc units.

the

They also fit the black orc theme pretty good,

and before I send anything,

are pictures of models made by a different company allowed in this community?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SunStorm said:

Can this work in reverse? 

 

Eg, I like the warscroll for Ardboyz but then you see the models and just think, yuck, I'll pass. 

Like in Yhetees? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me its got to be the Celestant Prime.   He is simply nothing like what the model and lore would have you believe.  I mean to get his points back you pretty much need to use him as a long range MW platform.  I really am not into leaving him off the board to try and maximize his attack profile for what, one combat before he gets swatted down?  I understand the theme behind the rule but seriously its just not good in the game and feels terrible leaving him off the board.  If he costs 300 points turn 1 he should be worth 300 points on turn 1, not turn 3 when he gets to swoop down and hopefully not fluff too many attacks.  Not to mention that with the rules they are putting out these days his profile feels very AoS 1 and not up to date.

Some honorable mentions go to the dracoths, fulmis, concussors, tempestors and desolators.  Just give them the old MW breath weapon, it would make them so much more grindy in combat, just as it should be.  Don't even change the points, 2 models aren't going to control an objective very long and a lot of armies have the output to punch through the armor with rend or weight of attacks. Then there is all the MW through spells flying around. 

For my other army I will go with Lotann for the obvious reasons.  Absolutely amazing model with no point or purpose in the game.

Edited by Mikosan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 1:01 PM, Harpo2 said:

Liberators to me represented what 100 points in AoS could get you but now they no longer 100 points and it feels wrong to me.

 

If they were going to reflect the lore stormcast should be immune to battleshock and probably rend -1 as well. Might be an idea if those hammers the size a car axle and swung by a hero of the old world singled out by a god were more effective than a pillow on a stick.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Laststand said:

If they were going to reflect the lore stormcast should be immune to battleshock and probably rend -1 as well. Might be an idea if those hammers the size a car axle and swung by a hero of the old world singled out by a god were more effective than a pillow on a stick.  

Agreed, Stormcasts should be utter melee beasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I say the BoC (baring Bestigors, Ungors, Gavespawn) book?  

 As a BoC player for 17 years this book washed out from what we had.  Gors got worse, the Jabberslythe got way worse, the cmd ability for the Doombull got worse, Spells are confusing or useless short ranges..  WTF?!?!?!?!!?  There is little synergy in the book.  They added a little and took away as much.

 

No wait.  Alarielle.  600 points lacking a DPR and ability to cast effectively and her "summoning" ability has been weakened over time or was plain poor choice-wise to begin with.  WTF,.. 4+ to hit.  <shakes head>.  

 

Yes,. salty... O_O...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...